Teapot

Beach Lan 5: $3,500 Halo CE Tournament - Powered by Weedmaps

We have been working on this stuff for a few weeks now. It's great to see it all come together. I'll try to update the OP later today or after work with some more details.

A huge thanks goes out to @@CodyDragon. He is the head of Weedmaps new e-sports division and has a huge passion for Halo 1-3 and the MLG days in general. You may have seen him post a few pages back about helping out and boy are we glad he did. Like McDick said, if we are successful here with this event than its possible that we can do something bigger in the future. I'm not quite sure if the tickets have been booked officially yet but both Jeenyus and Walshy are able to go because Cody is helping them get there. Having Walshy there is awesome and we'll hopefully have him in the booth. Having Jeenyus there is huge though for production value. With Jeenyus there we should have a better stream set up than what I had posted before.

What has been killing me this past couple weeks is not being able to disclose the info. One piece of info I have been dying to share is that the prize pool has increased by $2,000. We already has a prize pool of $310 before this and we are going to figure out the payouts soon. What we have to figure out is how to split the prize money between the two tournaments. Some may suggest evenly, but I am in favor of having the pick your partner tournament have a higher pay out.

This will be one of the largest Halo CE tournaments in over a decade both in terms of prize pool and attendance. Specifically, the largest Halo 1.5 Neutral Host Edition tournament, which imo is essentially the "Project M" of Smash. On top of that, it takes place in arguably the nicest location a tournaments ever been held.. literally on the damn beach. I'll continue to post updates before the LAN but I plan on bringing my laptop out or something and updating throughout the week there.

@@Teapot how can I contribute extra cash to this tournament? Pm me if you want. PS I agree that the pick your partner tourney should be much higher payout.

God I wish I could go this year. Was planning on it but had to back out last minute.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Teapot how can I contribute extra cash to this tournament? Pm me if you want. PS I agree that the pick your partner tourney should be much higher payout.

God I wish I could go this year. Was planning on it but had to back out last minute.

There is a paypal to donate to on the first page.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Thanks for the all the support though guys! @@VinnyMendoza, there is a paypal in the OP that is McDick's paypal. I think next year maybe we can set up an account specifically for the BL funds. PM me if you do donate and let me know how much. I've done a terrible job of saving money lately but I want to up the prize pool to even it out at $2,500 if possible. I'll pay some bills and get my next paycheck and see what I can do by the end of this week.

By the way, as far as I know Beyond is helping and supporting us as well. Cody had spoken with them and told me they are helping but we didn't get into all the details. I believe they are going to send a couple of tweets out for the tournaments. I think he mentioned one other thing but they do seem supportive which is HUGE. I posted on the previous page about needing as much support as possible and this is a major help. Now I wrote that yesterday already aware that beyond was going to help, but I wrote that mostly in terms of pro's or others helping support. That to me would be incredible but I have a good feeling that it's unlikely. Honestly, the only green name you'll ever see in here is @@Batchford which I'm thankful for.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Does anyone have contact with other pros to try to convince them to tweet about it? Could Walshy pull a few strings maybe? And has anyone talked to Hardy Lebel? He doesn't have a huge following but would still be cool to get his support.

@@Teapot I'll pm you and we'll talk about how to make it an even $2500. Would be nice if some other fellows chipped in to bring it closer to $3000 though :)

As for Beyond, can they not at least post on the home page about it? Would be nice. This website is about supporting competitive Halo as a whole right? :)

• Upvote (+1) 2

Does anyone have contact with other pros to try to convince them to tweet about it? Could Walshy pull a few strings maybe? And has anyone talked to Hardy Lebel? He doesn't have a huge following but would still be cool to get his support.

@@Teapot I'll pm you and we'll talk about how to make it an even $2500. Would be nice if some other fellows chipped in to bring it closer to $3000 though :)

As for Beyond, can they not at least post on the home page about it? Would be nice. This website is about supporting competitive Halo as a whole right? :)

I'll check my e-mails but in talking with Cody who talked to the folks here at beyond, I believe he had said that they were going to tweet it out and write an article, or something. I could be wrong though.

Hardy Lebel knows about the tournament and I continue to remind him about every other week. It actually sounded like he wanted to attend at one point but wasn't sure where it was or how it was set up.

As far as anyone else going, I highly doubt it. We tried reaching out to a good number of people such as Ogre 2, Harris, T2, Puckett etc. The others might be busy or have a contract in place that prevents them from going/casting etc but Harris for example just flat out turned down the opportunity to have his flight and hotel covered and a very very good chance of coming in the top 2 to win money for one of the largest payouts for Halo CE in a long time. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Tweeting @@Bravo and other 343 employees might be worth a shot. A few of them are CE fans themselves after all.

I'll check my e-mails but in talking with Cody who talked to the folks here at beyond, I believe he had said that they were going to tweet it out and write an article, or something. I could be wrong though.

Hardy Lebel knows about the tournament and I continue to remind him about every other week. It actually sounded like he wanted to attend at one point but wasn't sure where it was or how it was set up.

As far as anyone else going, I highly doubt it. We tried reaching out to a good number of people such as Ogre 2, Harris, T2, Puckett etc. The others might be busy or have a contract in place that prevents them from going/casting etc but Harris for example just flat out turned down the opportunity to have his flight and hotel covered and a very very good chance of coming in the top 2 to win money for one of the largest payouts for Halo CE in a long time. 

That's really disappointing about Harris. And I realize most will be unable to come, but could we try to convince them to tweet about it? Not even just the old guys but any newer ones like @@RyaNoob who you pointed out earlier. @@Batchford you better spread the word you loveable bastard. I wonder if Roybox would tweet about it?

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Teapot, just donated $25 to the prize pool. Hopefully we can get more to donate as the date draws near. Knowing that there would be casters convinced me to donate.

• Upvote (+1) 2

@@Teapot, just donated 25 to the prize pool. Hopefully we can get more to donate as the date draws near. Knowing that there would be casters convinced me to donate.

Thanks! Yeah I'll keep my fingers crossed but I think we can reach the $2,500 mark. It certainly has a better ring to it than $2,300.

Also in regards to tweeting 343, feel free to do so but I have a good number of times and I haven't gotten any responses. I even sent @@Sal1ent a PM but he didn't read it apparently. I feel as if I shouldn't have put H1 in the title because I'm pretty sure he's read every other PM I sent him. With their focus on the HCS I just can't see them helping out a grass roots CE event or really any event that features a non 343 Halo game.

That's really disappointing about Harris. And I realize most will be unable to come, but could we try to convince them to tweet about it? Not even just the old guys but any newer ones like @@RyaNoob who you pointed out earlier. @@Batchford you better spread the word you loveable bastard. I wonder if Roybox would tweet about it?

I mentioned him specifically because I believe he lives somewhat close by and has LAN'd with McDick before. I honestly think the chance of him even acknowledging this thread is about the same as him attending but I figured it can't hurt to try. It would still be great if Ogre 2 or Puckett could tweet about it with their vast amount of Halo followers. I might tag a bunch of pros in this thread and see if they would care to do something like this but I don't put too much stock into seeing any responses. Halo's always been different from the FGC. We're a segmented community and for the most part people only tend to support one game or community.

As far as Harris goes I think he's just decided its time he hangs up the sticks. Bad timing, but these guys have been on the decade long grind. 

Hmm... this sounds like a good time  :thinking:

Each day that passes I get more and more anxious haha. This is essentially a Halo nerds dream vacation!

• Upvote (+1) 4

Just bought my plane ticket, finally. Thanks for doing all of this jazz, Teapot. Even though I won't be playing in the tournament, I'm looking forward to watching it. I arrive on Sunday so I assume we will meet at some point that day

• Upvote (+1) 3

Does the winner of this tournament get the pro tag on forums?  :kappa:

Though serous. That sponsorship is so awesome. I'm so hyped about the streaming booth. Heck...get some CRT monitors or sony BVMs/pvms and we can stream in glorious 480p. ]

Thanks @@CodyDragon for making this happen. ofc you too teapot and mcdick

• Upvote (+1) 1

Also just read facebook chat. Puckett said he and sundance might drop by after MLG orlando. Also glad you get to make it out this year teapot. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Whatever the total prize pool is, Frank O'Connor should match it. 

Figure it's the least he could do after allowing CE on MCC to be f'd up so badly.......

• Upvote (+1) 2

I have to ask McDick since I can't see the amounts people donate to his account.. but we should have hit the $2,500 mark! We had a generous donor reach out to me and I'll update the OP when I can find out the exact total. Who knows? Maybe we'll have some more surprises..

especially when you find out who the donor was.  :intel:

• Upvote (+1) 6

Is it bad that I am more excited for this than the HCS Pro league season 1 finals this weekend? 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Some ideas for increasing exposure:

- Ask pros or other people with a big presence on Twitch to host the stream for a match or two (maybe Beyond could host it as well)

- Some sort of hype video, or maybe even a gif, so people can get a taste of it on social media. That clip of someone nading snipe on HeH and getting a double got on the front page of Reddit, right?

- Consider putting a link to this thread or the stream in your signature or pinning it to your Twitter page once it starts

Is it bad that I am more excited for this than the HCS Pro league season 1 finals this weekend?

I didn't even know it was this weekend.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

Same^ whelp thankfully now I'll have something good to watch instead of watching a match or two of the h5 lan.

@@Sal1ent, thanks for the support! Awesome to see a dev give their own money towards something like this. $200 dollars is no small donation either.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I think it's really awesome to have his support. I was only able to respond to him late last night so we'll see where it goes but I'm super stoked. I don't think or expect that this is something that 343 is going to get involved with, but something Josh was willing to support personally. His support alone in my opinion is worth more to me than just the money he donated. Sorry if that sounds cheesy but it's the truth.

Don't remember if I posted it already but I've tried to organize something substantial for a few years. I've never thrown anything bigger than a normal LAN. I tried reaching out to more groups than I could remember. PGL, UMG, AGL, even battlefield Knoxville when that was a thing. I'm sure I've reached out to others. I never had any luck honestly from anyone so after all these years its nice to see something come together.

• Upvote (+1) 4

"It has not been confirmed yet but chances are that Patch and Legend will not be allowed to team together."

Let's talk about this. Does the community think this is right, wrong, fair, justified?

The core members of our group think it's wrong, fringe members haven't voiced much of an opinion. What does the "general public" think? Should Sean and I be declined partnership like we are homos in 2003?

• Upvote (+1) 3