Teapot

Beach Lan 5: $3,500 Halo CE Tournament - Powered by Weedmaps

Couldn't give a fuck who casts, just knowing somebody will be saying SOMETHING during hour(s) long series's. That's gonna be huge.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Any extra draw for more viewers would be important and beneficial. I'm not the one to say if it's worth it or not or how many viewers he could bring in, but the chance is there to increase viewership. 2k for 10 extra viewers wouldnt be worth it, but 2k for 1000 viewers? Possibly.

People put in countless hours of free time into building the Halo 1 community, far more time than 2000 dollars is worth, IMO. Spending money isn't too much different than spending time, and no one ever questions it.

Important and beneficial... to whom? There's no return on the investment if the community is the one fronting the bill. Say he brings in 10k viewers, who does that benefit? We aren't selling anything, we aren't pitching anything.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If the community, 20-30 people or whatever, decide they wanna scrounge up money with the sole purpose of having T2, or whoever, commentate because they want to hear them discuss the game, ok. But don't do it for a persons e-sports celebrity. If you want knowledgeable, funny, engaging etc, there's tons of people who will do it for less than 2k. Hell, we give Doc a plane ticket and a case of Coors light and he's good to go.

I personally think Ryu should do it. For all the above reasons, plus he has a huge Twitch following

• Upvote (+1) 2

This is just my opinion of course, but that's quite a bit of money to spend. Not saying it's not worth it because this is going to be fucking awesome to watch, however I think that's a bit much all things included. Like others have mentioned, have you guys thought about asking others who will already be there to cast while they're not playing? 

And this is kind of my idea, whenever you guys don't have a caster possibly come up with a way so that the stream can hear callouts (A listen-in if you will)?

See if you can get some players to host the stream instead? 2k is a lot, I'd say get someone whos actually in the h1 community

Bummer about Walshy not being there. FYI I tweeted Puckett and he's only staying til that Tuesday so he wouldn't be able to cast the tournaments. IMO if that $1.5-2k includes flight+hotel+meals+fee it really isn't that much. Flight alone from Cali to Tampa is probably around $700-$800. Food for thought

If the community, 20-30 people or whatever, decide they wanna scrounge up money with the sole purpose of having T2, or whoever, commentate because they want to hear them discuss the game, ok. But don't do it for a persons e-sports celebrity. If you want knowledgeable, funny, engaging etc, there's tons of people who will do it for less than 2k. Hell, we give Doc a plane ticket and a case of Coors light and he's good to go.

I personally think Ryu should do it. For all the above reasons, plus he has a huge Twitch following

As a new person, I might be too oblivious to growing the scene if that's the right word. Games 15 years old, probably no new growth is possible. But I was excited at the thought of t2 being there and potentially bringing viewers in. I just see what smash did with an old game and get kind of envious I guess.

2k is a lot, and it would be for the potential viewers he might bring, not the casting or knowledge. But, we don't even know how many viewers he would bring, so it really risky and you probably won't get return on investment

Important and beneficial... to whom? There's no return on the investment if the community is the one fronting the bill. Say he brings in 10k viewers, who does that benefit? We aren't selling anything, we aren't pitching anything.

I want the community to be bigger because I love Halo 1. It doesn't really benefit me tangibly but I have always wanted to see this and for more people to recognize its greatness.

Whether he would bring in that many new fans for the money is the question.

Trust me, I'm with y'all on expanding the community. I wouldn't wanna tally the amount of time and money I've put into the game and scene. There's nothing I'd want more than to see it blow up or get popular or even get marginally more popular.

But when we are talking $2k of people's money, let's at least discuss the reality of it and have realistic expectations. Not just say "oh he has X amount of Twitter followers" or whatever

Mind you, I have no idea what I'm talking about. I know nothing about anything, social media wise, or how valued that stuff is.

How did smash revitalize their community? I'm not gonna stop calling people faggots, that's for sure

• Upvote (+1) 2

I matched the Beyond donation with the intent that it goes towards the prize pool. Depending what the next donations are, I'll put the remainder towards whatever comes up first. If someone donates $250 towards getting T2 to the event, I'll match that and call it a day, but if someone donates towards the prize pool first I'll put the money towards that.

How did smash revitalize their community? I'm not gonna stop calling people faggots, that's for sure

Smash always had strong local scenes around the world in every major city, to my knowledge they existed even when Smash was "dead". They had a large tournament as a final goodbye that a lot of old players and personalities chose to go to, and it pumped excitement back into the community and a lot of people began to join after that. Mix in the Evo appearance and a few other factors, and the game was back in the spotlight.

I feel our equivalent would be making a ton of local scenes across North America (Europe would be nice, but North America was always where Halo was dominant), and then throw a massive tournament to market the game where a ton of old players come back (Ogre twins team up, Zyos plays, Darkman comes back, etc.). Hope people tune in to watch, then if they want to play they can hopefully already find a local scene that will invite them in.

So in other words, we would need to build from the ground up what Smash had already built before it died. It would definitely be hard. Beach LAN is a wonderful start, but asking new players to fly out to potentially get trashed for an entire week since they can't practice at home unless they play MCC is a tough sell. Not to bash Beach LAN, I think it's wonderful and McDick has put considerably more effort into nurturing Halo CE then I ever will.

Finally, I'll say this about T2. Even if he doesn't come out, if he doesn't tweet about the stream then he's definitely in it just for the money. I get that he's an adult and needs to pay bills, and perhaps the $2k is mostly cost of flights/hotel (I have no idea what that costs), but if he can't send a tweet without being paid to be there then it could be tough to get him to support the scene in the future without being paid for it. Perhaps this year it may be best to just see what the pro/personality response is to this event, and perhaps try to plan for next year if there's going to be another LAN? Just food for thought.

• Upvote (+1) 3

You could make the argument that McDick and Phat are a better team. They PUNISHED Jownz and Nistic for a whole day once

Indeed.  Some people just compliment each other's play style better.

Me and Phat go way back to when we were both on Clan OS during the early XBC days.  Phat got very good over the years.

I'm with you guys on not spending the 2k just to have T2 do it.  There's gotta be a better way.

A better return on exposure would be more frequent "Beach Lan" level events. Also if they were more spread across NA, it would make it more accessible physically and be more relatable to casuals. Even just having a "Beach Lan" level event every 6 month instead of every 12 I think would keep Halo 1 in people's minds more. It's really easy to just gear up for this when it's a month out then forget about it once all of the game plays are released. To me $2k would be better spent trying to set up an event on the west coast or in the northeast or something.

In terms of casting, it would also probably be better to have the caster for the game to come from the scene and understand where it's at today. Would T2 even know what the new maps are called/like? At this point, Halo 1 is on to its second life with NHE and the new maps, so relying on people who became popular 15 years ago would be a short term solution.

I think if people are really worried about exposure then there should be a more concerted effort towards streaming. Streaming local LANs aren't enough though and are few and far between. One thing I've really wanted to experiment with is using NHE over Xlink, where the host is at a third location (just need to have one two-box). It might make Xlink/XBC more fun, and what if we could get a few boxes colocated in server farms across the country (which would really minimize ping)? I am pretty confident I could figure out how to remotely control an xbox. Maybe streaming doesn't happen live either. It happens on a "tape-delay" and because of that the xlink connection is not compromised, the broadcast is more polished, and the players could even retroactively commentate themselves like Missingno's vids.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The Smash documentary helped to boost the scene as well. I found it pretty interesting even as a very casual Smash player (haven't really played that much for years). I wonder if EastPoint would ever consider doing one for Halo although a lot of our players have moved on.

Anyway, if we can get other people to confidently cast the tournament for much cheaper, that would be completely fine with me.

A better return on exposure would be more frequent "Beach Lan" level events. Also if they were more spread across NA, it would make it more accessible physically and be more relatable to casuals. Even just having a "Beach Lan" level event every 6 month instead of every 12 I think would keep Halo 1 in people's minds more. It's really easy to just gear up for this when it's a month out then forget about it once all of the game plays are released. To me $2k would be better spent trying to set up an event on the west coast or in the northeast or something.

In terms of casting, it would also probably be better to have the caster for the game to come from the scene and understand where it's at today. Would T2 even know what the new maps are called/like? At this point, Halo 1 is on to its second life with NHE and the new maps, so relying on people who became popular 15 years ago would be a short term solution.

I think if people are really worried about exposure then there should be a more concerted effort towards streaming. Streaming local LANs aren't enough though and are few and far between. One thing I've really wanted to experiment with is using NHE over Xlink, where the host is at a third location (just need to have one two-box). It might make Xlink/XBC more fun, and what if we could get a few boxes colocated in server farms across the country (which would really minimize ping)? I am pretty confident I could figure out how to remotely control an xbox. Maybe streaming doesn't happen live either. It happens on a "tape-delay" and because of that the xlink connection is not compromised, the broadcast is more polished, and the players could even retroactively commentate themselves like Missingno's vids.

Speaking of Missingno, what is he up to? I would love to have someone like him as an analyst caster. Then you could someone who is just passionate play-by-play casting to bring excitement to the stream.

Speaking of Missingno, what is he up to? I would love to have someone like him as an analyst caster. Then you could someone who is just passionate play-by-play casting to bring excitement to the stream.

He lives like 20 miles from me and I was at his place last weekend. He didn't plan to go cause his wife just got a new job and something something I forget. But he had some reason

He lives like 20 miles from me and I was at his place last weekend. He didn't plan to go cause his wife just got a new job and something something I forget. But he had some reason

Damn, a lot of bad timing this year.

2k would be better spent getting m2k or mango to come down and cast if youre talking about viewers

m2k played lots of hpc if it counts for anything lmao

heck, if we're talking about 2k on 1 person, it better be no1 else than summit1g. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

They made a 8 20min mini documentary on the players as well as raise 95k for breast cancer to get back into the 15-year top dog for fighting game tournament events after a 6 year hiatus from that scene. A mod was also launched around then to get all the people who played the other smash game to play a game similar to Melee but still retaining the new brawl graphics and some gimmicks which brought the scene together for tournaments. 

also vgbcbootcamp stream melee events like 3x/week. 

I have always thought that CE has similar potential as Melee. I would love to see CE tournaments become more of a common thing. They are both proof that newer is not always better.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Sooo disappointed that Walshy won't be in attendance.

Yeah everyone is pretty bummed about that. It would have been excellent exposure for us but regardless it would have been really cool to watch walshy cast and play.

tfw you see all this cool ce stuff but you live in europe :)))))))))))

You can get in contact with FiL4 from Poland! I believe he has the largest collection of CE videos from the MLG gameroom and stuff that is gone.

This is just my opinion of course, but that's quite a bit of money to spend. Not saying it's not worth it because this is going to be fucking awesome to watch, however I think that's a bit much all things included. Like others have mentioned, have you guys thought about asking others who will already be there to cast while they're not playing? 

And this is kind of my idea, whenever you guys don't have a caster possibly come up with a way so that the stream can hear callouts (A listen-in if you will)?

People don't call out at these things.  They can see their partner's screen, and the opponents are sitting right across from them.  Teapot was telling me how his habit of calling out was actually making his partner mad, because he already knew it, and it was giving the opponent information.  Pretty sure most of what you would hear on a listen in would be either trash talk or complaining, and probably a lot of swearing. lol

Yeah everyone is pretty bummed about that. It would have been excellent exposure for us but regardless it would have been really cool to watch walshy cast and play.

You can get in contact with FiL4 from Poland! I believe he has the largest collection of CE videos from the MLG gameroom and stuff that is gone.

I live pretty far away from Poland but I guess I can try to get a hold of him anyway