CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I mean they have sort of been in a LAN environment, all at the team house for the past couple of weeks for matches

Not really the same, IMO. 

This implies the other team isn't in the comfort of their own home in their comfort zones/little spaces. The point of the LAN is the atmosphere. You show up in front of the crowd and see how players handle the atmosphere and pressure (plus we're missing private servers).

• Upvote (+1) 1

I mean they have sort of been in a LAN environment, all at the team house for the past couple of weeks for matches

Does not account for atmosphere and a server AT the location.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Expand the league to 10 teams next season, every team goes to LAN but only top 6 compete for Finals, with top 2 getting byes. Bottom 4 play each other round Robin and the top 2 there are advanced into the next season of Pro League. Bottom 2 play Relegation vs top 2 am teams.

Holy shit I'm not even sure you could do this whole event in one weekend LOL. It sounds nice in theory though

• Upvote (+1) 1

Holy shit I'm not even sure you could do this whole event in one weekend LOL. It's sounds nice in theory though

If you did the round Robin and relegation matches on Friday it would work. Then a double elim finals bracket bo7 would round out the weekend rather well.

If you did the round Robin and relegation matches on Friday it would work. Then a double elim finals bracket bo7 would round out the weekend rather well.

Yeah I'm taking into account ESL's questionable production in a live tournament environment. They're pretty well known for their extended delays during LoL events. 

And for the record I think that LAN you suggested would be awesome. I just have very little faith in ESL to pull it off.

Nice to see him be up front. IMO though he should've said this to them in private weeks ago. We aren't the ones he's hurt, they are. Maybe he has already.

Hopefully he can keep growing and learning from this.

• Upvote (+1) 1

After seeing teams get absolutely annihilated this season I actually think an 8 team pro league is totally fine. 10 teams would just add 2 more teams that win 1, maybe 2 matches the whole season.

In place of 2 extra teams, I'd like to see some Open LANs. ;)

• Upvote (+1) 7

After seeing teams get absolutely annihilated this season I actually think an 8 team pro league is totally fine. 10 teams would just add 2 more teams that win 1, maybe 2 matches the whole season.

I still highly disagree.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I agree that not sending 6/8 teams to LAN is the right choice. If people wanted that, they might as well have just skipped the pro league season altogether and held the finals.

Only 12/32 teams make the NFL playoffs. The others just go home to lick their wounds and work on the offseason to come back stronger the following season.

In the NALCS for League, the 1st and 2nd seed get a first round bye. 3-6 seeds play in the quarterfinals, 7th requalifies for the LCS but misses playoffs, and 8-10 play promotion/relegation. It's pretty standard across all competitive leagues that teams/players just flat out miss the postseason and have nothing to show for their season. Being auto-qualified for the next season is reward enough for a middle of the pack team.

But we ARE sending 6/8 teams to LAN. 4 to finals, and 2 to relegation....

Having just 2/8 teams sitting at home just seems awkward.

Also, with current setup, there is very little benefit to having the 1st/2nd seed. That's why I suggested a wildcard round. 1) the top two teams would benefit from having the shorter trip to the final round. They'd also still have a guarunteed top 4 finish 2) the 3rd and 4th place teams would be granted a 1 series advantage over the 5th and 6th as a reward for finishing higher. 3) there'd be a slight opportunity for a Cinderella story like my 2012 Ravens... Which would be great for storylines. The drama of a 5/6 place team potentially winning two series in a row to steal a top4 finish would be hype!

I'd be all for teams just flat missing out... If there were more teams in the league.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You can tell he's been through a lot in his life. That brief time I was teaming with him in Halo 3, he wasn't 100% healthy at the time, but he was still dedicated to the team and was always nice to me. I'm not going to pretend that I know how he's been feeling the past couple months so all I will say is that I hope rebounds next season with whoever he decides to team with.

• Upvote (+1) 4

In place of 2 extra teams, I'd like to see some Open LANs. ;)

Definitely agree with you. The LCS added 2 teams a few seasons ago and the bottom two teams are always terrible and there's no point watching their matches.

I disagree with having the 5th/6th teams added into a tournament with 7th/8th to decide who goes to relegation. 

Because you've now punished the 5th/6th by making them possibly go into relegation. When you look at the records: 1-11 and 2-10, and then 5-7, 5-7; that seems really silly to punish the 5th/6th teams like that.

I think the Double-Elim bracket with having 5th/6th being automatically in loser's is a much better idea.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I want this for Halo. More teams = more interest = more sponsors = more matches = more halo (= more chances for EG to lose :'( )

Cmz1uyZVIAA07_K.jpg

I think the Double-Elim bracket with having 5th/6th being automatically in loser's is a much better idea.

While I like both ideas, I can see why this is a better option. 

I think EG and ALG could have easily made a losers bracket run and maybe topped nV, E6, or RNG. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

So for EG to make it

CLG needs to throw

E6 needs to stomp RNG

Liquid needs to harness the fire and beat RNG

SO YOU'RE SAYING THERE'S A CHANCE

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Wait, so its better to be in 7th 8th at the end than it is to be in 5th and 6th when all games are completed?

Wait, so its better to be in 7th 8th at the end than it is to be in 5th and 6th when all games are completed?

No 5th and 6th are safe til next season. 7th and 8th might not be back.

That said, 7th 8th and 2 AM teams Will be playing on LAN in front of 2,000 live attendees, and 10's of thousands of online viewers, while 6th and 7th will be at home...

It's just weird.

They need to get the 6th and 7th teams into the tourney, but have them at a strong disadvantage.

No... how are you figuring that? 7th/8th have to play relegation matches against the top open teams in order to secure a spot in the pro league next season. 5th/6th already have it locked up.

No... how are you figuring that? 7th/8th have to play relegation matches against the top open teams in order to secure a spot in the pro league next season. 5th/6th already have it locked up.

Would be less money too I think for 7/8.

I want this for Halo. More teams = more interest = more sponsors = more matches = more halo (= more chances for EG to lose :'( )

You forgot more garbage teams like Optic and Liquid  :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 1

No 5th and 6th are safe til next season. 7th and 8th might not be back.

That said, 7th 8th and 2 AM teams Will be playing on LAN in front of 2,000 live attendees, and 10's of thousands of online viewers, while 6th and 7th will be at home...

It's just weird.

They need to get the 6th and 7th teams into the tourney, but have them at a strong disadvantage.

Makes more sense than what I had in my head. Thought with all the talk about the LAN with AM teams made it sound like it was better to be in 7th 8th in terms of winning money.