CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Has anyone ever gotten a glitch where when the game started, you just did not have any sound (no bullets, no reloading, absolutely nothing) and your screen was super duper laggy? Almost as if you were playing in slow motion. I fixed it once I quit the build, but it was unplayable. 

Tomorrow is a big day for the players sure, but it's a much bigger day for the memers. Everybody better be on their game, we need strong  :dank:  performances across the board.

Anybody can be a gif-warrior during the week, but can you show up on LAN day?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Tsquared's casting has been extremely good so far in this esports arena tournament in my opinion.  Really impressed with him.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've never actually thought about this but...is there an unspoken rule as to when a player is considered a "veteran" in Halo?

I was thinking about this yesterday in regards to Snip3down, and how quickly he became a heavyweight in the scene. 

Tomorrow is a big day for the players sure, but it's a much bigger day for the memers. Everybody better be on their game, we need strong  :dank:  performances across the board.

Omg, I was excited about the lan but i completely forgot about lan memes...lets goo. it wont be the same without mediabrute tho

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ive been out of the loop, what is this tourny thats on right now?

Some people call it Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 4

eVqhF4s1fg92g.gif

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Commonly just glitched through the map on truth and they have to replay.  i have never seen that happen in this game before.

Commonly just glitched through the map on truth and they have to replay.  i have never seen that happen in this game before.

@@Infinity and @@aPK were talking about finding a game breaking bug on Twitter today. I wonder if this is the same? Could be a result of recent patch work?

*pre rant note: this is not OT, the lack of women in competitive Halo indeed actually does have to do with competitive Halo! Also, I've spent way too much time on this so there's no way I'm not posting it*

Alright fuckos I've read a lot of unsubstantiated bullshit today from both sides of this nature vs. nurture debate. Too much, in fact. Here's studies and facts, followed by me ranting a bit more. 

Is there sexism in gaming? Yes. Do I need to provide studies for this? Seems clear to me that there is, I think any of us can intuit this. Gaming - competitive gaming specifically - is male dominated and hostile towards women. 

Here's a study that has a lot of good info -- I'll note a few key sentences: "Women were four times more likely than men to have experienced taunting or harassment"; "35.8% of women reported having quit playing temporarily because of sexism"; "When asked if they had ever avoided playing on a public server to avoid being a target of sexism, 50.6% of female respondents and 10.3% of male respondents said that they had."; "When asked 'Have you ever been the subject of sex-based comments, taunting, harassment, or threats in the gaming community while not playing a video game?' 45.5% of women said that they had – almost 5 times the percentage of men who said the same." There's a lot of good info in this one, please do read. 

Here's another study that says women are targeted for online gaming harassment 3 times as much -- the game it uses? Halo 3! 

So obviously there's sexism. We all intuitively knew, now we have data to back it up. But siddysid, you say, just because there's sexism doesn't mean there aren't biological differences that are much more innate, and therefore more out of our control! Men just have better spacial awareness! 

This study shows that, in matrilineal societies where women are given more power, they do better in spacial awareness tests. It's almost as if results of these tests are a metric of confidence in oneself and one's gender rather than 'biological' differences.**

And when women (or anyone) are less confident in their ability to do a certain task, they inevitably end up doing worse. The threat of stereotypes can make women worse at gaming.

I'm not saying there aren't gendered differences biologically. Of course there are - physically for sure - but neurologically as well, which is why men are so much more likely to be autistic. The question is to what extent do those biological differences play a role in how successful people can be in a certain activity. When it comes to things like spacial awareness, the difference within genders is greater than the difference between them, as this study shows. That is to say, gender is not an accurate predictor of one's success in spacial ability if nurture is taken out of the equation; gender-roles, however, imposed by society, are more likely to influence these things compared to 'biology'. 

Even if we assume that biology DOES play a difference, we can't deny that sexism does also. And if reducing sexism or giving women a means to develop an interest in gaming without experiencing sexism (such as the Women's Pro League that started this whole conversation) results in more women, that's awesome. At the very least it means more talent at the top, talent which previously would not have been given breathing room to grow. That's not only good for women, that's good for Halo. 

(**-this study shows there is a relationship between culture and spacial awareness, not necessarily causation. That being said, if we can level the playing field by reducing sexism, we absolutely should.) 

TL;DR: Yes women face sexism, biological differences exist but don't really play a role, even if they do we should still strive to eliminate or reduce sexism because it's best for women and for Halo. 

(last thing to note - comparing physical differences between people from around the world to neurological differences in our brains is just bad science. Please stop.) 

also i think optic is gonna surprise ppl and get to the grand finals where they'll get eliminated by EG. Ace and Maniac are dope on LAN and Cloud is their coach. Also Naded is always at his best and most energetic on day one of any tournament, and given that this is a one day tournament...well.

I think a women is far more likely to say she is harassed than a guy. If someone says to me "u fukin suck ******" is that harassment? I wouldn't say I was harassed because of that, but a girl might say she is harassed when someone calls them a slut or so on. Not saying girls aren't harassed online, but I wouldn't take much from study that is self reported. Everyone is harassed online.

I'm all for women being at the top of gaming and I hope I'm proven wrong when it comes to physical differences in gaming. I'd love to see more people at the top.

@@Infinity and @@aPK were talking about finding a game breaking bug on Twitter today. I wonder if this is the same? Could be a result of recent patch work?

It was definitely game breaking.  He couldn't move cause he was glitched into the floor, but he also couldn't nade himself to kill himself and respawn cause his nades flew through the geometry.  He was effectively frozen in place so they ended the game.  I think it has to be from a recent patch.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

damn some lame ass guys in this thread. why are you arguing about this shit? why do you care that much? go talk to some girls, you'll realize theyre not that different. I just want to see some god damn memes

lol they're not attacking women man. they're just talking about a scientific debate. You kind of seem like you're the one who cares

Has anyone ever gotten a glitch where when the game started, you just did not have any sound (no bullets, no reloading, absolutely nothing) and your screen was super duper laggy? Almost as if you were playing in slow motion. I fixed it once I quit the build, but it was unplayable. 

I've had sound problems. Thought it was my mixamp, wasn't. Restarted xbox and it worked fine. It kept happening constantly one day.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I haven't noticed anyone ask the important question about tomorrow: Will Ace be wearing his sunglasses? 

I mean the dude barely made it through Global champs without them. Poor guy had to be put on a stand by 343 to accept his award. He worked so hard. 

24x068g.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thanks for being useless once again!

You're seriously still mad that I wouldn't give you feedback survey questions?  :salt:

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You're seriously still mad that I wouldn't give you feedback survey questions?  :salt:

oh yes that angers me greatly, lol seriously?

Hey guys just checking........... goodbye.

You going to be tomorrow at Pax ?  Would be nice to see someone trolling everyone for their top 4 performance  :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Omg, I was excited about the lan but i completely forgot about lan memes...lets goo. it wont be the same without mediabrute tho

very true, but its all the more reason for everyone else to pick up the slack in his honor *biblethump*

oh yes that angers me greatly, lol seriously?

That has to be the only reason why you're so triggered. Lighten up just trying to have fun with you man.  :sunglasses: