CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

@@ssbChad - do you happen to be tracking kills from autos during scrims?  I'm curious if the pros really get as many kills/damage with them as people think.

I would defend automatics (their existence, not their balance) in competitive Halo as well if I were in his position.  Automatics, for better or worse, are part of Halo.  When you remove them from the game, you are bending the rules to your vision.

Instead of thinking of automatics as "easy mode kills" and "less skilled weapons" think of them as slower kill time shotguns with extra counterplay on the side of the player being attacked.  Because most of the time, if you're out of close range, the automatic loses the battle to the pistol user anyway.  Likewise, they are also weapons that reward superior positioning, rather than superior gunskill.

I think it's absurd to reward only players with good gunskill and completely shun players with fantastic route taking who have weaker gunskill.  Because the ability to fire a gun straight is not the only skill existent in Halo.  Allowing weapons like automatics and boltshots and Hydras and Plasma Casters to exist in the sandbox allows players to find a more intelligent approach to the game and still win without necessarily having to have the best ability to move their thumbs.

I get where you are coming from but I disagree.  I usually rank low onyx and think my gunskill is probably subpar for that ranking.  However, mainly because I watch too many pros play :lxthul: , I think my positioning is above average for that rank.  Being in those better positions rewards me in getting some kills I probably wouldn't get otherwise but at the same time I don't need an auto to get those kills.  

I just think autos promote camping.  People wouldn't camp as much if they just had a pistol because you cannot quickly get a kill and get away like you can with an auto.  I think it's fine to have a few autos on the map but the respawn timers need to be inflated greatly so there aren't half the players on the map with storm rifles like there is on regret and empire.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Automatics, for better or worse, are part of Halo. When you remove them from the game, you are bending the rules to your vision.

Instead of thinking of automatics as "easy mode kills" and "less skilled weapons" think of them as slower kill time shotguns with extra counterplay on the side of the player being attacked. Because most of the time, if you're out of close range, the automatic loses the battle to the pistol user anyway. Likewise, they are also weapons that reward superior positioning, rather than superior gunskill.

I think it's absurd to reward only players with good gunskill and completely shun players with fantastic route taking who have weaker gunskill. Because the ability to fire a gun straight is not the only skill existent in Halo. Allowing weapons like automatics and boltshots and Hydras and Plasma Casters to exist in the sandbox allows players to find a more intelligent approach to the game and still win without necessarily having to have the best ability to move their thumbs.

If you want the game to be only about a player's ability to put a pistol reticule over a player's head and shoot 5 times better than the other player's ability to do the same, you are dumbing down an otherwise diverse game and reducing the potential diversity and player pool just to fit your own definition of skill.

You're shunning players like me who can't aim but still find ways to win games. I've generally gravitated away from the competitive playlists in the past because default Halo is more enjoyable. And if you're talking about competitive Halo, why are you not playing competitive Halo, but rather a stripped down version of the game that rewards your own idea of the game? David Sirlin has a term for those kind of people. It's scrub.

1. We are inevitably engaging in a selective process when we make a competitive playlist. We choose to not have team snipers, team rockets, team fiesta, etc, and we also choose not to include certain maps. These things are all "part of Halo" but we choose to exclude them based on the idea that not everything in halo is well-suited for competitive play.

2. Your idea that autos reward positioning while pistols only reward brute accuracy is fallacious. If I'm sitting behind good cover and I catch a player in the open who has a better shot than me i can very often win the engagement. Why? Because I'm using intelligent positioning. Implying that whipping out an AR in close quarters is in some way more rewarding to good map movement and positioning than using a pistol is ridiculous. In reality, you're reducing the skill gap in positioning because someone's ridiculously good strafe or evasive map movement that might otherwise throw off another player's superior accuracy is negated by AR spraying.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 2

when you're trying to vlog with your homie, but start daydreaming about that nap you're gonna take

1E3izZB.gif

tumblr_mtvalxb3a41rcoly3o1_500.gif

The Vision Season 2: Episode 2 "Weekend at Ace's"

• Upvote (+1) 3

is anyone scrimming tonight?

Has E6 scrimmed CLG since they formed? Would be interested to see how well that team plays against the best

yeah we have. And we playing again tonight

Nadeshot founded a new eSports org. Wonder if he will pick up a Halo team.

What is that name? Is that some inside joke or just a shitty name for the org?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Nadeshot just cut Optics fanbase in half.

I'll decide with Org I like more when I can compare each's Youtube videos of them cleaning their rooms...  Whichever is more entertaining gets my vote.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I like Nadeshot but that is legit one of the worst team names I've seen in eSports recently.

Looks like a blink-182 album

when you're trying to vlog with your homie, but start daydreaming about that nap you're gonna take

1E3izZB.gif

The Vision Season 2: Episode 2 "Weekend at Ace's"

Hello darkness, my old friend....

I've come to talk with you again.....

Because a vision softly creeping....

Left its seeds while I was sleeping....

And the vision that was planted in my brain

Still remains..

...Within the sound .... of silence......  ☆ ¸. ¸ ☆ :. . • ○ ° ☆ . ☆ ¸. ¸ ☆ :. . • ○ ° ☆ . zzzz

• Upvote (+1) 4

Nadeshot just cut Optics fanbase in half.

Unless this team can compete for a top spot or has popular players on it, I doubt it. This will be a fun underdog team to root for. For now.

I actually like that name more that some current eSports names we have.

My only issue is the '100' part, because there is going to be a disconnect. He pronounced it 'Hundred Thieves', most people will say 'OneHundred'. Could have come up with something better and still kept thieves imo