CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Hey all, I'm back, what did I miss?

Oh nothing much. Just our usual "forums setting up pro scrims" posts of the day.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh nothing much. Just our usual "forums setting up pro scrims" posts of the day.

Best part of the day. 

Hey, I know the announcement was well after tickets were sold out, but anyone here heading to PAX this weekend?

If they're in matchmaking on personal tags they're not working... Most of the work the pro team does is internal. Play testing gametypes and maps before they're released to the public. Their contribution to the game at the moment is represented by the release of new maps and gametypes.

That's what I figured but if so why do we only hear from Quin? Shouldn't these guys be interacting about the crap maps and refreshes if they had a hand in it?

Scrims for tonight:

EG vs NV

RNG vs Liquid

CLG vs E6

Optic vs Denial

If any one of these teams is not on tonight their matchup should scrim Elevate.

Let's make it happen folks.

I'm on board with this.  

That's what I figured but if so why do we only hear from Quin? Shouldn't these guys be interacting about the crap maps and refreshes if they had a hand in it?

I'm sure they have input, but they certainly don't have a final say in what ultimately ships out. At this time, we can only guess at the dynamics between the pro team and the rest of the MP team at 343.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm sure they have input, but they certainly don't have a final say in what ultimately ships out. At this time, we can only guess at the dynamics between the pro team and the rest of the MP team at 343.

Yeah because let's say they don't agree with 343 they cannot really say that because that's their boss and this tells us they don't have much say in what happens. If they do agree with 343 then they're really out of touch with fellow pros, and don't seem to keen on tweeting out their reasoning to other pros. I feel like either way, people would be more open to discuss these things with people like dersky, strongside, neighbor etc then quin and yet this is not happening.

Quinn is the face of everything that happens with multiplayer, that's his job. You need to remember pro team is not composed of game designers. They give feedback on what is given to them.

I'm on board with this.  

Good to hear. I think if my post gains traction I'm going to start putting out these post daily. There are quite a few matchups that seem to cycle through being relevant. I.E. after EG plays RNG again (Tomorrow?) I think RNG vs NV or CLG becomes more interesting.

Their contribution to the game at the moment is represented by the release of new maps and gametypes.

What a... great... contribution...
  • Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Best part of the day.

Hey, I know the announcement was well after tickets were sold out, but anyone here heading to PAX this weekend?

Why is this was such a short notice announcement? It was the same thing with HWC. Why are other esports able to schedule and provide details of events well in advance but for Halo we get vague answers or worse, silence? It is unbelievably frustrating.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Quinn is the face of everything that happens with multiplayer, that's his job. You need to remember pro team is not composed of game designers. They give feedback on what is given to them.

Yes but somewhere there is a disconnect. The pro team is given crap maps and refreshes and their feedback is either not listened to, or the pro team is out of touch with the competitive community. As it stands we will never know because we only hear from Quin. 

What a... great... contribution...

The problem I've always seen with pro team is that these players are the textbook definition of washed. They no longer play the game at the competitive level we expect from top HCS teams, yet they are trying to develop an incredibly competitive game around their thoughts and ideas. Some of them have worked out (Extremely balanced sandbox, excellent gameplay), while some of them have been questionable.

Yeah because let's say they don't agree with 343 they cannot really say that because that's their boss and this tells us they don't have much say in what happens. If they do agree with 343 then they're really out of touch with fellow pros, and don't seem to keen on tweeting out their reasoning to other pros. I feel like either way, people would be more open to discuss these things with people like dersky, strongside, neighbor etc then quin and yet this is not happening.

343's communication with the community has been pretty bad. It's like they just don't want to discuss the intricacies of the game with anybody. Look at these past updates that just happened; binaries on Coliseum? SAW and speed boost + 1 hit spartan charges on Fathom? Why? And furthermore, why was no one consulted? And even worse, why is there no reasoning for these changes?

For all the praise 343 has been getting for "listening" and giving the community what they want (in the form of free "DLC" and Warzone weapons, I suppose), the way they handle this game is the eighth wonder of the world. How long have we known about map exploits used to get out of Coliseum? Like, day one? Why is it still there? Why did the game launch with no party restrictions? I suppose now you could make an argument about population, but on launch? Why has the Arena weapon sandbox not been touched in nearly 6 months, while Warzone has received plenty of tweaks, and new weapons altogether?

How long has the entire gaming community, not even Halo exclusively, complained about poor "realistic" lighting that takes away from an actual gaming experience? And then they give us Torque?

I just don't even know where to start anymore. Throw us a fucking bone here...

• Upvote (+1) 8

Yes but somewhere there is a disconnect. The pro team is given crap maps and refreshes and their feedback is either not listened to, or the pro team is out of touch with the competitive community. As it stands we will never know because we only hear from Quin. 

I agree with you but this relationship is whats to be expected. Quinn is an exec at a AAA studio. I wouldn't expect to have direct communication with a base level engineer at a fortune 500 company.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Has E6 scrimmed CLG since they formed? Would be interested to see how well that team plays against the best

using "transitive properties" logic, that scrim would be incredibly one-sided

• Upvote (+1) 2

The problem I've always seen with pro team is that these players are the textbook definition of washed. They no longer play the game at the competitive level we expect from top HCS teams, yet they are trying to develop an incredibly competitive game around their thoughts and ideas. Some of them have worked out (Extremely balanced sandbox, excellent gameplay), while some of them have been questionable.

343's communication with the community has been pretty bad. It's like they just don't want to discuss the intricacies of the game with anybody. Look at these past updates that just happened; binaries on Coliseum? SAW and speed boost + 1 hit spartan charges on Fathom? Why? And furthermore, why was no one consulted? And even worse, why is there no reasoning for these changes?

For all the praise 343 has been getting for "listening" and giving the community what they want (in the form of free "DLC" and Warzone weapons, I suppose), the way they handle this game is the eighth wonder of the world.

I feel very similar, I had little hope for H5 but after the first night I thought damn they really are listening to the competitive crowd - the balanced sandbox and maps. The pro team must be doing something right, right? Now I just don't know, like I said there is either a disconnect between the pro team and the multiplayer team or something is up with the philosophy because SAW and speedboost spartan charges are totally a H4 mindset which at launch this game seemed to be far removed from. It is not like the multiplayer team doesn't care or is not working either because they're making the refreshes in the first place.

Wait...  someone tell me.  

Is there not going to be a new ALG team?

"I am Allegiance!" - eL Town 

Hey all, I'm back, what did I miss?

hi vivi. memes. lots of dank memes

Wait... someone tell me.

Supposedly according to Connor on Twitter he hopes to have some Intel soon about a new ALG team

using "transitive properties" logic, that scrim would be incredibly one-sided

Ok you found me out I want to watch Cratos get destroyed again, was trying to be nice about it

For all the praise 343 has been getting for "listening" and giving the community what they want (in the form of free "DLC" and Warzone weapons, I suppose), the way they handle this game is the eighth wonder of the world. How long have we known about map exploits used to get out of Coliseum? Like, day one? Why is it still there? Why did the game launch with no party restrictions? I suppose now you could make an argument about population, but on launch? Why has the Arena weapon sandbox not been touched in nearly 6 months, while Warzone has received plenty of tweaks, and new weapons altogether?

How long has the entire gaming community, not even Halo exclusively, complained about poor "realistic" lighting that takes away from an actual gaming experience? And then they give us Torque?

I just don't even know where to start anymore. Throw us a fucking bone here...

By past standards 343's communication for the *most* part has been way ahead of past games. That's just a fact. HOWEVER, the multiplayer team for whatever reason seems to try to keep much of their work shrouded in secrecy. I'm not sure why but for some reason they're neglecting to have a dialog about changes they're making, even with pros. I don't understand it and I whole heartedly disagree with it. I believe that Naded's rant had some valid points.

Perhaps this is unreasonable, but I feel like the best approach to fixing the maps at this juncture AND rebuild a relationship with a community is for Quinn and 343 pro team to get on with HCS teams ON STREAM and have a legitimate dialog about how the game needs to be changed for Pro League. A few recurring themes I expect to hear would be an outcry for an HCS Playlist, minor basic weapon placement and spawn changes, and a legitimate dialog about radar in competitive play.

Radar is a topic that really concerns me about how 343 is talking to the community. They stated outright that they would test no radar in competitive play, but that clearly never happened, especially not with real pros. The compromise they should be trying to make is a limited radar, but they have yet to demonstrate that this has been tested. More importantly from a technical standpoint a limited radar already exist, simply using the advanced sensors and weapon silencing mods from warzone to develop a radar that only shows players that are sprinting, shooting, thrusting, or otherwise engaging in combat. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Wait...  someone tell me. 

Its in the works right now. Really all the :intel:  I can share on that right now.

Allegiance is talking with players but currently, as far as I'm aware, dont have any contracts signed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why is this was such a short notice announcement? It was the same thing with HWC. Why are other esports able to schedule and provide details of events well in advance but for Halo we get vague answers or worse, silence? It is unbelievably frustrating.

This time around they actually have a reasonable excuse. The original plan was to have the top 2 teams form the championship (CLG and Allegiance) given spots in the Pro-league. This worked out for CLG since they stuck together, however ALG just split in 4 different directions. So they threw together a 4 team tournament so that each ex ALG player could bring their new squad and duke it out for that 2nd spot in the pro league. They had to put it all together AFTER finding out that the 4 players had split up. Which I actually do need to give somebody props for. I have no idea who pulled it off but it's pretty uncharacteristically on point. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Best part of the day.

Halo event announcements need to start being made well in advance.

You more than likely have 0 control over this, but I cannot recall a time that a Halo event announcement was made with enough time for people to actually book trips and show up.

• Upvote (+1) 5