CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I feel like it had already been confirmed but someone started talking about it regarding worlds 2017 and maybe people got confused and then it turned into a fire that fed itself for several pages.

There is also not a hell of a lot of other news at the moment and we must argue about something!

There is also not a hell of a lot of other news at the moment and we must argue about something!

remember the great rental debate? so lifechanging.

• Upvote (+1) 1

"Group of Death"  

you basically make the argument right there.  If there is one group that has more higher quality teams than other groups, one of those teams is not going to get to the next round behind a clearly lesser team from another group.  

A "Group of Death" isn't a good thing, it isn't just "oh well, that's unfortunate".  It's completely unnecessary.  a group like that just prematurely ejects a top-tier team from competition and is the perfect example why double-elimination is better.

Double elimination allows the highest-quality competition to make it to the final stages and give us the best matches when viewership is the highest.

I guess we should tell FIFA to get rid of groups for the world cup and just do an open style double elim tournament  :intensifies:

If you don't want a group of death, then you're saying group pool play should literally never be used for any sport because it doesn't "allow for the highest-quality competition."

• Upvote (+1) 2

After Finals I would love to see an all star match most likely online for charity red vs blue , 1 player from each team from the pro league season. Red would be 1, 3, 5, 7 (CLG, NV, EG, Liquid) and Blue would be 2, 4, 6, 8 (E6, Renegades, Allegiance, Optic)

Something like this:

Red

----------

Snakebite

MIkwen

Snipedown

Spartan

Coach: Elumnite

Blue

----------

Huke

Ninja

Heinz

Ace

Coach: Showtime

@Tashi343i :) You can make it happen

Red Team OP.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I guess we should tell FIFA to get rid of groups for the world cup and just do an open style double elim tournament  :intensifies:

If you don't want a group of death, then you're saying group pool play should literally never be used for any sport because it doesn't "allow for the highest-quality competition."

Ideally, no it wouldn't.  The difference is a single game of Soccer, Football, Basketball etc etc etc takes at least 2 to 3 hours and is very hard on the player's bodies. To ask them to play a series against every team in  double elimination bracket isn't feasable.  Pool play and/or single elim is the best realistic alternative.

In Halo, you can play an entire series in an hour, not just one match.  The game is also not hard on your body so you don't need physical recovery time before going into the next series and can play multiple series in a single day.

You can't compare Halo to other traditional sports in that way.

• Upvote (+1) 7

After Finals I would love to see an all star match most likely online for charity red vs blue , 1 player from each team from the pro league season. Red would be 1, 3, 5, 7 (CLG, NV, EG, Liquid) and Blue would be 2, 4, 6, 8 (E6, Renegades, Allegiance, Optic)

Something like this:

Red

----------

Snakebite

MIkwen

Snipedown

Spartan

Coach: Elumnite

Blue

----------

Huke

Ninja

Heinz

Ace

Coach: Showtime

@@Tashi343i :) You can make it happen

@@Tashi

Edit: sorry, didnt see Tashi in purple in the OP.

But yeah this would be cool.  Red looks OP on paper, but its just a conceptual list of players anyway.

@@Tashi

Edit: sorry, didnt see Tashi in purple in the OP.

But yeah this would be cool.  Red looks OP on paper, but its just a conceptual list of players anyway.

its all good, it just an example it could be done any number of ways. I just think it would be best to include all 8 teams 1 player each for their fans and for the players

• Upvote (+1) 1

For anybody attending NA finals, your pass gets you a free day access to KCON.

On Saturday the 30th there is a panel discussion at 11am focused around esports and pro gaming with attention on halo.

CHAMPIONS OF ESPORTS: HALO

Saturday, July 30, 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
Panel - 152

Esports is the sport of the 21st century. The esports economy is projected to grow to $1.1 billion in revenue by 2019 and entertain an audience of 345 million worldwide. South Korea has been a leading force in the expansion and legitimization of professional gaming and as the industry continues to expand in new ways, more opportunities are opening up across the board. In conjunction with the North American Halo Championship Series: Pro League Summer Season Finals, a panel of industry experts and esports veterans will give an inside look at the growth of pro gaming.

Full Schedule if you're interested in anything else.

http://www.kconusa.com/kcon-la-schedule/?al2_page=index&al2_parentHost=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kconusa.com&al2_date=2016/07/29

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think spectator mode being buggy is the main reason I don't like watching pro league as much as LAN tournaments. It makes it hard to admire how good some of the pros aim is, when the aimer is no where near the target, and it all looks slow and awkward. 

If they fix that for season 2, I will be way more happy!

• Upvote (+1) 6

Ideally, no it wouldn't.  The difference is a single game of Soccer, Football, Basketball etc etc etc takes at least 2 to 3 hours and is very hard on the player's bodies. To ask them to play a series against every team in  double elimination bracket isn't feasable.  Pool play and/or single elim is the best realistic alternative.

In Halo, you can play an entire series in an hour, not just one match.  The game is also not hard on your body so you don't need physical recovery time before going into the next series and can play multiple series in a single day.

You can't compare Halo to other traditional sports in that way.

You actually could do a double elimination easily in other sports if you just play one game and space the games out like how they schedule the pool play and then the bracket after pool play. It just wouldn't be the best way to play it, which is why pool play exists for other sports and for halo now.

Yeah this is why I was confused. Double elim for Finals had already been confirmed and we've had double elim for every event after Worlds.

Then we have people bashing ESL and 343 calling them incompetent for still using single elim...when they aren't.

• Upvote (+1) 9

How can you argue EG was the 2nd best team at worlds if they lost to RNG? Single elim sucks but stop giving EG excuses. Im not saying Allegiance was the 2nd best team at worlds, but you also can't say EG was if they lost to rng. Then later on we beat rng lol. All we can say is that it was CLG's event to win no matter who they played in finals.

Not sure who is arguing that EG was second best? They most certainly were not. Just not "5-8th" and only one example.

I think it would have been better to see liquid, denial, elevate, EG, rng, epsilon and you slug it out in a losers bracket and give CLG the survivor of that bloodbath.

it would also help delineate teams and give us actual rankings instead of forcing us to make assumptions and certainly would have an effect on rostermania too.

• Upvote (+1) 2

it would also help delineate teams and give us actual rankings

So, like a pro league season?

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think single elimination is more competitive, more cut throat, nobody wants to lose the series or they are done and they know it, like the NBA Playoffs.

The only pros I see for double elimination are:

1. Give "bracket F'd" teams a chance to redeem themselves

2. Create storylines around these "bracket F'd" teams

3. More matches on stream

Doesn't seem like a huge deal to me personally to do single elimination. The best team should win no matter who they are facing yeah?

I agree for the most part, but double elim is necessary in our current LAN-starved state. And yeah, the best team should win regardless of the format... but the rest of the teams get paid based on their placements too and single elim is not so good at accurately ranking everyone that isn't #1.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yeah this is why I was confused. Double elim for Finals had already been confirmed and we've had double elim for every event after Worlds.

Then we have people bashing ESL and 343 calling them incompetent for still using single elim...when they aren't.

Right.  I guess its more of a philosophical discussion about past failings then?  

well shit i better knock that off.

lol not necessarily just an example, Contra is amazing.

Yeah i have been watching him play a lot lately and i think he might have one of the best shots in the game right now.  Dude's a beast.  I still wish we had seen what that old Denial squad could have done if they stayed together.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I remember a gym period ping-pong tournament using a double elim format back in high school.

I'd have trouble believing "accessibility" would be an issue. It is still easy to explain to someone who doesn't know.

And another point...

Do you guys think the "better" team is always so clear cut that a loser's bracket team would have no chance of progressing past a team they were beaten by? We've all seen enough replay turn-arounds to know the answer to that.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just embrace it. The Halo community likes to argue and complain when there is NOTHING (in regard to the bracket style) to complain about anymore.

It's kinda funny really.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

LAN

So you think a LAN, where it's possible some teams will never match up, is a better way to rank teams than a double round robin where teams play each other twice?  :wutface:

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1