CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Math is never ambiguous and there are never 2 valid answers to any math problem.

does 0 actually exist?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ew, math.

On Sunday morning I'll do a worlds rebroadcast so people have a place to discuss/hype the pax LAN.

• Upvote (+1) 5

No.  The only possible way to interpret this is

(48/2)*(9+3).

This is order of operations.  If you want empirical evidence, plug "48/2*(9+3)" into any programming language.

Math is never ambiguous and there are never 2 valid answers to any math problem.

Did you really create an alternate account just to post this? O_o

See spoiler for explanation of "Implied Parentheses" and "Multiplication by Juxtaposition."

1cd68e65f8a98349a194b6df79f6a77f.png

87758d6053e81eab696e0a757855e172.png

• Upvote (+1) 1

Maybe it's because I spend a lot of time doing complicated math problems, but I don't think the grouping is ambiguous to allow for implied parentheses. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

48÷2(9+3)=?

Last post on this then back to halo

48÷2×12

24×12

Parenthesis is closed after you add 9+3

×,÷,+,- is not any particular order as long as × or ÷ comes before + or -

Back to halo EG, E6, NV,OG is my list in order for PAX. I'm ready to see some halo!

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

We went from talking about competitive Halo to what math is because some people can't count to 3

I fucking love this website

• Upvote (+1) 8

Did you really create an alternate account just to post this? O_o

See spoiler for explanation of "Implied Parentheses" and "Multiplication by Juxtaposition."

1cd68e65f8a98349a194b6df79f6a77f.png

87758d6053e81eab696e0a757855e172.png

Oh, I didn't understand your post.  So it's just a typesetting issue; not a math issue.  Yeah, physicists do their own thing.

I have Feynman's Lectures and you're right:

qyOclfv.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 3

We went from talking about competitive Halo to what math is because some people can't count to 3

I fucking love this website

we need a math thread so we can stay on topic =]

Dude made an account just to wreck Audley. 

Dude made an account just to be wrong though

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 6

Dude made an account just to be wrong though

I wasn't wrong.  In all cases nowadays, the equation would be parsed as (48/2)*(9+3).  The other convention was around back in the day in physics journals because they didn't have LaTeX so typesetting was more difficult.

If you ever program, or take a math class, or a physics class, or anything, you should parse it as (48/2)*(9+3).  I don't want anyone to be confused by this.  If you are reading physics journals and textbooks from the 1970s and earlier, than maybe you should consider the other way to parse it.  The context should make it clear regardless.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I wasn't wrong.  In all cases nowadays, the equation would be parsed as (48/2)*(9+3).  The other convention was around back in the day in physics journals because they didn't have LaTeX so typesetting was more difficult.

If you ever program, or take a math class, or a physics class, or anything, you should parse it as (48/2)*(9+3).  I don't want anyone to be confused by this.  If you are reading physics journals and textbooks from the 1970s and earlier, than maybe you should consider the other way to parse it.  The context should make it clear regardless.

Yes, you should parse it like that, but you should, imo, also WRITE it like that. The problem with something like 48÷2(9+3) is that it reads like 48/2(9+3) which LOOKS like it would be 48/(2*(9+3)). But, yes, using the accepted standards, the only answer is 288.

However, there are plenty of mathematical expressions without unique, unambiguous solutions. Many trigonometric expressions don't have a unique solution. E.g. arccos(0) = pi/2, 3*pi/2, etc. 

I'm sorry to have contributed to this topic.

Any math experts want to count how many years we enjoyed without having to play with radar and ar starts?

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Any math experts want to count how many years we enjoyed without having to play with radar and ar starts?

Divide it by zero

• Upvote (+1) 1