Cursed Lemon

New Lemon video rant: "Halo - seesaws and spitpolish"

I am loathe to say what I am about to say, but I think the animation - or more specifically, the activation delay - adds skill to the game.

Given how powerful power ups are, I think it makes sense that players should be rendered defenseless for a very brief period to introduce some balance. It reduces the effect of lucky advantageous spawns and blind bum rushing for the OS. There's no instant pick-up with power weapons, and there's no instant weapon switch. I think the activation delay is a logical inclusion and certainly not just aesthetic irrelevance.

The skill comes from fighting for them, not introducing a pointless moment of helplessness. The chaos of spawns still applies whether or not the animation is there.

• Upvote (+1) 8

The skill comes from fighting for them, not introducing a pointless moment of helplessness. The chaos of spawns still applies whether or not the animation is there.

Then why haven't we been talking about the removal of pick-up delay for weapons, particularly power weapons? Why don't weapons swap instantly? Fighting for them is only one aspect. Adding the pick-up delay means that people can't just sprint/thrust bum rush and pick it up off a lucky spawn with the same degree of success.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the pick-up delay; I just don't think it's necessarily automatically a bad thing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Then why haven't we been talking about the removal of pick-up delay for weapons, particularly power weapons? Why don't weapons swap instantly? Fighting for them is only one aspect. Adding the pick-up delay means that people can't just sprint/thrust bum rush and pick it up off a lucky spawn with the same degree of success.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the pick-up delay; I just don't think it's necessarily automatically a bad thing.

Because the problem it purports to solve literally doesn't exist.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I am loathe to say what I am about to say, but I think the animation - or more specifically, the activation delay - adds skill to the game.

Given how powerful power ups are, I think it makes sense that players should be rendered defenseless for a very brief period to introduce some balance. It reduces the effect of lucky advantageous spawns and blind bum rushing for the OS. There's no instant pick-up with power weapons, and there's no instant weapon switch. I think the activation delay is a logical inclusion and certainly not just aesthetic irrelevance.

One man's bum rushing is another man's perfect timing and map awareness.

Have you ever played classic arena shooters like Quake or Unreal? Playing these games is what gave me an appreciation for touch power-ups. The ability to be engaged with the full depth of combat while also collecting power-ups is an incredible feeling that I took for granted at the time. Lining up sniper headshots while perfectly timing the Overshield is fun as hell. Having your shots interrupted by an animation...not as much fun.

Having power-ups as touch pick ups also served to further differentiate them from weapons. You approached them in a unique way because of the different collection method, and that variety is a really great for keeping things fresh. Going after a power-up should feel different from going after a weapon, homogenizing them is much less interesting.

And on the flipside, nothing feels more clutch than rocketing a guy inches before he grabbed the mega-health, turning the game on its head in an instant. In Halo 5, close calls like that usually lead to the power-up getting burned and the game returns to its vanilla state, not very fun to watch or play.

• Upvote (+1) 2

And on the flipside, nothing feels more clutch than rocketing a guy inches before he grabbed the mega-health, turning the game on its head in an instant. In Halo 5, close calls like that usually lead to the power-up getting burned and the game returns to its vanilla state, not very fun to watch or play.

This has always been my main problem with. Power-up are intended to be significant game-changers. They change the flow of the game every time they come up. The animation and resulting "burn" possibility just creates a possible outcome in which far less actually happens. Someone rushes it, they die. OK. The OS does basically nothing and we go back to exactly what we were doing for another 2 minutes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This has always been my main problem with. Power-up are intended to be significant game-changers. They change the flow of the game every time they come up. The animation and resulting "burn" possibility just creates a possible outcome in which far less actually happens. Someone rushes it, they die. OK. The OS does basically nothing and we go back to exactly what we were doing for another 2 minutes.

Exactly. Some people floated the idea of the power-up dropping if the player is killed during the animation, but I just imagine that turning into such cluster-fuck of selfie animations one after the other. Would probably be funny to watch, but it wouldn't be good for ensuring the power-up goes to the person who executed the most skilled play.

Making them touch is the most elegant solution, in addition to it being the best option for game flow, pace, variety, etc.

It still boggles my mind that they spent resources creating that animation, bug testing it, tweaking the burn window, etc. When they could have just gone with the easier-to-implement and better-for-gameplay classic option.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It still boggles my mind that they spent resources creating that animation, bug testing it, tweaking the burn window, etc. When they could have just gone with the easier-to-implement and better-for-gameplay classic option.

change for the sake of change