CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Many people will argue, but I think this weekend Optic will play like a top 4 team. Arguable I know... but I think they can naturally achieve such a dominant placing.

Well after taking a game off the world champs, sky's the limit.

T2 just said that he has been reaching out to Ogre2 to team up but he hasn't responded. Imagine T2, Ogre2, FIS, and a fourth. Serious veteran knowledge on that squad

T2 dropping some team intel in the esports arena stream. Said he's looking at teaming with some guys including Domey, Swish, FiS, and Lifestyle.

• Upvote (+1) 2

T2 dropping some team intel in the esports arena stream. Said he's looking at teaming with some guys including Domey, Swish, FiS, and Lifestyle.

Damn, good for swish I didnt think he would get up there but its happening apparently lol.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Can we please get back on topic?

I'm still trying to figure out what the fuck 48÷2(9+3) is

Order of operations, please excuse my dear aunt sally

9+3=12. 12X2=24. 48/24=2

• Downvote (-1) 3

*pre rant note: this is not OT, the lack of women in competitive Halo indeed actually does have to do with competitive Halo! Also, I've spent way too much time on this so there's no way I'm not posting it*

Alright fuckos I've read a lot of unsubstantiated bullshit today from both sides of this nature vs. nurture debate. Too much, in fact. Here's studies and facts, followed by me ranting a bit more. 

Is there sexism in gaming? Yes. Do I need to provide studies for this? Seems clear to me that there is, I think any of us can intuit this. Gaming - competitive gaming specifically - is male dominated and hostile towards women. 

Here's a study that has a lot of good info -- I'll note a few key sentences: "Women were four times more likely than men to have experienced taunting or harassment"; "35.8% of women reported having quit playing temporarily because of sexism"; "When asked if they had ever avoided playing on a public server to avoid being a target of sexism, 50.6% of female respondents and 10.3% of male respondents said that they had."; "When asked 'Have you ever been the subject of sex-based comments, taunting, harassment, or threats in the gaming community while not playing a video game?' 45.5% of women said that they had – almost 5 times the percentage of men who said the same." There's a lot of good info in this one, please do read. 

Here's another study that says women are targeted for online gaming harassment 3 times as much -- the game it uses? Halo 3! 

So obviously there's sexism. We all intuitively knew, now we have data to back it up. But siddysid, you say, just because there's sexism doesn't mean there aren't biological differences that are much more innate, and therefore more out of our control! Men just have better spacial awareness! 

This study shows that, in matrilineal societies where women are given more power, they do better in spacial awareness tests. It's almost as if results of these tests are a metric of confidence in oneself and one's gender rather than 'biological' differences.**

And when women (or anyone) are less confident in their ability to do a certain task, they inevitably end up doing worse. The threat of stereotypes can make women worse at gaming.

I'm not saying there aren't gendered differences biologically. Of course there are - physically for sure - but neurologically as well, which is why men are so much more likely to be autistic. The question is to what extent do those biological differences play a role in how successful people can be in a certain activity. When it comes to things like spacial awareness, the difference within genders is greater than the difference between them, as this study shows. That is to say, gender is not an accurate predictor of one's success in spacial ability if nurture is taken out of the equation; gender-roles, however, imposed by society, are more likely to influence these things compared to 'biology'. 

Even if we assume that biology DOES play a difference, we can't deny that sexism does also. And if reducing sexism or giving women a means to develop an interest in gaming without experiencing sexism (such as the Women's Pro League that started this whole conversation) results in more women, that's awesome. At the very least it means more talent at the top, talent which previously would not have been given breathing room to grow. That's not only good for women, that's good for Halo. 

(**-this study shows there is a relationship between culture and spacial awareness, not necessarily causation. That being said, if we can level the playing field by reducing sexism, we absolutely should.) 

TL;DR: Yes women face sexism, biological differences exist but don't really play a role, even if they do we should still strive to eliminate or reduce sexism because it's best for women and for Halo. 

(last thing to note - comparing physical differences between people from around the world to neurological differences in our brains is just bad science. Please stop.) 

also i think optic is gonna surprise ppl and get to the grand finals where they'll get eliminated by EG. Ace and Maniac are dope on LAN and Cloud is their coach. Also Naded is always at his best and most energetic on day one of any tournament, and given that this is a one day tournament...well.

This wiki article pretty much covers the things you mentioned but still shows that biology is way more relevant than you're making it out to be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_differences_in_intelligence#Spatial_ability

Relevant quote from the article:

" Performance in mental rotation and similar spatial tasks is affected by gender expectations.[24][107] For example, studies show that being told before the test that men typically perform better, or that the task is linked with jobs like aviation engineering typically associated with men versus jobs like fashion design typically associated with women, will negatively affect female performance on spatial rotation and positively influence it when subjects are told the opposite.[108][109][110][111] Experiences such as playing video games also increase a person's mental rotation ability.[102][112] A study from the University of Toronto showed that differences in ability get reduced after playing video games requiring complex mental rotation. The experiment showed that playing such games creates larger gains in spatial cognition in females than males. However, male participants still performed superior to female participants both before and after training[113] "

• Upvote (+1) 3

T2 just said that he has been reaching out to Ogre2 to team up but he hasn't responded. Imagine T2, Ogre2, FIS, and a fourth. Serious veteran knowledge on that squad

This is Halo 5. I am sorry if this may sound harsh, but it is the truth. I don't think veteran knowledge matters as much as you think it does in this game.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

that team would definitely be a threat to CLG

:poop:

I think T2 might be the best caster I've heard call a Halo 5 game. He does a better job of explaining what the teams are doing and what's happening in the game than anyone I've heard recently and he does so really calmly and concisely. It seems like other casters kind of focus on what the individual player is doing and not what's happening in the game in general.

T2 easily 4th worst caster at the least.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I haven't noticed anyone ask the important question about tomorrow: Will Ace be wearing his sunglasses? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've never actually thought about this but...is there an unspoken rule as to when a player is considered a "veteran" in Halo?

damn some lame ass guys in this thread. why are you arguing about this shit? why do you care that much? go talk to some girls, you'll realize theyre not that different. I just want to see some god damn memes

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 8

Is anybody getting this glitch in h5 lately where you screen will freeze mid game for a second or two while the game continues around you?  This has been happening with increasing frequency to me lately and didn't start until recently.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Veteran knowledge that'd land them right into the top 24

• Upvote (+1) 7

Is anybody getting this glitch in h5 lately where you screen will freeze mid game for a second or two while the game continues around you?  This has been happening with increasing frequency to me lately and didn't start until recently.

Happened to me 10 mins ago, was so confused.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1