Teapot

Beach Lan 5: $3,500 Halo CE Tournament - Powered by Weedmaps

"It has not been confirmed yet but chances are that Patch and Legend will not be allowed to team together."

Let's talk about this. Does the community think this is right, wrong, fair, justified?

The core members of our group think it's wrong, fringe members haven't voiced much of an opinion. What does the "general public" think? Should Sean and I be declined partnership like we are homos in 2003?

Personally I think the finals would be more exciting if you were on opposite teams, but if you are dead set on playing together then they should let you. I'd rather see you in the tournament dominating than not at all.

"It has not been confirmed yet but chances are that Patch and Legend will not be allowed to team together."

Let's talk about this. Does the community think this is right, wrong, fair, justified?

The core members of our group think it's wrong, fringe members haven't voiced much of an opinion. What does the "general public" think? Should Sean and I be declined partnership like we are homos in 2003?

I just think it makes the tournament winner nearly a foregone conclusion.

What about this? You team with Sean for the tournament. If you win, you split and each pick a partner of your choosing. One series, winner gets half of the others winnings.

I think if you guys teamed all the time together on mcc, lan, xbc, or back in the day, it would be fine. But if that's not the case I just see L+P as a money grab instead of some type of competitive integrity issue.

I think it's up to the bread makers and the tournament organizers to decide

• Upvote (+1) 1

I mean legend donated his winnings last year so I'm not convinced they're doing it as a money grab. They'd still pocket a decent amount for both reaching the finals on opposing teams too.

I think there will be a lot more discussion and hype about which of your teams is performing better as you roll over early round competition leading up to the final. That's the benefit I see to splitting you guys up. There will be far less people tuning in I think if everyone assumes you will win anyway. Unless there is another team that is attending that has really pushed you guys to the limit before?

• Upvote (+1) 2

As someone who plays a large role in the fringe member community, I'm pretty much indifferent here..

I want to say the concern started before we agreed upon the tournament format. Tiered random partners worked out well last year, but lack of substantial prize money allowed for that tournament to run as casual and fun for attendees. I was under the impression that regardless of substantial prize money, players were not going to bother even playing in the tournament because they feel as if they are playing for 2nd place at best. If that was the case than I would be in favor of not letting you guys team for the unfortunate fact that others aren't hungry to beat the best. I would want as many people playing as possible. I asked a few times in the chat and it seemed like I was somewhat wrong about people dodging but it's still hard to tell.

If you guys teaming doesn't cause others to completely opt out of the tournament than I'm fine with it. Even regardless though, we are running two tournaments and I thought that had solved both problems of casual and competitive. One thing we have to figure out too is how we split the prize amongst the tournaments. I'm pretty sure McDick and I haven't discussed this at all. I am in favor of having more prize money go to the pick your partner tournament.

I'll prob touch more on this later tonight.

• Upvote (+1) 1

We have teamed way back, on xbc, MCC etc. We've been good friends since at least '06. It's just been tough to ever team cause everyone always complains. You would think the time we WOULD be able to team would be for money/tournament, because it means something. People don't even let us play together casually, like what do we need to do??

I don't think people would duck. Sean and I have both volunteered our winnings, in whatever capacity. Increase prize pool for 2nd and 3rd. We offered to sit out until the finals since it's such a foregone conclusion.

Like, the pressure is on us. We are capable of playing bad and there are very good players attending. We are havin two tournaments for this very reason. It's by no means a money grab, people won't play us casually. This at least forces the other good kids to play us

• Upvote (+1) 4

We have teamed way back, on xbc, MCC etc. We've been good friends since at least '06. It's just been tough to ever team cause everyone always complains. You would think the time we WOULD be able to team would be for money/tournament, because it means something. People don't even let us play together casually, like what do we need to do??

I don't think people would duck. Sean and I have both volunteered our winnings, in whatever capacity. Increase prize pool for 2nd and 3rd. We offered to sit out until the finals since it's such a foregone conclusion.

Like, the pressure is on us. We are capable of playing bad and there are very good players attending. We are havin two tournaments for this very reason. It's by no means a money grab, people won't play us casually. This at least forces the other good kids to play us

This is what I was missing. I didn't understand why you wanted to play together so badly but I can see it now. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I figured this was the case (not being allowed to team usually).

If you volunteer your winnings that is a very selfless move and I fully support letting you guys team together for that fact alone.

I'd prefer to see you guys play throughout a whole tournament. I'm sure you guys want to play more than one series as well. But I'll support whatever your decision is as a group.

I say, let them play. And I am donating some money to the pool. Just haven't decided the amount.

If there's going to be two separate tournaments, I say let Patch and Legend play with each other for the pick-your-partner tournament. Unless half of the group doesn't want to play because of it. But there's already a tournament for fun, closer matches for people to try hard in.

Mind you, I'm a very far outsider to this group of players, and will just be happily spectating, so make of that what you will.

• Upvote (+1) 2

As an outside observer, and someone who is just going to be spectating, would there still be close games? That is all that matters to me haha. The best deserve to win, but I just want to watch some, close, high level halo. 

As an outside observer, and someone who is just going to be spectating, would there still be close games? That is all that matters to me haha. The best deserve to win, but I just want to watch some, close, high level halo.

There are multiple teams who anticipate winning some games from us. Nistic is also considering attending, which would close the talent gap significantly.

There are a lot of good people going, I can't speak on how close series would be because no one in the top 15 has ever agreed to play us. We will be the favorites, but we've never actually played anyone good (aside from the other 2 in the top 4)

• Upvote (+1) 3

I would love to see any combination of Shade/Nistic/McDick play Legend and Patch.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I would love to see any combination of Shade/Nistic/McDick play Legend and Patch.

You could make the argument that McDick and Phat are a better team. They PUNISHED Jownz and Nistic for a whole day once

• Upvote (+1) 1

I really want this to reach a $4000 prize pool. A donation was made tonight to hit $3000, and I'll match the next $500 worth of donations as they come in.

• Upvote (+1) 4

You could make the argument that McDick and Phat are a better team. They PUNISHED Jownz and Nistic for a whole day once

Those were delirious games, not to be taken seriously 

Those were delirious games, not to be taken seriously

Ahh, so humble. He is a man of the people, just not quite for the people... yet.

I really want this to reach a $4000 prize pool. A donation was made tonight to hit $3000, and I'll match the next $500 worth of donations as they come in.

I may be able to accomplish that $500 soon, it's in the works

• Upvote (+1) 5

I just think it makes the tournament winner nearly a foregone conclusion.

What about this? You team with Sean for the tournament. If you win, you split and each pick a partner of your choosing. One series, winner gets half of the others winnings.

I figured this was the case (not being allowed to team usually).

If you volunteer your winnings that is a very selfless move and I fully support letting you guys team together for that fact alone.

I'd prefer to see you guys play throughout a whole tournament. I'm sure you guys want to play more than one series as well. But I'll support whatever your decision is as a group.

I say, let them play. And I am donating some money to the pool. Just haven't decided the amount.

What's the point of a pick-your-partner tournament if there's going to be exceptions?

P & L should be able to team. That was the whole point of having two tournaments...

Hell I'll take it a step farther and say they should be able to keep their winnings too.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What's the point of a pick-your-partner tournament if there's going to be exceptions?

P & L should be able to team. That was the whole point of having two tournaments...

Hell I'll take it a step farther and say they should be able to keep their winnings too.

If they so choose to keep it that is their right. I'm just saying anybody who is on the fence about it should be in full support if they are donating even some of it back to the community.

Yeah we have to figure out these rules soon. I think that's awesome if Patch and Legend want to give their winnings back but I'm also fine with them keeping it too. Maybe we can lift the P+L embargo by implementing a P+L tax which takes 85% of their winnings.  :kappa:  Really though I think you made good points patch.

Huge thanks to @. This guy is awesome! Can't tell you how much I appreciate your support with this LAN as well as everything else you've supported. I think that between a couple people interested in donating we can muster up the extra $500 to match yours.

Lastly it looks like we will have major Halo 5 super star and undisputed 2nd place finisher in the first Halo online cup, @@KingNick in attendance.

• Upvote (+1) 4