CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I mean they could, but not everyone wants to talk in front of a camera and vlog. YouTube isn't the only place to grow Halo videos. Instagram/Twitter/and Periscope are viable places for growth. 

That's the whole point though, we (the fans) want to get to know them better as human beings. I (along others) would appreciate content from the pros, and I think they are just hurting themselves by not taking the opportunity they have in front of them to make content. 

Like I said earlier, if your only job is to play halo, you should try to keep it that way! Fuck it, review some gameplay on stream and cut that into the youtube. Stream a gameplay and use that as the background while you vlog, 

I'll start my youtube channel back up as the shitty halo player I am to get some of these cogs in motion.

• Upvote (+1) 2

That's part of the issue though. Had we as a community had a large following on youtube from the beginning maybe Halo would be more popular? I feel like a big reason for CoD blowing up/staying relevant was due to the youtube community as a whole. 

No. That's a bit of revisionist history. The demise of Halo started with the H3 not being as good as H2 (no knock to H3) and CoD 4 being probably the best CoD game to ever come out.

If you're a Halo pro right now and you want to do this fulltime, you may as well start with youtube now and try to grow the game. Who knows, maybe in 2-3 years the game is huge. If you've built up your audience for the years before it gets bigger you'll be making more money with it than someone who just starts up once its big. You'll already have a fan base.

This sounds decent in principle, but you also have to remember that skills aren't directly transferable to new titles. Most pros do adapt well, but some just aren't as good at new titles as they were at old ones. If I'm a top pro now, why invest into a community that probably won't root for me if I'm not winning, when I can cash in on my elite status now? Especially in a profession with a very short shelf life in terms of profitability. A previous poster nailed it, we shouldn't expect the content, but really should appreciate the ones who do put it out, because the ones who do, clearly enjoy doing it, and even if they make some money from it, are definitely not doing it for the money.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Maybe it's just me, but the viewership that "high quality" content brings in is negligible when compared to some generic, live commentary videos. The YouTube grind can get very frustrating sometimes, even for the most passionate and dedicated content creators.

I don't know, maybe I'm a little bitter. I can spend several hours working on Rewind and making sure it's absolutely perfect, just to end up seeing it perform poorly and barely shared within the community. At the same time, some clickbait content pulls in 100k. Shit, maybe I'm doing the wrong content for views, but I wouldn't enjoy doing anything else besides the educational content like Quick Tips and Beyond Rewind.

The Halo community keeps asking for content, but barely tune in. I'm sure there are plenty of pros that want start creating content, but there are tons of channels with Halo fans that work their asses off and barely pull in 50 views on each video.

I think its more the Team Beyond community asks for content and tunes in, but r/halo and other places don't really tune in. This has been beat to death, but look at what is hot right now on r/halo. Is it the :fire: mixtape I dropped? Nope, its someone getting rekt by the Warden Eternal. 

We all love your content, it was even featured on the Halo 5: Pro league stream, but the audience isn't really there yet. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yea I don't do them consistently because I don't like people paying to get a rank up if that makes any sense. 

This is why CLG is my favourite team. The implied integrity there is fantastic.

Maybe it's just me, but the viewership that "high quality" content brings in is negligible when compared to some generic, live commentary videos. The YouTube grind can get very frustrating sometimes, even for the most passionate and dedicated content creators.

The worst thing is that I spend hours and hours and hours making my videos and whilst I get reasonable views, YouTube now focuses on Watch Time over views, which really hurts channels like mine because making a 5 minute battle scene is rough, but a 10 minute one is going to be really hard.

Whilst I'd love to watch 10 minutes of Beyond Rewind, I can imagine that being a hair-pulling grind to complete.

• Upvote (+1) 4

The Halo community keeps asking for content, but barely tune in. I'm sure there are plenty of pros that want start creating content, but there are tons of channels with Halo fans that work their asses off and barely pull in 50 views on each video.

making the video is half the battle

halo content creators don't utilize social media well

• Upvote (+1) 2

I just want to watch some halo stuff man, I love the game, I love the pros, I love the community. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

I think its more the Team Beyond community asks for content and tunes in, but r/halo and other places don't really tune in. This has been beat to death, but look at what is hot right now on r/halo. Is it the :fire: mixtape I dropped? Nope, its someone getting rekt by the Warden Eternal. 

We all love your content, it was even featured on the Halo 5: Pro league stream, but the audience isn't really there yet. 

Oh the Reddit cycle.

1. Friend links you something on Reddit, have a great laugh.

2. Wonder if anything else is as good on the website.

3. Unable to find something that fills the void that last laugh gave you.

4. Have read 70 threads, two hours have been wasted.

5. Finally find something funny again.

6. Repeat.

It's a weird community. I generally avoid it as it has I get this weird "proud of procrastination" vibe from it. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think its more the Team Beyond community asks for content and tunes in, but r/halo and other places don't really tune in.

I dunno, man. The Team Beyond community is a lot bigger than most people realize.

I've made 337 videos since I started doing YouTube back in 2012. During Halo 4, I was able to easily pull in 50k to 250k views on my tip videos. Today, I can't watch them because they are so bad. I've been working with Halo 5 for several months and I don't think a single video has went past 11k. It definitely is frustrating to say the least.

This has been beat to death, but look at what is hot right now on r/halo. Is it the fire mixtape I dropped? Nope, its someone getting rekt by the Warden Eternal. 

I've learned to accept that r/halo is just a different kind of crowd. A lot of people like to shit on that community, but for what it's worth, it's a great place to go for little bite-sized pieces of content. I go there often and truly enjoy it, but I agree with what you're saying. My soul is absolutely crushed into oblivion when good content gets downvoted instantly but a picture of cortana made out of limited edition doritos gets thousands of upvotes.

Whilst I'd love to watch 10 minutes of Beyond Rewind, I can imagine that being a hair-pulling grind to complete.

I mean, I could honestly make a 10 minute+ version of rewind where I go over an entire series in chronological order, but once again, it would suck to put that much time into something and walk away with 800 views. When I heard about the new watch time thing, I was pretty upset because as of late, I've been deliberately trying to make my videos shorter. Short, sweet, and to the point, ya know? I spend more time working on the script than anything else.

Also, retention > watch time. youtube pls

• Upvote (+1) 4

Also, retention > watch time. youtube pls

Absolutely. It should be percentage based. If you have a 5 minute video, and people watch and average of 80%, that's really good. If you have a 40 minute video and people only watch 10% that's really poor. It's the same amount of time (4 minutes) but the viewer retention is much better.

That system would work really well for animators and actual content creators.

These people that upload vlogs/gameplay get like 20 minutes of footage from 20 minutes of effort and it blows that I put in 10+ hours for like 4 minutes and I'm less valuable to YouTube.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't think I saw anyone bring this up, but Flamesword said in his new video that he will be competing in season 2

Twist!

OpTic Gaming second team confirmed: Naded, Flamesword, Stellur and Suspector.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@RyaNoob I watched this whole thing and enjoyed it a lot and learned a lot actually.  Anyone who plays at an onyx level or higher and wants to improve and understand more, i would recommend checking these videos ryan is putting out.  Idk how relevant they are to lower ranks, maybe they would help but as far as higher level gameplay breakdown this is the best thing in the entire community for that right now that i can think of

• Upvote (+1) 7

I don't think I saw anyone bring this up, but Flamesword said in his new video that he will be competing in season 2

I thought he retired? Wow. I wonder who the OpTic coach will be...

Absolutely. It should be percentage based. If you have a 5 minute video, and people watch and average of 80%, that's really good. If you have a 40 minute video and people only watch 10% that's really poor. It's the same amount of time (4 minutes) but the viewer retention is much better.

That system would work really well for animators and actual content creators.

These people that upload vlogs/gameplay get like 20 minutes of footage from 20 minutes of effort and it blows that I put in 10+ hours for like 4 minutes and I'm less valuable to YouTube.

It really sucks. You can make a HQ video that's 5 or 6 minutes, and make less money than someone who makes a 10 + minute video that might not get a lot of retention, but at least its longer!

I dunno, man. The Team Beyond community is a lot bigger than most people realize.

I've made 337 videos since I started doing YouTube back in 2012. During Halo 4, I was able to easily pull in 50k to 250k views on my tip videos. Today, I can't watch them because they are so bad. I've been working with Halo 5 for several months and I don't think a single video has went past 11k. It definitely is frustrating to say the least.

I've learned to accept that r/halo is just a different kind of crowd. A lot of people like to shit on that community, but for what it's worth, it's a great place to go for little bite-sized pieces of content. I go there often and truly enjoy it, but I agree with what you're saying. My soul is absolutely crushed into oblivion when good content gets downvoted instantly but a picture of cortana made out of limited edition doritos gets thousands of upvotes.

I see the amount of community Team Beyond has in active posters and lurkers. For example my teaser of the Ola trailer did really well because of TB and the Beyond community happens to be pretty dedicated. I just don't see it supporting say 20K views on its own tbh. 

I can definitely understand it being frustrating. I've made 112~ videos since 2011 and have only garnered 40K views and 111 subs. As I look back, quite a few weren't good, but in recent times I've seen growth and have dedicated myself to the grind again. 

YouTube has changed over the years. I guess its all about adapting, but I wouldn't know how. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

No. That's a bit of revisionist history. The demise of Halo started with the H3 not being as good as H2 (no knock to H3) and CoD 4 being probably the best CoD game to ever come out.

You could argue that gameplay wise Halo 2 was better, but Halo 3's popularity was massive and it stayed massive for its lifetime. Halo Reach is when the demise came.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

NV has look really rough in this Liquid scrim

Mikwen literally woke up right before game 1 started.

Looks like they're warming up now.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Does anyone happen to know the story behind Ola's gamertag I've always it found kinda weird? 

Anime Hunter x Hunter

Pistola = Ola

Ola x Hunter

Surround with capital Z's.

• Upvote (+1) 2