Cursed Lemon

New Lemon video rant: "Halo - seesaws and spitpolish"

This is a deliberate misinterpretation of what I posted. I said we should concentrate our efforts on major issues in the game, listed them, and even mentioned how I've supported Halo for several years. At no point do I espouse or advocate indifference toward the development and improvement of Halo.

Unless you can demonstrate otherwise, I'm going to assume I missed nothing because

i) You said my post was worthless - I made a fair argument as to why my post wasn't a useless, blanket statement

ii) You said I should list the bigger issues - I listed them, and gave examples

iii) You implied some obscure assertions about how my perspective was invalid because I have not "been here for the entire decline of Halo" as others have. I'm not sure what the relevancy of this implication is (and besides, I've been around since 2008. In other words, I have only experienced the decline of Halo).

iv) You said I used buzzwords - Like I said before, this is a thread about a Cursed Lemon video and you're complaining about someone being verbose.

Maybe the point you were trying to make [and I could be wrong because you're just complaining] is that my call for a leveled approach to criticism was misplaced because of the long experience some people here have with giving feedback. In which case I'd still disagree with you because there's nothing wrong with a reminder to people to chill out.

[Procrastination levels 100]

You and I are on two different pages.  

I also do not feel the need to "demonstrate" anything at the current time, so please feel free to assume you missed nothing. 

FROM MY POINT OF VIEW - based on what I initially wrote and what I meant by it, you have missed the overall point.  Again, this is a video game discussion board and not a thesis defense - so you can continue to elevate, or we can call it like it is - and wait for something of actual substance to talk about at this length.

Keep on fighting the good fight.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Bump because shit needs to change before more players drop the game or move on. 

Turned off after 15 seconds, I couldn't take it. Your points might be valid, whatever, but I'd rather just read then listen through 17 minutes of that. Just being honest.

Edit: I do respect the passion you have for Halo though, I will give you that.

The issue with balance is that the game should be balanced for the highest levels of play. Like street fighter and starcraft, naturally tiers will be created, and 343 has some starting points with their leveling system, but the fundamentals of the game at its core should be practically impossible to master.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Great video. It's always nice to watch something from you Cursed. As a guy that loves Halo but has "moved on", I'm not sure what the point is anymore. The most tragic line of your video was the last line, "Halo never gets better, only different."

You've been fighting the good fight for over a decade and I've watched and participated for a long time too. Some people in this community and 343i are just lost causes. Or maybe I'm just bitter person after the years of pointless setting discussions and getting screwed over by Bungie/343.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've always really liked lemons rant videos. Even the old ones with the text on screen back on mlg.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Turned off after 15 seconds, I couldn't take it. Your points might be valid, whatever, but I'd rather just read then listen through 17 minutes of that. Just being honest.

Edit: I do respect the passion you have for Halo though, I will give you that.

That kind of respect seems to be at a premium these days, so I always appreciate it. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I've always really liked lemons rant videos. Even the old ones with the text on screen back on mlg.

Ice skating across a football field on the moon is saying I'll never forget. (regarding h3's movement for those who haven't seen the older vids)

@@Cursed Lemon  How was the feedback when you posted this over on Waypoint?

I posted the thing about aiming over at Waypoint, not the video. 

The video would make people explode. Sexually. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I posted the thing about aiming over at Waypoint, not the video. 

The video would make people explode. Sexually.

Can confirm, had to clean the splooge off my keyboard

Ice skating across a football field on the moon is saying I'll never forget. (regarding h3's movement for those who haven't seen the older vids)

Boy, back when reach's movement wasn't even imaginable.

@@Cursed Lemon 

Watch this dude's rant on the new DOOM. I like the structure and overall passion he has for arena games and a lot of what he says can be translated right to modern day Halo. Minus the obvious spawning weapons but that is totally fine because true arena shooters are different from Halo. 

If you want to skip right to the rant go to 2:30.

Edit: 8:15 is scary applicable to Halo nowadays.  

• Upvote (+1) 3

The last sentiment is more or less true, and was part of the focus of my video - people don't care if a game is optimized to be competitive. If it doesn't have snowballing and they "just like playing it", then that's good enough for them, even if the game itself latently aspires to be a highly competitive experience...which almost every multiplayer shooter does. 

That kind of respect seems to be at a premium these days, so I always appreciate it. 

Glad you took what I said in a positive light, as it was intended. A lot of people take that type of criticism the wrong way. ++Respect

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Cursed Lemon 

Watch this dude's rant on the new DOOM. I like the structure and overall passion he has for arena games and a lot of what he says can be translated right to modern day Halo. Minus the obvious spawning weapons but that is totally fine because true arena shooters are different from Halo. 

I actually got excited for DOOM, I'll admit I really have no knowledge of DOOM other than one time when I was a little kid my uncle had DOOM on his laptop and I played it for 10 minutes and got scared and ran from the computer.

I saw all the recent trailers and saw the hype on the H5 discussion, I'll admit that it looked awesome and had Arena foundations, but after seeing that video you posted I'm disappointed. A part of me just wants a competitively viable game where everyone is butt-ass naked (like the reviewer said) and has to struggle and compete to come out on top. I don't know what it is about current times, as if people just feel uncomfortable not having loadouts and having to put in a little legwork to dominate. Its like everyone just wants to dominate off the fly with no grinding.

@@Cursed Lemon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k_LPEm0gtc

Ya, it does make me sad that they didn't go all the way with doom. I just want something that's fucking different. FPS genre is getting so stale.

I just want something that's fucking different. FPS genre is getting so stale.

I want something that's the same where it should be the same, and different in the places where it can healthily grow. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think that power-up animations are just an unnecessary change just for the sake of change. Besides the obvious downside of having power-up animations(power-up glitches), my issues with power-up animations are that players are forced to press a button to pick it up and they are forced into an animation that renders them defenseless. I dislike animations in FPS games because I don't like being dis-empowered as an individual player, I hate being forced to put my gun down, I like being able to run and gun at all times. This is also one of my main issues with sprint and the other spartan abilities in Halo 5.

I also dislike that players can burn an OS before even having the ability to use it. I disliked when players could burn the custom power-up in Halo 3 MLG as well. I like that when I play Halo 1 that I can be really aggressive right after picking up OS because I'm invincible for a few seconds, I like that I can do things such as grenade/rocket jump without having to take any damage. I want power-ups to be instantaneous and empower players right after they pick it up, I don't want players to have to press a button to pick up a power-up and then have to wait for an animation to be able to use it.

I am loathe to say what I am about to say, but I think the animation - or more specifically, the activation delay - adds skill to the game.

Given how powerful power ups are, I think it makes sense that players should be rendered defenseless for a very brief period to introduce some balance. It reduces the effect of lucky advantageous spawns and blind bum rushing for the OS. There's no instant pick-up with power weapons, and there's no instant weapon switch. I think the activation delay is a logical inclusion and certainly not just aesthetic irrelevance.