Cursed Lemon

New Lemon video rant: "Halo - seesaws and spitpolish"

The first post in that Waypoint thread is going to be like "cool" or something stupid that gets 30+ rep lol.

On r/Halo, someone would've definitely taken the time to read it. On Waypoint though, there's about a two paragraph attention span unfortunately.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The first post in that Waypoint thread is going to be like "cool" or something stupid that gets 30+ rep lol.

On r/Halo, someone would've definitely taken the time to read it. On Waypoint though, there's about a two paragraph attention span unfortunately.

False. There's a 2 line attention span followed by a one word response. Then bronze 3 kids saying "git gud" or "maybe ur just bad"

False. There's a 2 line attention span followed by a one word response. Then bronze 3 kids saying "git gud" or "maybe ur just bad"

Or "I think the aiming is just fine."

I'm pretty sure there's a guidebook on Waypoint that explains how to respond like a douche, but I just haven't found it yet.

• Upvote (+1) 1

For the love of god don't stop making these videos. These videos really give people a mental framework to help foster discussion and clear up vague annoying terms in the community like "balance" "viable" "depth" and "skill". From your last video I learned what a "working definition" is, I felt stupid as fuck for not knowing such a term and this term is something that the entire halo community should know. I enjoy Cursed Lemon and BDobbins vids, not in like a dick-sucky way, but because I actually feel as though I learn something and each video provides value which is something I think is cool unlike many other youtubers. It's damn very rare that I actually get a sense of a video providing true value in terms of ideas/mindsets.

As for the "pretentiousness" lets just think about it like this, should we set the bar so god damned low that the average layman can just glimpse at the title of a youtube video and come away with the entire message without rewatching a video and trying to mentally grapple with the ideas? I think not, heavy verbiage and confidence when speaking is paramount and it is ok for terms/concepts to completely fly over peoples head, as long as they rewatch the video and actively try to see the posters view point/ideas, then goal of the video is achieved. If I told you that I completely 100% understand what is being said the first time over I watch a video like this I would be lying to you, but the more I watch the more I understand and understanding is all that matters at the end of the day.

fZ4XUOr.png

r u guys wizards

no but I like to play on wizard while listening to the wizard.

Solid and articulate rant but with every sequel as evidence...you're just pissing in the wind. And you're obviously intelligent enough to already know this so I don't get why you keep at it.

Just go lan H1 or play whatever sequel you like with cool people and don't worry about trying to convince dumb people to stop being dumb.

Do you lurk here often or just decided to check out the site randomly? All the H1 guys that signed up here around MCC drop pretty much vanished. Don't really blame them. Also did you go to the beach lan last year?

I really enjoyed this and your first video. I agree with almost every point you make and greatly appreciate the construction of your script. You do a great job framing your argument criteria and the logic is easy to follow, even with complex discussion points.

That being said, I can't help but wish that it was presented in a style which would be more palatable for 343i in particular. It's quite entertaining and often humorous, but at the expense of any sort of civil charm necessary to get someone that matters to listen to you (not that you do/should care about that).

EDIT: After reading through a couple pages of comments, it seems I'm just reiterating what has already been said a dozen times. Glad I could contribute. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

As a community, this type of communication or "proper approach" you speak of has been going on for over a decade.  So when you see a video like Lemon's being made, or you see a rant here on the forums by someone - just stop and think before you throw out buzz words like, "demands, protest, feedback, bigger issues.." perhaps this person, has been here for the entire decline of Halo?

OR at least LIST the bigger issues, talk about them, provide examples.

blanket statements like these produce and add nothing. 

This post is incredibly ironic.

It seems like you'd like me to stop, think ... and not post any words at all. Or maybe more accurately, post what you would like to read. I have played Halo for many years, watched events, supported streamers. Though regardless of that, anyone who plays Halo and wants to see the game improve has an equal stake in the argument. Sorry to break it to you, but just because someone has been around since Halo 1 does not give them special privileges.

The bigger problems are obvious, like the spawn system, radar, low population - not a tiny custom pick-up-animation. I'm not opposed to someone arguing for its removal, but when we have a big problem like dreadful maps (Torque and Riptide), and someone says a pick-up animation is one of the "worst changes made by a Halo dev", I think they're the sort of comments that fill a space that could be otherwise filled by more measured feedback.

My post did add something. It's always important to keep issues in a debate in perspective. We could complain until the cows come home about every little detail about Halo, but where would that get us? It's your post that contributes nothing but aggravation and can effectively be reduced to: "shut up, we've been around since H1, we know more".

On a final point, you seem to be implying that my post was verbose. You're doing that in a thread about a Cursed Lemon video.

It seems like you'd like me to stop, think ... and not post any words at all. Or maybe more accurately, post what you would like to read. I have played Halo for many years, watched events, supported streamers. Though regardless of that, anyone who plays Halo and wants to see the game improve has an equal stake in the argument. Sorry to break it to you, but just because someone has been around since Halo 1 does not give them special privileges.

The bigger problems are obvious, like the spawn system, radar, low population - not a tiny custom pick-up-animation. I'm not opposed to someone arguing for its removal, but when we have a big problem like dreadful maps (Torque and Riptide), and someone says a pick-up animation is one of the "worst changes made by a Halo dev", I think they're the sort of comments that fill a space that could be otherwise filled by more measured feedback.

My post did add something. It's always important to keep issues in a debate in perspective. We could complain until the cows come home about every little detail about Halo, but where would that get us? It's your post that contributes nothing but aggravation and can effectively be reduced to: "shut up, we've been around since H1, we know more".

On a final point, you seem to be implying that my post was verbose. You're doing that in a thread about a Cursed Lemon video.

If you want to go that route then why should we be wasting our time critiquing video games when there are more important issues in life that we should be prioritizing and focusing on? Video games are just a first world problem after all.

I agree that we should try to prioritize and focus on getting the important issues of Halo 5 fixed but that doesn't mean that we as consumers aren't allowed to criticize the trivial aspects of the game as well. I honestly don't mind when people exaggerate certain issues of the game because it's really all subjective. What might seem like a trivial and insignificant change to you might be a significant deal breaker change to someone else.

For an example there are some people that think that Halo 5's aiming issues are trivial in the grand scheme of things because they aren't being affected by the changes that 343 did to the aiming mechanics after Halo 5's beta. But that doesn't negate the fact that Halo 5's aiming is still a big issue to the people that are being affected by the aiming changes. Think of it this way, if power-up animations didn't exist and players didn't have to press a button to pick up power-ups then we wouldn't have to deal with the annoying power-up glitch that prevents players from being able to pick it up.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Actually, it's "you and I." You can extend the phrase to "smarter than you and I are smart."

#REQt :prayers:

Of course you can extend the phrase and have it sound good; what's your point?

When you remove the other words in the middle: "He is ... smarter than me" CANNOT possibly be wrong, while "He is ... smarter than I" just sounds rather odd.

http://www.bt-tb.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/btb.php?lang=eng&cont=033

lol

Do you lurk here often or just decided to check out the site randomly? All the H1 guys that signed up here around MCC drop pretty much vanished. Don't really blame them. Also did you go to the beach lan last year?

I just check the site randomly to check for updates on Halo PC: The Xbox Experience, H1 in general, and just to see what the overall community is up to. I didn't go to Beach Lan last year because of school but will be attending this year and our crew's first spring lan is next week in Indy

Alright. But then what is the point of making these videos if you just want to preach to the choir?

I'd love to see you post this on r/halo minus the tone...you would actually convert a lot of people because you have great examples, word choice, and confidence. Seriously.

I feel like you don't spend enough time on r/Halo. The 343i's handling of Halo is fine circlejerk has been unstoppable since about two weeks post H5 release when the furor over the laughable campaign died down. Suggesting that the game has some glaring issues is usually taken quite poorly unless you luck out and there's a decent amount of like-minded people on.

---------------------

"Halo doesn't ever get better. It just gets different."

Damn, that's one of those lightbulb goes off statements.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I liked it :(

I thought it was funny and intelligent.

But at the same time. I imagine A Pro-Sprint, Auto Loving, 343 Apologist making the same kind of video......and all of the sudden its a lot less funny.

Oh well, keep doing you!

• Upvote (+1) 1

you missed much of what I said in a very short post.  However, thank you for the well constructed response.

If you want to go that route then why should we be wasting our time critiquing video games when there are more important issues in life that we should be prioritizing and focusing on? Video games are just a first world problem after all.

This is a deliberate misinterpretation of what I posted. I said we should concentrate our efforts on major issues in the game, listed them, and even mentioned how I've supported Halo for several years. At no point do I espouse or advocate indifference toward the development and improvement of Halo.

you missed much of what I said in a very short post.  However, thank you for the well constructed response.

Unless you can demonstrate otherwise, I'm going to assume I missed nothing because

i) You said my post was worthless - I made a fair argument as to why my post wasn't a useless, blanket statement

ii) You said I should list the bigger issues - I listed them, and gave examples

iii) You implied some obscure assertions about how my perspective was invalid because I have not "been here for the entire decline of Halo" as others have. I'm not sure what the relevancy of this implication is (and besides, I've been around since 2008. In other words, I have only experienced the decline of Halo).

iv) You said I used buzzwords - Like I said before, this is a thread about a Cursed Lemon video and you're complaining about someone being verbose.

Maybe the point you were trying to make [and I could be wrong because you're just complaining] is that my call for a leveled approach to criticism was misplaced because of the long experience some people here have with giving feedback. In which case I'd still disagree with you because there's nothing wrong with a reminder to people to chill out.

[Procrastination levels 100]

I liked it :(

I thought it was funny and intelligent.

But at the same time. I imagine A Pro-Sprint, Auto Loving, 343 Apologist making the same kind of video......and all of the sudden its a lot less funny.

Oh well, keep doing you!

A pro-sprint, auto-loving 343 apologist doesn't have years and years of precedent of getting the shaft to backboard off of. They have no right to be as sour as I am. >8[

This is a deliberate misinterpretation of what I posted. I said we should concentrate our efforts on major issues in the game, listed them, and even mentioned how I've supported Halo for several years. At no point do I espouse or advocate indifference toward the development and improvement of Halo.

I think you're misunderstanding the point of my post. The point of my post is that it is okay to exaggerate and focus on trivial issues of Halo 5 regardless if there are more important issues with the game that we probably should be focusing on because video games in the grand scheme of life are trivial.

I completely understand that you want us as a community to prioritize and focus on fixing the major issues of Halo 5 and for the most part I agree with you. What I don't agree on however is acting like there is a stick up our ass whenever we see someone exaggerate certain issues of Halo 5 even if they are trivial in the grand scheme of things.

I think you're misunderstanding the point of my post. The point of my post is that it is okay to exaggerate and focus on trivial issues of Halo 5 regardless if there are more important issues with the game that we probably should be focusing on because video games in the grand scheme of life are trivial.

I completely understand that you want us as a community to prioritize and focus on fixing the major issues of Halo 5 and for the most part I agree with you. What I don't agree on however is acting like there is a stick up our ass whenever we see someone exaggerate certain issues of Halo 5 even if they are trivial in the grand scheme of things.

Putting Halo in a relative perspective against famine, terrorism and Donald Trump is a slippery slope. Everything fails in importance next to a starving baby. But you are right - it is not my place or anyone's to say what people can and cannot complain about. I'd say It is pretty clear that some people do have a stick up their ass as you put it. Though it wasn't my intention, it probably seemed like I inferred most people were like this when it's actually a minority. Most people's asses are stick-free.

Maybe another issue here is that I don't necessarily agree that an OS pick-up is a bad thing (aside from the glitches).

Maybe another issue here is that I don't necessarily agree that an OS pick-up is a bad thing (aside from the glitches).

This is the problem with wanting our community to collectively focus on the major issues of Halo 5, not all of us will agree on what the major issues are. I personally don't think that power-up animations are a major issue compared to other issues such as power-ups being on dynamic timers instead of being on static timers but that doesn't mean that I don't have any quarrels with it being in the game.

I think that power-up animations are just an unnecessary change just for the sake of change. Besides the obvious downside of having power-up animations(power-up glitches), my issues with power-up animations are that players are forced to press a button to pick it up and they are forced into an animation that renders them defenseless. I dislike animations in FPS games because I don't like being dis-empowered as an individual player, I hate being forced to put my gun down, I like being able to run and gun at all times. This is also one of my main issues with sprint and the other spartan abilities in Halo 5.

I also dislike that players can burn an OS before even having the ability to use it. I disliked when players could burn the custom power-up in Halo 3 MLG as well. I like that when I play Halo 1 that I can be really aggressive right after picking up OS because I'm invincible for a few seconds, I like that I can do things such as grenade/rocket jump without having to take any damage. I want power-ups to be instantaneous and empower players right after they pick it up, I don't want players to have to press a button to pick up a power-up and then have to wait for an animation to be able to use it.