CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Honest question: Is Ninja an asset to a Top 4 team or a fan favorite that people just want to be on a winning team?

49235330.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 4

Is this... Ninja mediating a Roybox argument? Seriously, it turned from them yelling at each other to a productive discussion.

• Upvote (+1) 7

the only gripe people have with ninja is he dies too much in slayer gametypes.. in objs especially in flag gametypes he ranks second only behind snakebite in whatever fantasy hcs calls "stats"   look at my last retweet for that graphic. 

I saw a graphic posted somewhere that showed kills vs deaths per minute for the Pro League and Ninja was the very high in both categories. Probably why he's not high on the KDA chart.

Honest question: Is Ninja an asset to a Top 4 team or a fan favorite that people just want to be on a winning team?

Why not both?

He's definitely one of the most entertaining stories to follow. But he's also unquestionably a top 16 player in Halo 5, and I would personally put him a lot higher than that. Anybody telling you he doesn't belong on a top 4 team is just drinking the kool aid and buying into the idea that he's a stream kid, which is just hopelessly out of date. Historically, sure, 2gre was goat, 'ola is a wizard, Ninja is a stream kid, Lunchbox and Roy are the most valuable duo in the game, and Contra is trash. If you actually watch the games though, you start to see a different story. Halo 5 really gives you the ability to separate yourself based on the ability to escape death and reverse 1v1s, in contrast to Halos all the way back to Halo 2. That makes the Ninjas and the Contras of the world WAY more valuable, because they can put a team on their shoulders when they get hot.

• Upvote (+1) 8

49235330.jpg

You don't usually have these types of discussions about people who are definitively both. Ninja seems to be very polarizing. (Thank you high school Spanish, no translator required).

NInja is an asset to get a team to precisely top 4 and no higher.  He's like the 16th best player in H5

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

the only gripe people have with ninja is he dies too much in slayer gametypes.. in objs especially in flag gametypes he ranks second only behind snakebite in whatever fantasy hcs calls "stats"   look at my last retweet for that graphic. 

"the only gripe" lol

You forgot to mention that as soon as he tilts he starts making dumb plays and causes his team to lose

• Upvote (+1) 2

ninja is the Jeremy Lin of the HCS. He's got a lot of fans, and he's not awful, but I don't ever see him being on top 2 squad.

• Upvote (+1) 5

lets make the hypothetical top 4 real quick.

clg lethul snakebite royal 2 frosty

nv: Snipedown Huke Mikwen Ola

C9: Penguin Rayne Spartan Hammy

e6: Suspector bubu cratos sstellur

in my honest no bias opinion swear to the lord harambe: ninja is better than at least 1 player on each of these teams besides CLG and maybe nv

c9: better than rayne but rayguin duo is really good so we gotta se how they compete vs clg

e6: could say ninja is better than stellur and suspector

now before i get called braindead again...

"better" as in i think with no actual pro league games played just based off how they played on their other teams the players i said he is better than are the players i believe are going to be the weakest links. 

this is my opinion. and my answer to whether or not i think ninja is an asset to a top 4 team or a detriment. 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 10

Why not both?

He's definitely one of the most entertaining stories to follow. But he's also unquestionably a top 16 player in Halo 5, and I would personally put him a lot higher than that. Anybody telling you he doesn't belong on a top 4 team is just drinking the kool aid and buying into the idea that he's a stream kid, which is just hopelessly out of date. Historically, sure, 2gre was goat, 'ola is a wizard, Ninja is a stream kid, Lunchbox and Roy are the most valuable duo in the game, and Contra is trash. If you actually watch the games though, you start to see a different story. Halo 5 really gives you the ability to separate yourself based on the ability to escape death and reverse 1v1s, in contrast to Halos all the way back to Halo 2. That makes the Ninjas and the Contras of the world WAY more valuable, because they can put a team on their shoulders when they get hot.

It could be both but I feel like if that was the case people would talk about him differently. I haven't been in the scene very long and I know the stereotype that he is stream kid. That being said, as a long time sports fan I get the vibe that Ninja is like Tracy McGrady; at his best he can play with and beat the greats but there is something holding him back from winning tournaments.

He's got a lot of fans, and he's not awful, but I don't ever see him being on top 2 squad.

That made me think more of Carmelo Anthony. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

If I'm not mistaken, Ninja was #1 in damage per minute in pro league, but nowhere near #1 in damage per death.

He's a great asset for people who can follow up his damage, but his tendency to focus on dealing damage over staying alive makes him a detriment in flags and slayers at times.

I won't say he definitively belongs on a top 4 team, since his average placing in H5 so far does not reflect it (a couple of 4ths and T8 at Regionals/Worlds) -- but he is definitely capable of performing at an adequate level for a top 4 team.

But last season, we saw (especially at the very end of the season) anyone 2-7 could beat each other.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

interesting split i guess. Doesn't seem like Ninja's options are looking good based on the last two nights then.

Ninja naded and roybox were 8-6 vs e6 before they replayed every game

How is that worse then what these teams are doing? You guys just want to see roybox fail to confirm your biases

• Upvote (+1) 6

I've matched with and against scaryotic so many times.  I've never met another person in my entire life with such a bad attitude.  I don't understand how anyone could ever team with him.

Edit: that was referring to the tweet eamonn posted.  clearly i suck at quoting

Edit again:  uh well maybe i don't suck at quoting.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I feel like if you're an asset to a top 4 team and are known you will be on a top 4 team. I really hope we don't start seeing more posts about how people "deserve" to be on this team or that team this season like they aren't exactly where they put themselves already.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It could be both but I feel like if that was the case people would talk about him differently. I haven't been in the scene very long and I know the stereotype that he is stream kid. That being said, as a long time sports fan I get the vibe that Ninja is like Tracy McGrady; at his best he can play with and beat the greats but there is something holding him back from winning tournaments.

In H2A, I think this would have been a fair characterization. In H5, he's a purebred, honest-to-goodness, great player. Just watch the rebroadcast of him playing against the new NV from last night. He was on a team that was at a significant slaying power disadvantage, and the delineation between what he was able to do versus the rest of his teammates was quite obvious.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ninja naded and roybox were 8-6 vs e6 before they replayed every game

How is that worse then what these teams are doing? You guys just want to see roybox fail to confirm your biases

I didn't catch that series, and I'm mostly grasping at straws with all the scrims flying around. I have no bias one way or the other about roybox. I know people bring up their work/life balance, but I don't know enough to say. i guess we'll see 

There is no more satisfying feeling than watching Ninja ambitiously charge Blue Bend solo and hearing Victory X just say "I have Light Rifle behind you Outside, Ty"

• Upvote (+1) 4

I feel like if you're an asset to a top 4 team and are known you will be on a top 4 team. I really hope we don't start seeing more posts about how people "deserve" to be on this team or that team this season like they aren't exactly where they put themselves already.

Oh man the "Ninja deserves better" is the worst.  :mj:

49235330.jpg

"Because not both?"  :simms:

lets make the hypothetical top 4 real quick.

clg lethul snakebite royal 2 frosty

nv: Snipedown Huke Mikwen Ola

C9: Penguin Rayne Spartan Hammy

e6: Suspector bubu cratos sstellur

in my honest no bias opinion swear to the lord harambe: ninja is better than at least 1 player on each of these teams besides CLG and maybe nv

c9: better than rayne but rayguin duo is really good so we gotta se how they compete vs clg

e6: could say ninja is better than stellur and suspector

now before i get called braindead again...

"better" as in i think with no actual pro league games played just based off how they played on their other teams the players i said he is better than are the players i believe are going to be the weakest links. 

this is my opinion. and my answer to whether or not i think ninja is an asset to a top 4 team or a detriment. 

I'm not disputing anything you're saying because at the end of the day it comes down to opinions. However, how can you say your opinion is unbiased. You're clearly a huge Ninja fan and there's clear bias there.

• Upvote (+1) 1

the only reason ninja is not a top 4 team right now is because of dumb halo politics.

he and hammy has disagreements and because hammy and sparty and penguin get along it was an easy choice to kick ninja for rayne. 

these rosters are not set, and i bet we see roybox split and ninja on a top 4 team by the end of this.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 20