Cursed Lemon

New Lemon video rant: "Halo - seesaws and spitpolish"

You converted me when i first joined up here lol

It is possible... Just think about it

If you came here and stayed, you were already predisposed toward having a malleable viewpoint. We are the opposite of a hugbox. There's a reason most of us qualify as "people who mainly post on Beyond but occasionally venture to /r/Halo", and not the other way around.

The video isn't pretentious. It's verging on pedantic, but it needs to be because of how hung up this community gets over the words "unbalanced" and the ever-forbidden "broken" that occasionally someone might have the gall to use when describing some less than desirable mechanic.

This is exactly why I did it, because the arguments over these subjects are always so tedious and teeth-grindingly semantic - so too will it be when I expound upon it, that nobody can ever say I didn't cover the whole thing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

All these critiques about the speaker's tone and whether or not he's pretentious- nothing about the actual points made in the video.

• Upvote (+1) 4

All these critiques about the speaker's tone and whether or not he's pretentious- nothing about the actual points made in the video.

The problem is that's what turns people away. People like to be informed of something rather than told something. The contents great but anybody who isn't stubborn in their ways already will find it harder to appreciate. Those stuck in a web of circlejerking elsewhere in the community are already a lost cause, but for this sort of great writing on a big subject needs to be easily digestible to gain the traction it deserves.

i.e Fancy intro, the voice of adderal, smack that like button :kappa:

If you came here and stayed, you were already predisposed toward having a malleable viewpoint. We are the opposite of a hugbox. There's a reason most of us qualify as "people who mainly post on Beyond but occasionally venture to /r/Halo", and not the other way around. This is exactly why I did it, because the arguments over these subjects are always so tedious and teeth-grindingly semantic - so too will it be when I expound upon it, that nobody can ever say I didn't cover the whole thing.

Yeah i understand but lets not lump all of r/halo and waypoint together. I hate being generalised and I'm sure they do too.

Just give it a go for your next rant video. Obviously i don't want to censor you; not my point. My point is i'd love to see you be more...informative(?) rather than aggressive because your arguments will be more likely to hold water and be more accessible.

The problem is that's what turns people away. People like to be informed of something rather than told something. The contents great but anybody who isn't stubborn in their ways already will find it harder to appreciate. Those stuck in a web of circlejerking elsewhere in the community are already a lost cause, but for this sort of great writing on a big subject needs to be easily digestible to gain the traction it deserves.

i.e Fancy intro, the voice of adderal, smack that like button :kappa:

Yeah i understand but lets not lump all of r/halo and waypoint together. I hate being generalised and I'm sure they do too.

Just give it a go for your next rant video. Obviously i don't want to censor you; not my point. My point is i'd love to see you be more...informative(?) rather than aggressive because your arguments will be more likely to hold water and be more accessible.

Here's the problem though, and I said it in a reply to a comment on the video, if I straight out tell casually-bent Halo players "I don't like radar in Halo, because it's for THUMBLESS NOOB DOUCHERS", I didn't lose them at the "thumbless noob douchers" part...because they were already gone by the time I said "I don't like radar". It literally does not matter what comes after that comma.

That's how ideologically charged this whole thing is. It's not about reason anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Here's the problem though, and I said it in a reply to a comment on the video, if I straight out tell casually-bent Halo players "I don't like radar in Halo, because it's for THUMBLESS NOOB DOUCHERS", I didn't lose them at the "thumbless noob douchers" part...because they were already gone by the time I said "I don't like radar". It literally does not matter what comes after that comma.That's how ideologically charged this whole thing is. It's not about reason anymore.

But lets look at it like this: 343 changes the aiming. You go from 0% of people complaining to about 15%. Objectively bad.

You upload a video similar to this to r/halo. You go from getting 0% of them on your side to about 15%. Objectively good.

Best way to fix something is to start a movement to fix it. You start that sort of sentiment slowly. By gradually getting more people on your side of the argument, you can begin to actually have some sway in this community.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Here's the problem though, and I said it in a reply to a comment on the video, if I straight out tell casually-bent Halo players "I don't like radar in Halo, because it's for THUMBLESS NOOB DOUCHERS", I didn't lose them at the "thumbless noob douchers" part...because they were already gone by the time I said "I don't like radar". It literally does not matter what comes after that comma.

That's how ideologically charged this whole thing is. It's not about reason anymore.

Fucking bullshit.  Sorry but like Killmachine already said why upload videos then if you know only the people who already like you will like the video? 

Your tone is offsetting and reqading your posts lumping everyone from r/Halo or Waypoint in one pot and beyond members in the other pot, I never was on reddit or do I use waypoint but good god do I not want be associated by the tone of your videos just because I'm on Beyond, you have to think of a bigger frame of things. 

That even in the competive community there can be big differencies of views. I mean look at the pros even there are people who swear 4v4 Halo 5 completely without radar won't work.

I'm a HaloGAF regular and we were as a community banned, deleted and warned on NeoGAF a lot because we argued and shit on 343/Bungie members on there so don't think I'm a fanboy or anything, but at somepoint you have to realize the aggressive tone does nothing. 

And if you really think people are not even listening to your reasons anymore, that may be true for a small minority but a lot of players love to hear indepth thoughts, though it doesn't help if viewers feel insulted because they didn't agree with you from begin with. 

Response over. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It's almost like you can make videos because you want to. If you don't like how it's done there is this crazy thing you can do, it's called MAKE VIDEOS YOURSELF.

IMO it seems like these videos are more or less just an expression of frustration. You don't have to make videos to reach as many people as possible and coddle everybody, sometimes you are just pissed as fuck and want to rant.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's almost like you can make videos because you want to. If you don't like how it's done there is this crazy thing you can do, it's called MAKE VIDEOS YOURSELF.

IMO it seems like these videos are more or less just an expression of frustration. You don't have to make videos to reach as many people as possible and coddle everybody, sometimes you are just pissed as fuck and want to rant.

Lol no one is saying for him not to make videos his own way...

I'm saying if you want people on your aide you can literally make the same video with a different tone and people will listen

Couldn't the same be said in video games if that's your argument?  

"If you don't like how it's done there is this crazy thing you can do, it's called MAKE VIDEO GAMES YOURSELF."

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Because everyone here agrees with him.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Fucking bullshit.  Sorry but like Killmachine already said why upload videos then if you know only the people who already like you will like the video?

Because it's cathartic.

Your tone is offsetting and reqading your posts lumping everyone from r/Halo or Waypoint in one pot and beyond members in the other pot, I never was on reddit or do I use waypoint but good god do I not want be associated by the tone of your videos just because I'm on Beyond, you have to think of a bigger frame of things.

/r/Halo is a hub of casual players over competitive players - prove me wrong.

And I have a perfect sense of the scope of things. I'm just of the opinion that there's no redirecting the Halo train just by making videos.

That even in the competive community there can be big differencies of views. I mean look at the pros even there are people who swear 4v4 Halo 5 completely without radar won't work.

I'm aware of this. Doesn't change the fact that Beyond is primarily competitive-minded and will be far more resonant with the videos I make. 

I'm a HaloGAF regular and we were as a community banned, deleted and warned on NeoGAF a lot because we argued and shit on 343/Bungie members on there so don't think I'm a fanboy or anything, but at somepoint you have to realize the aggressive tone does nothing. 

And if you really think people are not even listening to your reasons anymore, that may be true for a small minority but a lot of players love to hear indepth thoughts, though it doesn't help if viewers feel insulted because they didn't agree with you from begin with. 

Response over.

Once again, if I was actively trying to evangelize for competitive Halo, don't you think I'd act a little more friendly? Maybe that's not what I'm trying to do. 

And to the bolded, as I told killmachine...nah. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'll tell you guys what. I'll do a little experiment on /r/Halo later on today, and we'll see what's what about tone and content. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'll tell you guys what. I'll do a little experiment on /r/Halo later on today, and we'll see what's what about tone and content.

WE WORE YOU DOWN IN THE END

Lol no one is saying for him not to make videos his own way...

I'm saying if you want people on your aide you can literally make the same video with a different tone and people will listen

I was directing it more at the other guy that literally said "why make videos then" lol.

I sometimes forget this forum is populated by 18 year olds who still think that excessive flourish and hyperbole are effective methods of communication. And since it has been brought up nonstop, referencing "chaos theory" in a video about Halo (ignoring the fact you probably have no idea what chaos theory actually is) is basically the definition of pretentious. If that doesn't convince you, then maybe the repeated, incredibly awkward demands to "listen closely" when we're already watching the fucking video will.

In addition to that, we have 17 minutes of cluttered arguing over semantics. Once you get to the content itself, you find the same tired, core complaints that have been made about Halo 5 since before the game even came out. Of course, none of this makes him wrong. In fact, he's mostly right. It's just that he's mostly right in the most superficial, douchiest and uninteresting way possible.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 6

Couldn't the same be said in video games if that's your argument?

"If you don't like how it's done there is this crazy thing you can do, it's called MAKE VIDEO GAMES YOURSELF."

I'll tell you what, make a YouTube video and then make a video game. Then tell me the 2 are comparable.
  • Upvote (+1) 7

And for the record, I do not assume that Beyond is a competitive hivemind of like ideas - which is why I expect these videos to generate conversation about the subject matter amongst ourselves. 

referencing "chaos theory" in a video about Halo (ignoring the fact you probably have no idea what chaos theory actually is) is basically the definition of pretentious.

cha•os theo•ry

n. Pronunciation: /ˈkāˌäs/ /ˈTHirē/

1. The theory that the chain of causality is infinitely perturbed by even the smallest action. 

2. A guy who is smarter than you and I. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

cha•os theo•ry

n. Pronunciation: /ˈkāˌäs/ /ˈTHirē/

1. The theory that the chain of causality is infinitely perturbed by even the smallest action. 

2. A guy who is smarter than you and I. 

pre·ten·tious
prəˈten(t)SHəs/
adjective

1. attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

Relativity is in the dictionary as well, and I'd love to see you try to describe that with any precision or rigor. And then use it in any useful way in the context of Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 12

pre·ten·tious
prəˈten(t)SHəs/
adjective

1. attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

Relativity is in the dictionary as well, and I'd love to see you try to describe that with any precision or rigor. And then use it in any useful way in the context of Halo.

I'm not going to engage in intellectual masturbation with you, sorry. 

I'll tell you what, make a YouTube video and then make a video game. Then tell me the 2 are comparable.

Just pointing out how flawed it is. Basically a cop out when people disagree with you