CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

So finally back from the bar. I made it to the semi finals in a Beer pong tourny my first go so I'm quite proud of that. 

Both teams I was rooting for (Optic and Envy) made me smash a few glasses. But what a fantastic event, so thank you to the ESL staff who are here and everybody at 343/The HCS team for a fantastic event to kick off this season. It couldn't have been any better........exnay one thing. 

Please @@Vivi, @@Tashi, @@Timo @@Deez I have been saying this for a long time ever since the HCS started. We need crowd mics. Yes you can hear the crowd when big plays happen but it's not to the caliber that it should be. When I attended worlds and went back to watch VOD and the crowd just was not as loud as it actually was. The same happened here. It somewhat takes me out of the match in a bit of disappointment because I want to get up from my chair and cheer in my own house without looking like a fool cheering at a screen that seems like the live crowd dose not even care about themselves. lmao. It makes the stream better, it makes the viewing experience better, it over all helps in the long run especially for new comers to the scene.  

This is literally the only thing I want to criticize but it's probably top 2 things I expect from a Halo stream. The crowd has always made Halo events great to watch. 

Thank you all! 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Anyone that wants to get into casting, send a tape to my email ([email protected]). We may need more casters at some point. We're going to be doing the LAN tournaments on a 4-6 week basis, but also hopefully developing some other additional content for the community.

Why?

Why must you be in California? I would do this for free. I have always wanted to be in the booth.  :mj:

Why?

Why must you be in California? I would do this for free. I have always wanted to be in the booth. :mj:

Well won't always be ONLY in California.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well won't always be ONLY in California.

Well until that day comes, it looks like I need to work on my casting skills.  :sunglasses:

343 can't do many things, but they sure can run an event. ( Did Anyone see the Rainbow Six Siege Xbox one finals on Friday? Total shit show lol)

• Upvote (+1) 1

343 can't do many things, but they sure can run an event.

Ehhhhhh

343 can't do many things, but they sure can run an event. ( Did Anyone see the Rainbow Six Siege Xbox one finals on Friday? Total shit show lol)

They can still improve a lot of stuff but overall I was satisfied with this small LAN event.

• Upvote (+1) 2

They can still improve a lot of stuff but overall I was satisfied with this small LAN event.

Good job to whoever had the idea for this particular event.

So Contras stream says scrims vs cloud 9????!!!!!

Just for more context,

They were scrimming Aries, Hysteria, Randa, and TireIron.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just for more context,

They were scrimming Aries, Hysteria, Randa, and TireIron.

I thought hysteria was rayne? Plzlearn :kappa:

Also for anyone that missed a series or two yesterday I'll have the rebroadcast post set later on this morning on r/prohalovods

Anyone that wants to get into casting, send a tape to my email ([email protected]). We may need more casters at some point. We're going to be doing the LAN tournaments on a 4-6 week basis, but also hopefully developing some other additional content for the community.

@@W0uld

• Upvote (+1) 1

Maybe Renegades will scrim us now :)

On the real though, I couldn't hear the casters but the blame for our team at worlds was not on Hamy. He is a great player and deserves credit, just wasn't the play style fit for our team. I know we won XGames but that also wasn't the best CLG at the time and don't think the meta of the game had been evolved yet

I'm shocked that EG's "struggles" are still being blamed on @@Commonly after all this time, especially by the casters on the @Halo channel, kinda paints the wrong picture to the casuals who tuned in. I'm all for painting a narrative, but it has to be based on truth. It wouldn't have been so bad if their statements weren't blatantly false.

• Downvote (-1) 1

SnakeBite is the most humble pro. More humble than Roy, Roy seems to take the spotlight on this subject.

I don't see much of a point in arbitrarily taking a shot at another pro (who wasn't a part of my post) just to praise @@SnakeBite...

You don't have to knock someone down to prop someone else up.

We could really run through a list of pros Snakebite is more humble than, but would we actually want to do that?

n

a

h

• Downvote (-1) 2

Anyone oddshot that clip of Mikwen on coli catwalk going in circles with the snipe?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Feedback on casting is always great, really looking forward to Pro League now and getting stuck into it. As noted by a few members in past pages, hoping to work on stuff and make a real improvement to the things that need to be worked on now that I can finally cast Halo weekly rather than once every 4/5 months, on top of that it will be with a consistent partner to build up a duo-ship together.

I am really keen to grabbingfeedback from a personal pov and always have been, as @@Ninja said UK time is a bitch, I usually get the phone and watch on mobile from about 11-1am but always fall asleep in bed when the top NA stuff is kicking off. Next part for me is to stop calling every hit marker and every nade thrown, granted im play by play but it's been mentioned by a few people now, worked on my speed and delivery for worlds, will work on the actual content that i deliver going forward.

Thanks lads, feedback is key!

I think the most important thing is recognizing when each type of casting is called for. it's a bit more obvious in other sports/esports to know when play by play is needed and when there's downtime to be filled by the color commentator. Basketball/Football/CS for example. I'd suggest whenever you watch scrims next just ask yourself if you think the viewer would be getting more out of color or play by play at any given point in time. Ask yourself that a lot throughout the game you watch and try to look at what is making the difference. To me, play by play is needed when power weapons are in the hands of someone in position to use them, meaningful objective work is being done, power-ups are coming up, and flanks/big pushes. Maybe talking to the co caster about this before hand could help you both be on the same page and recognize when its time to hand control off to the other person. 

The hardest part about that is going to be the lack of a 'big picture' sense that you guys get when you're casting. What you really need is an overhead view of the map with the call-signs/icons of players moving around so you can see what's happening across the map rather than just on the POV you happen to be watching. Obviously 343 would need to decide that the need was great enough to warrant developing such a tool but maybe if things start really taking off it will be worth it. The other option would be giving you guys access to all 8 screens (2 screens, one team on each). It would be tougher but you'd at least be able to see what's going on across the map rather than just in one corner of it. 

Ideally you'd be in the booth looking at 4 screens. The top down view, team A's 4 screens, Team B's 4 screens, and what the stream sees.

Something like this:

aMYnp6D.jpg

I don't want anyone to feel like I'm saying the casting is being done poorly/casters should be doing more (I wouldn't go to work and choose not to bill the client). I think we need to make it as easy as possible for the casters to do a good job with the time they're able to commit to it. It's not like halo is ever going to have a super deep meta game like CS or LoL so I don't think anything other than cursory research is really required from a research standpoint (are teams 3 capping strongholds, which route do people take the flag on a given map, does X team prefer an aggressive  or more setup focused style, etc.). 

just my thoughts, i'm no caster. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

We are excited to announce our Halo Red Team for Soul eSports. Twitter.com/TeamSouleSports

IUZj0sO.jpg

Not gonna lie, at first glance I thought JuicyFruit was Mew2King and I was so fucking confused lol

• Upvote (+1) 3

I am not saying that the casters we currently have are not good, but they are definitely not the best we could have and for multiple reasons.

The only person who is an ACTUAL caster is Goldenboy who is a caster for multiple games, but even goldenboy does not follow scrims and know the meta of halo 5. Walshy was one of the best casters for the FIRST halo 5 tournament because he was playing it every single day and following scrims religiously, he knew the current meta and brought a necessary skillset to the halo commentary booth.

Almost every halo caster has another job that is NOT casting... IMO that is not ok. Andy does not watch scrims every night and study gameplay and breakdown what are the best strats, Strongside does not do that, goldenboy does not do that, simms MIGHT I feel he has the most presence in streams but he is EU so he is in bed and probably does not catch the scrims.

You look at the league casters and they at least SEEM like they almost know the game better then the pros. They can break down every single play perfectly and never stumble over their words and say (what I call) "Filler commentator phrases" like "this is what they do" or "they are unstoppable" without giving reason.

I can go so much more in depth but I just kind of want to see what you guys think as well, I believe @@Commonly is right about the casters.

@@W0uld for caster