Teapot

Beach Lan 5: $3,500 Halo CE Tournament - Powered by Weedmaps

I have little to do with the actual set up or execution of this LAN, but I am open to suggestions that I can pass along to others. I'm hoping to talk to Jeenyus and see what we can do about the stream situation.

I'm going.

Edit: Just RSVP'd with a room :)

Did you get the last room? I see on the site that there are 0 left, but still an option to purchase a room through paypal.

Pretty early. I want to go, I might go. Just depends on scheduling.

Same.

I have little to do with the actual set up or execution of this LAN, but I am open to suggestions that I can pass along to others. I'm hoping to talk to Jeenyus and see what we can do about the stream situation.

Did you get the last room? I see on the site that there are 0 left, but still an option to purchase a room through paypal.

Same.

I'm not sure if I did or not. I missed the room counter before paying. Didn't know there was one. But the option to pay for the room was certainly there.

As for suggestions, I would LOVE the chance to cast this thing. I could bring a mic and any other things we might need if it's an option.

And @@Teapot, if I'm flying in from Hawaii then you can make it from Jersey! Haha I'll need you to carry me so you better go!

I'm not sure if I did or not. I missed the room counter before paying. Didn't know there was one. But the option to pay for the room was certainly there.

As for suggestions, I would LOVE the chance to cast this thing. I could bring a mic and any other things we might need if it's an option.

260$ = room. 60$ = couch / floor. Mcdick just asked if you were the next Cat. "cat" paid for a room last year but didn't show up to the lan.

260$ = room. 60$ = couch / floor. Mcdick just asked if you were the next Cat. "cat" paid for a room last year but didn't show up to the lan.

The only way I wouldn't be there is if the Army fucks me over. I am active duty but I'm planning to take leave for this.

I still can't believe I had no idea this existed while I was taking classes at USF from 2009-2014. I would have definietly gone every year. I guess I need to book a hotel room and flight for this summer :)

And @@Teapot, if I'm flying in from Hawaii then you can make it from Jersey! Haha I'll need you to carry me so you better go!

I'd love to go and am working on figuring if it's feasible or not. I'm taking a trip in a few weeks, and then really want to make Gamers for Giving a priority next year even though I don't have the dates. Thats a priority because I kinda have some big plans for that. No details yet but I hope to host a shadowrun lan there but there's so much left to plan.

If I do go we will definitely partner up but there will be no carrying done on my end. These guys are too good and will stomp us lol but in all honesty I look forward to that. It's odd but there's a few shooters I really don't get mad at when getting demolished (especially in LAN) and this is one of them. If anything I become humbled and treat it as a learning experience. 

@@BlackShadow They also have a pretty healthy LAN scene down there.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Let me know if you open up the prize pool to donations, I can't help a lot but I'd pitch in a bit.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Let me know if you open up the prize pool to donations, I can't help a lot but I'd pitch in a bit.

It's definitely open for donations. In all honesty I might even push harder for this to be crowd funded rather than last year when I knew I couldn't attend and just put up the money regardless. I don't think I'll match the $500 like last year but I def see myself putting in at least another $100 but will have a better idea of what I can contribute after I come back from Denver, as well as look into the expenses required for a Shadowrun LAN next year.

Let me talk to McDick and see what he wants to do. To clarify how this has worked, I just gifted the money to McDick's paypal rather than a separate fund for the BL. I can confirm that the tournament was successful and everyone was paid out. I don't think I should link his paypal here publicly or if that's even allowed here on this website.

I can't remember whose idea it was, but it was someone that posts here. They suggested asking McDick to increase the cost by $10 and throw that into the pool. If 30 people attend that's an easy $300 extra that can help increase the pool and generate a lot of interest.

edit: before I give out the paypal account, I'll see how he wants to handle this.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The only way I wouldn't be there is if the Army fucks me over. I am active duty but I'm planning to take leave for this.

Honestly I'm not sure you'll be welcomed there ...?  My impression is that they tend to turn away anyone but sweaty dip-chewing OG players, not sure if they want you taking up a slot (being serious)

Honestly I'm not sure you'll be welcomed there ...?  My impression is that they tend to turn away anyone but sweaty dip-chewing OG players, not sure if they want you taking up a slot (being serious)

minus the dip chewing that's pretty much me anyways.  but if that's the case he can tell me himself.  otherwise i wanna go.

@@McDick

minus the dip chewing that's pretty much me anyways.  but if that's the case he can tell me himself.  otherwise i wanna go.

@@McDick

I just mean if you're not literally top 100 players in the world, no one will want to play 2v2s with you etc; IIRC, in the past McDick has directed newer or less skilled players to local LANs.  Hopefully not, just wanted to warn you before you bought plane tickets

It's tough to group up everyone together that is attending. I think the general consensus is that nobody there will be putting any time into helping a new player improve constructively. I've been a part of numerous small competitive communities and I can somewhat understand the logic there.

On the other hand I don't think they really care that a player is taking up a spot unless that player has literally never played Halo CE and doesn't understand the meta behind it. As long as you know spawns, understand how to move around the map while timing the weapons, and a few nade points than you should be good to go.

I can see a lot of people not willing to team with newer players but I don't think they care about attendance. Also, not a knock to forum goers here but I know Droid and Oh4 went last year and I don't think they come close to the rest of the players if looking at a tier list.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@McDick, if it is indeed an issue, I would recommend asking Ray Shade about me.  He could tell you what you need to know.  My name is Zach Johnson.

@@McDick, if it is indeed an issue, I would recommend asking Ray Shade about me.  He could tell you what you need to know.  My name is Zach Johnson.

I doubt he'll pop up anytime soon but I can message him on facebook if need be. I feel like if he was really concerned he would have mentioned something, but all he was concerned about is if anyone knew you and thought if you would actually show up or pull a "cat" like Oh4 said. 

If that's Oh4 that responded in the message than he already vouched for you. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Normally I don't double post but I'm gonna be a creep and copy this picture that Legend posted in the chat. Didn't realize they did this but I think it's pretty cool.

U2Plo0K.jpg?1

• Upvote (+1) 2

To everyone that is unsure if they should attend,

There is a wide range of skill present at the beach lan so you will almost certainly find people that are close enough in skill to you to create enjoyable games. If you are wanting to attend with the mindset that you are going to regularly play the game for the purpose of continuous improvement I highly recommend trying to come.

If you have not and likely will not invest time to continuously improve i recommend not attending at this time. Although i have not heard or witnessed any cases of someones request to attend being denied on the basis of skill there may arise a point where players are not allowed to attend because of limited space. Please do not put Mcdick in that kind of situation. You should be the one to say when you are ready/not ready.

• Upvote (+1) 6

For anyone who wants to help contribute, please PM me and I'll send you McDicks paypal.

@ pm sent.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I doubt he'll pop up anytime soon but I can message him on facebook if need be. I feel like if he was really concerned he would have mentioned something, but all he was concerned about is if anyone knew you and thought if you would actually show up or pull a "cat" like Oh4 said. 

If that's Oh4 that responded in the message than he already vouched for you. 

Ok cool.  Yeah the only way I wouldn't go is if the Army pulls some crap and I have to go on some field training exercise or something and they deny my leave.  I would probably know about a month out if I couldn't go, and I would be sure to let him know.

It's definitely open for donations. In all honesty I might even push harder for this to be crowd funded rather than last year when I knew I couldn't attend and just put up the money regardless. I don't think I'll match the $500 like last year but I def see myself putting in at least another $100 but will have a better idea of what I can contribute after I come back from Denver, as well as look into the expenses required for a Shadowrun LAN next year.

When shall thou be entering my domain?

When shall thou be entering my domain?

Sorry I somehow forgot to reply to this. I'll be there this month, the 19th-25th. Specifically in the town of Arvada. You close by?

Sorry I somehow forgot to reply to this. I'll be there this month, the 19th-25th. Specifically in the town of Arvada. You close by?

Yes, i live about an hour away and most of the halo guys live in the denver area anyway. You going to be to busy with whatever to play?

• Upvote (+1) 1