CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I'm all about being realistic, but in order to grow the scene you need to make sure the money's being put into the right places.

Id rather have a smaller first place prize pool with all 8 teams getting a decent amount of the money for almost 3 months time than what we have now. We need to make Halo more enticing so more people play and more people follow and watch.

Yeah, I think I understand your point. If you have x amount of dollars to burn why feed it to the top 4 teams? Invest x amount of dollars to get the maximum amount of promotion and marketing.  

Now where and how to invest these dollars is debatable. You say invest it in the top 8-10 pro teams, which might not be a bad idea, but if I was 343 I would be worried that they'd take the money and nothing would change as far as YT and Twitch goes. Kind of how 343 has Bravo as the community manager, I think it would be cool to have a dedicated pro community manager. This guy could facilitate content and advertising, connecting halo waypoint with individual pro youtube and twitch accounts. (He could also be the go between for pros to voice opinions to 343 instead of throwing tweets at quin and others hoping one gets answered.)

• Upvote (+1) 7

Congratulations man! I'm glad they're working out, you deserve the attention  :smiley:

This community is incredible and I love being a part of it. So, Thanks for the kind words my man! Much appreciated! 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yeah, I think I understand your point. If you have x amount of dollars to burn why feed it to the top 4 teams? Invest x amount of dollars to get the maximum amount of promotion and marketing.

Now where and how to invest these dollars is debatable. You say invest it in the top 8-10 pro teams, which might not be a bad idea, but if I was 343 I would be worried that they'd take the money and nothing would change as far as YT and Twitch goes. Kind of how 343 has Bravo as the community manager, I think it would be cool to have a dedicated pro community manager. This guy could facilitate content and advertising, connecting halo waypoint with individual pro youtube and twitch accounts. (He could also be the go between for pros to voice opinions to 343 instead of throwing tweets at quin and others hoping one gets answered.)

That is a really, really good idea
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I think a lot of people are with me when I say radar is #1 on the wishlist. An assload of great posts have been done on why it really shouldnt be in HCS, right next to Team Arena not mirroring the maps on the curcuit.

A lot of people here are 100% into HCS right now but I for one struggle to watch and play competitive Halo with radar, as well as dealing with ass non-HCS maps in rotation. It should have never been there in the first place, and it especially shouldn't be in the game now.

Not sure how much of these decisions is your responsibility but at least be known to the boys at 343 that "343 silly-settings-fun-time" is over, the community has always been driving force for the best competitive settings for over a decade, and that's never changed. Thanks for all the words and intel Viv, we appreciate all the work you guys do.

wow out

Call me old, but I do remember when the competitive settings were developed and instituted by Anakin at MLG (no duals in Halo 2 for example). 

• Upvote (+1) 9

if I've learned anything in my 8 years of forum and Internet experience, it's that you have to get ahead of any and all comments to control the story. That'll be 1 sub to pay for that tip.

Beyond forums... Where you're only as good as your last scrim!!

• Upvote (+1) 4

Call me old, but I do remember when the competitive settings were developed and instituted by Anakin at MLG (no duals in Halo 2 for example). 

You're old.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Beyond forums... Where you're only as good as your last scrim!!

*Last game of your last scrim

• Upvote (+1) 8

I'm confused as to why you take a single fact as a part of larger point and say I'm "just" here to talk about how unpopular halo is. Halo is unpopular bro it is a fact, and that fact obviously contributes to the point that there is not much money to be made in Halo compared to other esports. 

But you continue to speak of this as if it's some constant fact, unable to be changed or improved upon, and that's why I find most of your posts to be wrong.

Sure, Halo is unpopular relative to other eSports right now. But no one invests in something without expecting growth. You're basically saying that because competitive Halo is small right now, it can never be big, which is absurd. Microsoft clearly sees the same opportunity in eSports that most smart companies see right now, which is why they're investing in their game that's delivered on their console. 343 is great, but they're not good samaritans. They have definitely invested, but don't forget that much of the prize pool for HWC was crowdfunded.

$1M is not that much of an investment for a corporation given the amount of future money to be made from growing this scene NOW. Their motives are not, "let's be nice to this group of 50 people", it's "how can we guarantee we maximize our long term profits off of this massive opportunity"

People on this thread, a discussion thread where most of us SUPPORT the pros and the competitive scene, have been talking like 343 is some sort of saint and the pros are greedy for wanting more teams to have a shot at some money.

Reminder: Halo 5 games and hardware pulled in $400M in revenue in its first week and the Halo franchise has pulled in over $5 BILLION lifetime.

But sure, a pro player is entitled because they're pushing Halo to grow, have more support, and have more opportunity. Give me a break.

• Upvote (+1) 7

OT for a sec forgive me.

Can we all just agree that this guy is our favorite baseball player of all time?

4gK23YSl.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Previous post aside, I think this idea of a dedicated pro community manager is a remarkably good idea that would allow for 343 and the community to capitalize more efficiently on any increased investment.

• Upvote (+1) 1

But you continue to speak of this as if it's some constant fact, unable to be changed or improved upon, and that's why I find most of your posts to be wrong.

Sure, Halo is unpopular relative to other eSports right now. But no one invests in something without expecting growth. You're basically saying that because competitive Halo is small right now, it can never be big, which is absurd. Microsoft clearly sees the same opportunity in eSports that most smart companies see right now, which is why they're investing in their game that's delivered on their console. 343 is great, but they're not good samaritans. They have definitely invested, but don't forget that much of the prize pool for HWC was crowdfunded.

$1M is not that much of an investment for a corporation given the amount of future money to be made from growing this scene NOW. Their motives are not, "let's be nice to this group of 50 people", it's "how can we guarantee we maximize our long term profits off of this massive opportunity"

People on this thread, a discussion thread where most of us SUPPORT the pros and the competitive scene, have been talking like 343 is some sort of saint and the pros are greedy for wanting more teams to have a shot at some money.

Reminder: Halo 5 games and hardware pulled in $400M in revenue in its first week and the Halo franchise has pulled in over $5 BILLION lifetime.

But sure, a pro player is entitled because they're pushing Halo to grow, have more support, and have more opportunity. Give me a break.

If this is how you feel, than your projecting on me because I haven't spoken like it is a constant fact, or unable to change or be improved. Nor have I said that a pro player is entitled

I've only made the obvious point there is no money being handed out because the money is not there because of the size of the game. Good lord. Yes lets grow the game and how are we going to do it? Are you suggesting Microsoft pour more money into it? I'm sorry if you feel like I'm being negative, truly I'm not trying to be.

• Upvote (+1) 1

To those freaking out about Quinn and Binaries...

The statements defending Binary Rifles on Coliseum were revolving around the fact that

1. There's less potential kills per weapon spawn (6 vs 12) on a Binary Rifle vs a Sniper Rifle.
  2. Simply swiping over a person will not kill them, you have to hold the beam steady on them for at least a little bit (it's like a quarter to half second)

HOWEVER, I recommended to him that, since Forge allows the modification of starting battery % of weapons now, they replace the Binaries with BEAM Rifles on the map, with 50-60% battery.

The logic I gave in support of this was that... in addition to functionally being a Sniper Rifle, it prevents a situation where pushing to the opponent's side and killing their Sniper nullifies the existence of one of the Snipers on the map.  Because the Beam Rifle is a battery-powered weapon, stepping on it with a Sniper Rifle in your hands or back pocket doesn't combine it with yours.  You have to spread the Beams across two members instead, reducing the potential abuse cases of another team always just stacking the Sniper/Binary ammo and backing off to their side.

He seems amicable, with his one defense being "People might be confused picking up a weapon not at full ammo."  I gave him a potential justification...and then he said he'd try it today.

This community is incredible and I love being a part of it. So, Thanks for the kind words my man! Much appreciated! 

I'm paranoid because when I woke up and checked this thread, it said "FlizzyFletch has mentioned you in this post."  WHAT DID YOU SAY, MAN!?

• Upvote (+1) 9

I actually hope only top 4 teams get payed. There are so many ams that deserve to be on a top 12 or even top 8 team and that won't happen unless only the best of the best get paid. Cause if only top 4 got paid more pros would call it a quits. And Paying the 8th ranked team just keeps someone like ogre 2 playing the game. Inb4 negged because people actually think ogre2 isn't washed. Also just because you are good at halo doesn't mean you should get paid. Only the best should be getting paid. Players hard work should pay off.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 19

Wow guys.

I just read like 10 pages without seeing anything about how much someone pays for rent.

Unbelievable.

I think you skipped a post, then.  There was definitely one in my morning catch up. :(

Some guy from New York.

CONFIRMED SAUCEY DOESN'T READ, EVERYONE POST CHAUCER!!!

Trollface.png

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm paranoid because when I woke up and checked this thread, it said "FlizzyFletch has mentioned you in this post."  WHAT DID YOU SAY, MAN!?

Somebody made a comment directed at me with kudos and good work and I said that there are a few key people in the community who deserve the love and attention. You were among the few that I mentioned, then I realized it was pretty cringe so I deleted it.

Stayed up for 24 hours (7 'til 7 - in uk) to watch CLG vs Liquid had 2 hours sleep then had to get up for uni lectures, and I plan on doing exactly the same tonight :'}

Spartan is definitely Liquid's best player, skill-wise & communication he's just a level above his teammates imo.

If this is how you feel, than your projecting on me because I haven't spoken like it is a constant fact, or unable to change or be improved. Nor have I said that a pro player is entitled

I've only made the obvious point there is no money being handed out because the money is not there because of the size of the game. Good lord. Yes lets grow the game and how are we going to do it? Are you suggesting Microsoft pour more money into it? I'm sorry if you feel like I'm being negative, truly I'm not trying to be.

Eh, you doubled down on the idea that Halo is a small, unpopular game unworthy of investment, so I don't think it was projection on my end to initially interpret that in the way I did. As you post more I feel you're better clarifying your thoughts, and I see what you're saying a little more clearly.

Sorry if my entire post came off as directed at you, that wasn't my intention. Similarly, I never intended to say you were the one saying pro players were entitled; I referred to "people on this thread".

:smiley:

Edit: I also think it would be a great idea if Microsoft invested more money in the short-term in the interest of growing the popularity of Halo as an eSport. People may not agree, but I feel given the game's revenues they've actually been a little timid in their spending. I understand the reasons for it, I just think they can take some short-term Ls to get this scene ready for the eSports explosion that will happen in the States over the next 2-5 years. 

I may be wrong, I just really believe in competitive Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Stayed up for 24 hours (7 'til 7 - in uk) to watch CLG vs Liquid had 2 hours sleep then had to get up for uni lectures, and I plan on doing exactly the same tonight :'}

Spartan is definitely Liquid's best player, skill-wise & communication he's just a level above his teammates imo.

Such is life of a UK Halo fan. Been up til 6am every night this past week watching scrims lol.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Wow guys.

I just read like 10 pages without seeing anything about how much someone pays for rent.

Unbelievable.

350 a month. Who's got that beat?

I actually hope only top 4 teams get payed. There are so many ams that deserve to be on a top 12 or even top 8 team and that won't happen unless only the best of the best get paid. Cause if only top 4 got paid more pros would call it a quits. And Paying the 8th ranked team just keeps someone like ogre 2 playing the game. Inb4 negged because people actually think ogre2 isn't washed. Also just because you are good at halo doesn't mean you should get paid. Only the best should be getting paid. Players hard work should pay off.

The problem people are going to point out is that teams getting payed by an org are going to have the time to practice and will compete at a higher level than ams who have day jobs. A good counter example to this is optic gaming but that's another story. Another problem is if pros are quitting and instead you get a constant stream of ams their goes your name recognition and fanbase.

Now I do think something needs to change because of the lopsided 3-0 sweeps we saw throughout last season. X games for example was boring as hell to watch except for the finals when eg went off. The only thing that made the rest of the season interesting was Denial. We need more teams like Denial but this is just thinking out loud and I've really not thought about what causes all the boring lopsided matches.

OT for a sec forgive me.

Can we all just agree that this guy is our favorite baseball player of all time?

4gK23YSl.jpg

Nah dude, anybody who watches baseball should know that this man is the legend.

041016_texlaa_simmons_beltre_goof_lo_a95

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

The problem people are going to point out is that teams getting payed by an org are going to have the time to practice and will compete at a higher level than ams who have day jobs. A good counter example to this is optic gaming but that's another story. Another problem is if pros are quitting and instead you get a constant stream of ams their goes your name recognition and fanbase.

Now I do think something needs to change because of the lopsided 3-0 sweeps we saw throughout last season. X games for example was boring as hell to watch except for the finals when eg went off. The only thing that made the rest of the season interesting was Denial. We need more teams like Denial but this is just thinking out loud and I've really not thought about what causes all the boring lopsided matches.

You can't really say that because 2 top 4 teams, Eg and RNG both have a member who work full time. Obviously they can still put in the time to be a top player. I also agree with needing more teams like last seasons denial. Personally i think the reason for all the lopsided series were because a lot of teams had to pick up someone last second because of lethals move to CLG. A lot of teams got significantly worse because of that. Now that teams have the squads that they want. I expect this season to have a lot more competition and I think CLG will have some very challenging series ahead of them once these new teams get practice under their belt