CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I only looked at the first few events (which had lower numbers), but even then the entire season averaged 62 teams per event overall with a couple of outliers that had way more than the rest.

Anyways just wanted to correct the notion that there was more competition in 2005-2006 than there was in 2007-2010. That isn't a slight on the early gods of Halo. Pretty obvious that halo would grow more and with that more competition would spring. I was watching Gandhi's history of Halo videos recently and he kept mentioning how lots of people thought Halo 3 was random because no teams were able to dominate consistently like you could in H1/H2. You could argue that the level of competition was higher so teams weren't able to just run train. At the same time the inconsistent placings can be attributed to the lack of a single player being able to dominate in H3 or Reach, much more of a team game than H2.

H1/2 had a much higher individual skill gap than H3(just try getting a level 50 in H2). And back in 2004/5/6 there may not of been as many teams as in the H3 era. But that was due to MLG not being as big, and not hosting that many teams. The H1/2 era had the highest top individual skill level amongst pros of all the other Halos. INDIVIDUAL... Teamwork on the other hand no. Only Final Boss and Carbon, then later Str8 Rippin had significant teamwork. The rest of the teams crazily depended on individual skill. The H3/R era had better teamwork due to natural progression, and the fact that it had to be a team effort from 2009 on. But H1/2 had monsters that ate everything in sight! Hungry Ogres you could say ;)

(just try getting a level 50 in H2).

I'd say that was more to do with the fact that unless you had a bridger in your party above 30-high, you were likely to get standbyed or modded on if you searched.

Though, I stuck more to ranked BTB than I did the smaller playlists, so I dunno how much that was reflected.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Way too early predictions for teams based on rumors and what I would like to see:

CLG: Royal 2 Snakebite Lethul Frosty

EG: Roy Suspector Snipedown Lunchbox

ALG: Unlegit Spartan Stellur El Town

Denial: Huke Contra PreDevonator Bubu Dubu

RNG: Commonly Ninja Ogre 2 Victory X

Liquid: Hysteria Apg Ace Heinz

NV: Penguin Pistola Mikwen Rayne

Optic: Naded Assault Flamesword Maniac

The latter three teams I would like to see form but realistically that probably won't happen. It will likely be a mix and match of those 12 players with possibly Cloud as another. I could see Liquid and NV swapping Hysteria and Heinz for Penguin and Rayne. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think it's a shame that eLevate is breaking up.  

Most of these new teams don't sound, to me at least, like they could beat them if they just continued to practice.

• Upvote (+1) 4

H1/2 had a much higher individual skill gap than H3(just try getting a level 50 in H2). And back in 2004/5/6 there may not of been as many teams as in the H3 era. But that was due to MLG not being as big, and not hosting that many teams. The H1/2 era had the highest top individual skill level amongst pros of all the other Halos. INDIVIDUAL... Teamwork on the other hand no. Only Final Boss and Carbon, then later Str8 Rippin had significant teamwork. The rest of the teams crazily depended on individual skill. The H3/R era had better teamwork due to natural progression, and the fact that it had to be a team effort from 2009 on. But H1/2 had monsters that ate everything in sight! Hungry Ogres you could say ;)

I was always better at H2 then H3. Halo 2 was probably my best Halo. Maybe its just cause I spent a stupid amount of time learning the button combos, but I always found Halo 3 much harder at the top level. Atleast for me anyway.

Way to early predictions for teams based on rumors and what I would like to see:

Optic: Naded Assault Flamesword Victory X

The latter three teams I would like to see form but realistically that probably won't happen. Though it will likely be a mix and match of those 12 players with maybe Cloud as another. I could also see Liquid and NV swapping Hysteria and Heinz for Penguin and Rayne. 

Maniac is not getting dropped off of OpTic, he actually played REALLY well at regionals, aka LANiac  :ghost:

I'd say that was more to do with the fact that unless you had a bridger in your party above 30-high, you were likely to get standbyed or modded on if you searched.

Though, I stuck more to ranked BTB than I did the smaller playlists, so I dunno how much that was reflected.

Yeah. I wouldn't use not being able to get a 50 in H2 as a benchmark for much. 

I agree that there was a significant individual skill gap in both CE and H2 that wasn't as high in H3/HR - but I wouldn't use a playlist 50 as a means of comparison given the amount of cheating there was.

That definitely reflects into it Audley, but even if you did run with high ranked players and played the system to a tee. It didn't change the fact that it was a lot harder to get a higher ranking. Probably not the best example, but anyone who doesn't understand Halo 1/2 takes a lot more individual skill than all the other Halos... Doesn't understand Halo :/
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Maniac is not getting dropped off of OpTic, he actually played REALLY well at regionals, aka LANiac  :ghost:

Fixed it, I accidently wrote Victory X twice. FailFish

• Upvote (+1) 1

Way to early predictions for teams based on rumors and what I would like to see:

Optic: Naded Assault Flamesword Victory X

Let's hope the RNG and Optic don't match up, Victory will be sort of conflicted ;)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Even disregarding how good Ogre 2 is or isn't, you've got 3 players who play focused on the team, and one player who focuses on holding forward and finding targets.

You end up with a situation similar to what Liquid went through after the Ace/Heinz/APG/Unlegit roster first formed, where... power weapons and power-ups can go completely untouched or forgotten about, simply because the players on that team would so used to playing without them.

The players would at least pick them up when they're around them, but their playstyles both usually have them in a position where either they're not in position for them off spawn, or when they do grab them, their experience with the weapons is so much less than the players who ACTIVELY GO FOR THEM, they don't really know what do with them -- because that stuff comes from intuition and experience playing that way, not just "Oh I'm a pro player, I automatically know exactly what to do and where to go with this weapon."

If the trio is Ninja/VictoryX/Ogre 2, they need a selfish fourth that will just go off in the slaying department.

Personally, I'd rather see Ninja/VictoryX or Ninja/Ogre 2 looking for 2, and split up the Cam/Tom duo, because I think they'd both be better apart from one another.

If the roster was Ninja, (Victory X OR Ogre 2), Heinz, +a selfish fourth, then I think it would do great.  Ironically, I think the best player to suit Ninja's playstyle is one who left him (StelluR), for the same reason Neighbor got his best 09/10 H3 placing with ToTz.  StelluR likes to flank and slay selfishly... and when that's your playstyle, having someone who's CONSTANTLY drawing attention to themselves/being shot at gives you the most room to succeed and the least pressure on you as you make your pushes.

Also, I think with Suspector/Penguin/Royal 2/Snipedown spoken for, the pool for established pure slayers is drying up, and teams lower on the chain should look to raw talent to mold if they can't grab StelluR or Mikwen.

Great post. Also highlights the differences between Tier 1 & 2 players - Slayers come in two different breeds, which people overlook when they hope for Snipedown-Suspector-Royal2-Mikwen teams, lmao. 

In terms of "pure" slayers left, didn't FiS use to be main sniper in his H3 days? His net benefit to teams has gone down as he's had to play more flexibly/selflessly. 

Also, Randa & Arkanum could both be candidates. Randa is really good at controlling power weapons (barring LANda syndrome), and Arkanum played his best when he was on H2A WFX and putting up Snipedown level numbers.

Finally, really think Naded should try to be a "main slayer" again. Dude still has great indiv. skill, and makes the most mistakes when he's just bumrushing the obj. over and over.

• Upvote (+1) 1

what was the highest rank you got in btb?

are there still any btb tournaments? (I know you commentated the h4 one)

@@MATCLAN is the one to talk to about BTBnet tourneys coming back, I'm fairly sure they've been doing test lobbies to determine settings.

I don't recall exact number, but I never hit 40 in ranked BTB, passed 35.  (Wasn't on my TiberiusAudley tag, I'd literally borrowed a friend's XBox for months to play Halo 2.)

Also, @@ZipCity117, Cloud is an example of a player who can fill that niche, though he hasn't done it in a long time (keeps ending up on teams where he plays second fiddle.)  He's a versatile player these days and does a little bit of everything, and I think that's actually making him worse than if he were to just go back to his old ways.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not really, depends solely on the time frame you're referring to though, and playlist.

Lvs 25-30 in H2 were 50s in H3. Has a lot more to do with the two ranking systems though.

I know it's not directed to me but I'll weigh in on my ranks

Halo 2

BTB: - 38

Team Hardcore: 34-37

Team Slayer - 43

Halo 3

BTB: 50

MLG Playlist: 50

Slayer: 50

To keep it Halo 5 related.. 

Team Arena was like 2000 CSR or something

Team Slayer I had a high champion

I actually don't have much of a desire to reach Champion though in this game. I pretty much play with a good group of friends and play for the sake of having good competitive matches opposed to some rank. I like the ranking system in this game, but I just don't care to strive for the highest possible rank that I can achieve.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Has anyone consulted with a 343 employee about possible change to the weapon sandbox/map layouts/no radar? Or we discuss such things is it completely hypothetical?

Has anyone consulted with a 343 employee about possible change to the weapon sandbox/map layouts/no radar? Or we discuss such things is it completely hypothetical?

There isn't going to be a significant change, it won't happen, doesn't matter how many paragraphs people write, change isn't happening
  • Downvote (-1) 8

There isn't going to be a significant change, it won't happen, doesn't matter how many paragraphs people write, change isn't happening

change might happen. It just wasn't gonna happen before hwc was over
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I know it's not directed to me but I'll weigh in on my ranks

Halo 2

BTB: - 38

Team Hardcore: 34-37

Team Slayer - 43

Halo 3

BTB: 50

MLG Playlist: 50

Slayer: 50

I take ranks in Halo 2 with a grain of salt. Every time i reached the 30s in Hardcore I ran into a hacker every other game.

Thing is, I don't think you can have Penguin without Rayne, and Im not sure you would want Penguin without Rayne. They're both incredible players, and I'd say Rayne is the Snakebite to Penguin's Royal 2.

Wait what? Hahaha, as much as I would love to see both of them stick together. Neither of these 2 players NEED each other, I do hope however both of them end up on top squads they both deserve it. These two INDIVIDUALS would both make almost any team better, in my opinion Ofcourse.

• Upvote (+1) 1