CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Whatever happened to the open bracket connecting to the pro bracket at Live Events? MLG 2009-2010 type tournaments, why did we leave this system?

ESL believes that having Pros and AMs meeting in LANs obstructs the path of AMs into the pro scene.

Or some mental gymnast BS like that.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I thought the Xgames format was better TBH.  It made it more interesting for the viewer.  Group play into single elim.  You can't deny that yesterday's final was absolutely anti-climatic.  Even if E6 was taking games, to have to win 8 maps vs CLG was just yea..

I know it was probably because there were only 4 teams that maybe such a format wouldn't work.

Maybe they need 6 in the playoffs next season while the last 2 are relegated.  

JMHO.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

By doing this, you take away the incentive to win all the way to the GF, and instead give teams a way to avoid certain by matchups (by going to LB and fighting either better matchups/weaker teams) and come up on the other side with the same advantage as the WB finalist. Just because it worked out for your Lacrosse team, doesn't not mean it can't be abused in an eSport.

I seriously doubt teams are going to risk having to play multiple elimination matches in loser's bracket just to avoid a match up in winner's.

The team that goes through winner's bracket gets to avoid all those single elim games in loser's. That is an advantage. It's the easier road.

Let's pretend for a minute that CLG isn't an invincible God squad. Let's say CLG, E6 and NV are all equally matched teams. Winning winner's finals would still be a huge advantage because you would avoid having to risk losing in the loser's finals.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It ensured that the winning team in a rematch won more games than the other, i.e. you beat team A 3-0 in the first match up but lose 3-2 in the second...and you are eliminated with actually winning more maps against that opponent.

There is a lot of discourse around it, I personally enjoyed it.

That, too.

I liked it because it meant in situations where the first series between the two teams was something like Onslaught CTF, Heretic TS, and Lockdown Ball (may have been Heretic Ball) like in the 2010 National Championships between Carbon and Classic (which was unfortunately a single elim, tiered-based-off-seeds bracket)...

Then if the teams met again, the next gametypes they played would be guaranteed to be more diverse, since the Midship clones were already off the table.

It was frustrating to me to see a series decided by essentially Midship Games 1-3, but in double elim/continuation context, it'd mean the next series would be all Pits, Narrows, Construct...

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was watching Defend the North Street Fighter 5 Finals stream last night.  And granted, FGC is always really "loose" on their casting... but the amount of just silliness in the stream made it incredibly entertaining.

The Ken player tried to jump into the Vega player, who was very on-point with his anti-airs.  Commentator proceeded to say:

"You can't just fly in like that!  You can't fly in!  You'll get shot down!

Like a wild goose!

Over a red state!

With no gun control!"

^ Those were the words being spoken while Vega comboed Ken to death after that failed aerial entry.  They didn't talk about what attacks Vega was using.  They just continued to dwell, comically, upon Ken's mistake that gave Vega the round.

Nuckledu, upon winning a round as R.Mika against (Birdie?) proceeded to spam his crouch button over Birdie.  The casters proceeded to say:

"Hit him with the teabag!"
"Bubble tea!"
"BOBA!  BOBA FETT!  IS THIS A HALO MATCH OR A STREET FIGHTER ONE?"

It was just incredibly loose, entertaining, and hyped all at the same time.

They still fit in the important analysis/color commentary regarding frame data, whiff-punishes, et cetera...but they were sure to entertain when that sort of stuff wasn't relevant.

Exactly, I've been watching a lot of FGC events lately and even when I don't know the games they are entertaining. That's how it should be. Even casual viewers should want to stay and listen to the commentators.

Oh boys, I've already constructed an open letter to say how shit 343 and ESL have been this season! :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 2

Oh boys, I've already constructed an open letter to say how shit 343 and ESL have been this season! :lxthul:

Props for working on it, every time I want to type something myself I'm reminded it probably won't make a difference.

• Upvote (+1) 7

When Adam comes in here after running an incredible Gears tournament all weekend to talk Halo Tournament specifics it makes me miss MLG even more.

I wonder what would happen if he found out we didn't get a schedule or prize breakdown from an official source...

• Upvote (+1) 4

I was watching Defend the North Street Fighter 5 Finals stream last night. And granted, FGC is always really "loose" on their casting... but the amount of just silliness in the stream made it incredibly entertaining.

The Ken player tried to jump into the Vega player, who was very on-point with his anti-airs. Commentator proceeded to say:

"You can't just fly in like that! You can't fly in! You'll get shot down!

Like a wild goose!

Over a red state!

With no gun control!"

^ Those were the words being spoken while Vega comboed Ken to death after that failed aerial entry. They didn't talk about what attacks Vega was using. They just continued to dwell, comically, upon Ken's mistake that gave Vega the round.

Nuckledu, upon winning a round as R.Mika against (Birdie?) proceeded to spam his crouch button over Birdie. The casters proceeded to say:

"Hit him with the teabag!"

"Bubble tea!"

"BOBA! BOBA FETT! IS THIS A HALO MATCH OR A STREET FIGHTER ONE?"

It was just incredibly loose, entertaining, and hyped all at the same time.

They still fit in the important analysis/color commentary regarding frame data, whiff-punishes, et cetera...but they were sure to entertain when that sort of stuff wasn't relevant.

Yipes, mike ross, zhi, fword and logan sama will forever be my favorite commentators. Great "loose" commentary but informative as well with their duo

Props for working on it, every time I want to type something myself I'm reminded it probably won't make a difference.

You might have seen my one regarding single elimination after HWC? I posted it on reddit. Honestly, I think it does make a difference :)

You might have seen my one regarding single elimination after HWC? I posted it on reddit. Honestly, I think it does make a difference :)

Yea it was great, it's just annoying at this point that we are basically fighting for the bare minimum of easy fixes (schedule, prizing, conventional venues etc). We can't even move on to the more important stuff it seems (open lan, observer mode for public, etc). I really hope this season was a learning experience for everyone involved.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Props for remembering not to post the link  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

He can't post it because reddit rules are weird. :mj:

Yea it was great, it's just annoying at this point that we are basically fighting for the bare minimum of easy fixes (schedule, prizing, conventional venues etc). We can't even move on to the more important stuff it seems (open lan, observer mode for public, etc). I really hope this season was a learning experience for everyone involved.

I'm honestly curious to see if Microsoft is going to have anything to say in the coming year or so. With having ESL and MLG involved with two different titles they'll be able to do a "side by side" and see which organization grows their respective title most efficiently.

Especially considering Microsoft seems to be seeing dollar signs with eSports and is investing more in them.

And I can sort of understand their rules but it seems like they're a bit dated... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

An observation about the analyst desk.  

The analyst desk was great having around when they stayed on topic,  but often I noticed they would allow themselves to simply react to or commentate on the highlights that we already watched after each match.  

I'd rather the camera focus on the analyst rather than the reel.  It seems to be distracting and the analysts take it as the main point of conversation when it should just be background and secondary to their thoughts.

• Upvote (+1) 1

All I want is MLG back in some form. I know it probably isn't realistic, but I would be content with ESL running the Fall Season, but Finals being run by MLG. Like I said, I don't know if that is even possible, but if it is an option, it HAS to be considered. 

@

I was looking at your recent Gears announcement (Hype!) and noticed a lot of love for MLG Columbus. Will we ever see a return to the south? (Specifically MLG Raleigh or MLG Charlotte).

I think Esl has enough leagues and tournaments under their belt to not give them the benefit of "learning experience". At this point its more about a specific group of ppl not doing their work properly. Just look at the difference between Na and Eu Halo league. Is this even the same company ?

• Upvote (+1) 5

An observation about the analyst desk.  

The analyst desk was great having around when they stayed on topic,  but often I noticed they would allow themselves to simply react to or commentate on the highlights that we already watched after each match.  

I'd rather the camera focus on the analyst rather than the reel.  It seems to be distracting and the analysts take it as the main point of conversation when it should just be background and secondary to their thoughts.

Postgame/post-series analysis needs to focus on storylines and points of interest.  Bravo did well providing power weapon stats per game, and was receptive when I showed him some other stats from h5a game tracking that would be interesting to see tracked for LANs (they can't currently do it, but can arrange it for future LANs).

But they need to also focus on things like the fact that E6, "the Strongholds team" didn't win a Strongholds game the entire weekend.  That's incredibly relevant.  Focus on things the teams aren't doing or should be doing or tried to do and failed.

I think it'd help if they had the analysts desk offer predictions with reasoning behind those predictions before a series, so after the series they can talk about where their expectations were wrong, or where their expectations were right.

When it's [any team] vs CLG, talk about which gametypes team has the best chance against CLG in, and what they need to stop CLG from doing to win.  Post-series, talk about whether or not they succeeded in doing those things, even if CLG still won the series.

As a more specific example, nV vs E6, the only one of those 7 gametypes I'd say was outright E6-favored was Coliseum TS.  Both strongholds games were the two stronger SH gametypes for nV (they had 2 good, 2 weak), and E6 was generally good at all, but Rig SH was noticeably/statistically their weakest over the course of the season.  As for the flags, Stasis was E6's best flag, and they drafted it despite taking a side disadvantage (they overcame it and won).  nV's best slayers over the last two months have been Plaza and Rig, though they every single slayer vs E6.

• Upvote (+1) 3

LMAO

I addressed this in the letter. Truly sad though.

Havent posted it yet, I will in a couple hours :) 

I want to run events all over the country again. 

We will band together and make it happen.<3

Actually so disappointed Frosty didn't get an interview at all throughout the season. I thought they were gonna save him for last. FeelsBadMan 

This is literally a guess, but maybe he didn't want to do an interview? I doubt they absolutely HAVE TO do interviews if they don't want to.

Frosty intentionally dodged interviews. I believe he told ESL that his cam was broken to get out of the online interviews.  :D

I want to run events all over the country again. 

This is one of the main reasons I want MLG back to be honest  :mj: everyone in the country has a shot of going to an event without paying an arm and a leg for travel costs.

• Upvote (+1) 1