CyReN

NFL Thread

at least the Redskins have been an easy team to pick against in eliminator. I haven't missed one yet so far

Please don't use the R word

• Upvote (+1) 1

sigh the last time I bet on the giants. so inconsistent

At least you got the Cowboys game, good call

Fell asleep right when the game started lol what happened to this giants offense that i like so much

I've never seen a defensive player so over analyzed before.

sherman brings it on himself though, you never hear revis talking about himself of Talib telling Erin Andrews he's the best cornerback in the game... lol

well, good thing you're not a football player and/or coach.

But I do...

Just think you rarely see guys like Cousins make a big enough of a turn around to become a QB you can win with. He throws BAD interceptions on a lot of forced throws because he trusts his arm to try and fit it in tight spots. It works out really well sometimes, but it turns out poorly more often then not. I just don't think his play this season (8 ints in 5 games) and last season (7 ints in 5 games) would have anyone believing he's the franchise choice. At least we saw it from RG3. 

Sherman has put himself in an impossible position. If he runs his mouth like he usually does, he is criticized. If he ducks the media and keeps his mouth shut, he is criticized. Regardless, I love seeing Seattle lose.

@@bman watch eli come out slingin' in this second half though

Not counting on it.

But I do...

Just think you rarely see guys like Cousins make a big enough of a turn around to become a QB you can win with. He throws BAD interceptions on a lot of forced throws because he trusts his arm to try and fit it in tight spots. It works out really well sometimes, but it turns out poorly more often then not. I just don't think his play this season (8 ints in 5 games) and last season (7 ints in 5 games) would have anyone believing he's the franchise choice. At least we saw it from RG3. 

What's preposterous to me is that you seem to have an attitude that quarterbacks are fated to throw interceptions. That is, no amount of positive coaching influences can possibly rectify mistakes made on the field. The issue with that is that players at every position make mistakes that aren't as pronounced because the ball isn't involved or because the play still worked out in favor of that player's team. Quarterbacks are under greater scrutiny, despite the fact that a QB who throws a couple picks could have played a more complete game on a play-by-play basis than a cornerback who regularly got beat but didn't get the ball thrown his way. Players at any position can make these adjustments, so a quarterback can, too.

Cousins throws bad interceptions because he forces throws and occasionally fails to set his feet. He fumbles because he holds onto the ball for too long and doesn't secure the ball under pressure. These are all very coachable flaws. Note that Cousins didn't have much of a turnover problem in college, so it stands to reason that he's still adjusting to the speed, athleticism, and superior gameplans of his new opponents. I don't think Gruden's going to sit down with Cousins, watch his turnovers on film, and say, "Nah, you know, there's really no point in trying to fix this. You're gonna do what you're gonna do, and we'll live or die by that sword." That's just not going to happen. What it comes down to is the player's receptiveness to the coaching he receives, and how well he translates that instruction into muscle memory and on-field performance. To sit there and laugh at the idea of a coach helping a quarterback become less likely to commit turnovers puts your understanding of the game into question. Though I leveled the criticism that I do not believe RG3 will be able to get away from his running tendencies, I am not sitting here giggling at the idea of him making such an improvement. It's not outside the realm of possibility, just as it is not outside the realm of possibility for Cousins to turn the ball over more infrequently. The Redskins are pretty fortunate to have two talented young quarterbacks, either one of whom could be developed into a star player based on upside alone.  

Saying a young athlete in the top one percent of his peers is incapable of fixing his mistakes is pretty outrageous. If you're a coach with that attitude, you're not a good coach. If you're a player with that attitude, you're not a good player. 

edit: to be clear, no am i not sticking up for 8 picks in 5 games. moreso i am expressing a belief that a young player can develop enough to limit the number of turnovers he'll commit. Is he gonna put up Nick Foles' 2013 numbers? Probably not, but it's not unreasonable to believe he can cut that INT number down by 1/2 or 1/3.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Celek just handled JPP one on one. JPP is done.

You're rarely the same when your back goes under the knife.