CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Came to this thread expecting questions to answer (hint, all answers are "info coming soon") and I'm now discussing costs of living in various parts of the country. 

Well this is a discussion thread of sorts.  Hang around a bit more and you'll see how we do.

excited.gif

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Which Pro Team needs an org? DM me.  :holmes:

I knew it!  :intel:  :intel:  :intel:  :intel:  :intel:  :intel:  :intel:  :intel:  :intel:  :intel:  :intel:  :intel:  :intel:  :intel:  :intel:  :intel:  :intel:  :intel:  :intel:  :intel:  :intel:  :dank:  :dank:  :dank:  :dank:  :simms:  :simms:  :simms:  :simms:

I come into work early, sit down to catch up on 30+ pages of this thread, that unusually high number means  :intel:  has dropped. I learn that there will be consistent to-tier Halo 5 to watch this year, very exciting.

Then after 20 pages I see the talk goes into the cost of living. Beyond is one of my escapism hideouts, don't make it like real life. Pls.

Came to this thread expecting questions to answer (hint, all answers are "info coming soon") and I'm now discussing costs of living in various parts of the country. 

Whos on the HCS Council? This might be a question for @@Tashi though

You calculate your teams reach and you sell sponsorship decks to companies. Beyond also has an advantage over other gaming organizations and teams simply because of our website, not even counting any player reach.

Liquid would have you beat there, since it was the home to western competitive StarCraft for probably a decade by now.

Any scrims happening tonight? 

RNG and nV later i think.

they were going to scrim CLG but felt they needed time with ninja being out. so, tomorrow potentially.

Org salaries are interesting. From my semi decent knowledge, I am fairly sure that ALG was the highest paid Halo team at $1k a month per player.

Maybe CLG or EG have similar or competitive price points, but we all have to remember: it's HALO. This scene is emerging, you don't need dank fat stacks to have a foothold with a team (sadly).

Anyways - people ask me all the time, why doesn't Beyond pick up a team?

My answer is: Well, we could. However, my main concern is that everyone is expecting some type of salary or compensation right? Fair enough. How do you pay these salaries without taking a loss?

You calculate your teams reach and you sell sponsorship decks to companies. Beyond also has an advantage over other gaming organizations and teams simply because of our website, not even counting any player reach.

So I obviously love Halo, but from a business perspective I ask myself - how do I NOT turn a "Team Beyond" into a giant regretful money pit? I mentioned selling sponsorship decks against players that you sign, to companies for their marketing dollars, which is what every single other team does.

However: we get to the root of the problem. Look at Halo players on social, YouTube, Twitch, etc. 90% of these guys don't stream, don't have many followers or a fan base, don't produce video content or have subscribers, and generally don't understand how valuable these platforms are when it comes to increasing their eSports income.

So how do you sell sponsorship decks, against a majority of players who don't really have much of a following? You can't. Well, you can try, but you will more than likely not impress whoever you are trying to get money from.

Just my two cents.

Hire Lethul, Snipedown, Ninja, Snakebite and you get 3k everyday

Hire Lethul, Snipedown, Ninja, Snakebite and you get 3k everyday

Well, see - I'm not saying valuable influencers don't exist in the Halo scene. However, I would say that stating a "handful" of Halo influencers exist would be a generous statement.

And those handful are usually under contract, because all these orgs are playing the same game.

Well, see - I'm not saying valuable influencers don't exist in the Halo scene. However, I would say that stating a "handful" of Halo influencers exist would be a generous statement.

And those handful are usually under contract, because all these orgs are playing the same game.

Yea but if the game keeps growing it doesn't seem entirely out of the question in the future.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yea but if the game keeps growing it doesn't seem entirely out of the question in the future.

I don't like entertaining "if" scenarios. But yes, IF the game can grow then it isn't an outlandish concept for the future, but there are a lot of variables and obstacles to cross before then.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Liquid would have you beat there, since it was the home to western competitive StarCraft for probably a decade by now.

True, they are also extremely established like you mentioned, and are involved in games that are massive.

I like Team Liquid, they have some smart guys on their marketing team.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If you took $50k off the top of the prize pool for season 1, you would have $200k left for the season finals.

$50k / 32 pro players = $1562.50. Divide this by 2 for $781.25 for each month of the pro league.

Season finals:

1 $75k

2 $30k

3-4 $20k

5-8 $13,750

I don't see an issue with this format. Maybe the split for season finals is wonky, since I don't know how prize pools are normally calculated. If they're already putting up $250k for a 2 month long season, why not split off some of the total pot and spread it out to all 32 players in the league? ~$780 a month is definitely more than enough for a Halo pro right now. With stream revenue and org salary on top of an HCS paycheck and potential winnings after 2 months, I feel like this would be the best way to set this up. Then everybody should be happy and continue grinding. Any pro with any sort of Twitch following is going to make out even better.

But is this life changing?  :walshy:

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don't like entertaining "if" scenarios. But yes, IF the game can grow then it isn't an outlandish concept for the future, but there are a lot of variables and obstacles to cross before then.

But not out of the realm of possibility.  Not saying go ahead and do it, but as you said, it is an entertaining thought(and a bunch of hard work of course.)

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't know the logistics behind it, but...if you wanted to get into being an org, would it be feasible for TeamBeyond to start in the same manner TSM did, where the TeamBeyond website serves as a nexus for Halo's guides, and as a "signal boost" for streamers -- players sign under the "TeamBeyond" moniker -- if TeamBeyond is able to pick up significant sponsors off that, then it could take steps toward picking up a "Tournament Squad" which would compete under the name "TeamBeyond" and represent the website/org when competing.

Long before TSM was TSM, they actually competed under the name "All or Nothing" while Regi and Dan built up a huge following of the solomid.net website.  Eventually, that website's traffic and value was enough to turn it into a full blown org of its own.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don't know the logistics behind it, but...if you wanted to get into being an org, would it be feasible for TeamBeyond to start in the same manner TSM did, where the TeamBeyond website serves as a nexus for Halo's guides, and as a "signal boost" for streamers -- players sign under the "TeamBeyond" moniker -- if TeamBeyond is able to pick up significant sponsors off that, then it could take steps toward picking up a "Tournament Squad" which would compete under the name "TeamBeyond" and represent the website/org when competing.

Long before TSM was TSM, they actually competed under the name "All or Nothing" while Regi and Dan built up a huge following of the solomid.net website. Eventually, that website's traffic and value was enough to turn it into a full blown org of its own.

Probably not. I have a few ideas though. :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 1

man that is pretty cool of @@Cratos to take care of his family and friends with his winnings. That says a lot about a guy right there. Its crazy to think some people literally drop everything in their life to be the best and i now realize while that may not be the same for everybody, that may be what it takes to be at the absolute top in this game. Judging by how he sees himself as the best player, i guess extreme confidence plays a part in that too, something i currently lack.

• Upvote (+1) 2

@@FlizzyFletch Really loving the player spotlights, especially with pros who are newer to the scene. Keep up what you're doing, looking forward to @

Lincoln County area, done talking about this on here lol, DM if actually interested.

Thanks man! <3

man that is pretty cool of @@Cratos to take care of his family and friends with his winnings. That says a lot about a guy right there. Its crazy to think some people literally drop everything in their life to be the best and i now realize while that may not be the same for everybody, that may be what it takes to be at the absolute top in this game. Judging by how he sees himself as the best player, i guess extreme confidence plays a part in that too, something i currently lack.

Just from talking with the guy, you get this vibe of...I dont want to call it cocky confidence, but it is. But at the same time, he passes off this real genuine persona who actually appreciates what he has and hasn't taken for granted what he's achieved.

I'll be the first to admit, I used to hate Cratos back in the day, but this spotlight and getting the chance to talk with him on a personal level genuinely made me a fan and I wish nothing but the best for the dude...

• Upvote (+1) 8