CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I think you're kind of doing a disservice to them by STILL using the "they had vacation and jobs and couldn't grind" excuse. Sure, jobs may have had a bit of an effect, but those core 3 are some of the most competitive and determined dudes in the game and they did put in the work. RNG also had time off and one player fasting and they'll probably make top 4.

Maybe it's time to stop making excuses and realise that it's (just as lunchbox said) they simply haven't been meshing well lately.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

A good career > Halo, IMO.

Simply not relevant when it comes to succeeding in the pro league 

We are absolutely not a top 3 team, our map count vs the top 4 teams is abysmal, 2-12 vs E6/nV regardless of how close some were, 0-3 to CLG, and a solid 4-3 vs renegades. That 4th spot was a toss up between ALG RNG and us, which could have gone any way. Please stop making excuses for us, we don't deserve it

Best of luck moving forward dude. I know it's been a tough season but i know you'll make the best decision

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think you're kind of doing a disservice to them by STILL using the "they had vacation and jobs and couldn't grind" excuse. Sure, jobs may have had a bit of an effect, but those core 3 are some of the most competitive and determined dudes in the game and they did put in the work. RNG also had time off and one player fasting and they'll probably make top 4.

Maybe it's time to stop making excuses and realise that it's (just as lunchbox said) they simply haven't been meshing well lately.

Absolutely. But, IMO, regardless of what whoever says what, those vacations were poorly timed and cost them some important matches that, without them, would have gotten them in the top 4, IMO.

Simply not relevant when it comes to succeeding in the pro league 

Best of luck moving forward dude. I know it's been a tough season but i know you'll make the best decision

How the HELL is waking up early everyday for a career not relevant when playing against players who's full time job is Halo?

How does that NOT affect competition? lol...

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Q: Is Hecz actually on your case all the time or is it just a thing for his vlogs?

A: Definitely more for the vlogs then and entertainment. 

This is actually a little disappointing. We all know how awesome Hecz is, but he needs to be a little less Good Guy Hecz and try to whip this team into shape or just wipe the slate clean.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

How the HELL is waking up early everyday for a career not relevant when playing against players who's full time job is Halo?

How does that NOT affect competition? lol...

Well you stated that  it is better to have a "good career > halo". It's really not up to me to judge where any players should place their priorities, which i am not doing at all, but you have to understand that when you are playing in the pro league there shouldn't be any outside factors (jobs, family, etc.) brought in. If the pro players aren't making excuses to their performances then i don't think fans should either

• Upvote (+1) 4

Well you stated that  it is better to have a "good career > halo". It's really not up to me to judge where any players should place their priorities, which i am not doing at all, but you have to understand that when you are playing in the pro league there shouldn't be any outside factors (jobs, family, etc.) brought in. If the pro players aren't making excuses to their performances then i don't think fans should either

I agree, which is why I thought maybe it was best for Roy and Lunch to move on since it's going to be incredibly difficult to compete against people who can play all day everyday. Not because I think they suck or they're the problem, you know?

It's just simple math. They can't play as much. Which is sad because they're clearly very good, it's just hard for consistency. 

Also, it's obvious why players don't outright make excuses to their fans. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Q: Is Hecz actually on your case all the time or is it just a thing for his vlogs?

A: Definitely more for the vlogs then and entertainment.

This is actually a little disappointing. We all know how awesome Hecz is, but he needs to be a little less Good Guy Hecz and try to whip this team into shape or just wipe the slate clean.

I'd also be a little annoyed at maniac saying that if I were hecz

Okay, so as someone who has never played Halo anywhere close to the top level (I finally made Diamond this month!) I was wondering;

Is OpTic putting quantity of practice over quality?

To elaborate;

Maniac has recently claimed to be playing as many as 15 hours of Halo at a time, grinding in Arena. I can see why this helps in theory (the more you play the maps and such, the more comfortable you become with them.) 

To someone from the outside looking in, this seems counterproductive though. Surely a 4 to 5 hour stint, where you're fully focused and attempting to learn is better? Obviously scrims are the best form of practice, but I was wondering if I was missing something about top level gameplay.

I guess it also kind of applies to Ninja - a lot of people here seem to have said he'd probably be better if he played more Halo instead of H1Z1, but does quantity really help that much?

• Upvote (+1) 3

Okay, so as someone who has never played Halo anywhere close to the top level (I finally made Diamond this month!) I was wondering;

To elaborate;

Maniac has recently claimed to be playing as many as 15 hours of Halo at a time, grinding in Arena. I can see why this helps in theory (the more you play the maps and such, the more comfortable you become with them.)

To someone from the outside looking in, this seems counterproductive though. Surely a 4 to 5 hour stint, where you're fully focused and attempting to learn is better? Obviously scrims are the best form of practice, but I was wondering if I was missing something about top level gameplay.

I guess it also kind of applies to Ninja - a lot of people here seem to have said he'd probably be better if he played more Halo instead of H1Z1, but does quantity really help that much?

Yup, this is pretty much the general consensus. OpTic grinds but they aren't actually practicing efficiently.

Yup, this is pretty much the general consensus. OpTic grinds but they aren't actually practicing efficiently.

To add on to this, here's Maniac's answer re: practice:

Q: How much do you practice?
A: 5 – 6 days a week, some days 12 hours… some days 4-6, it all depends. 

Clearly, either Maniac and squad just aren't that good or they don't take the time played very seriously.

CLG "practices" for only about 3 hours and it's always constructive. 
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I hate to insinuate anyone is lying but I just don't believe optic are playing as often as Maniac is suggesting.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

To elaborate;

I think players who have an extreme lack of individual skill in H5 like Maniac and APG benefit from grinding matchmaking.

If they change this up do you think it'd make a big difference? Genuinely interested as to how much practice matters.

I think players who have an extreme lack of individual skill in H5 like Maniac and APG benefit from grinding matchmaking.

So it's more for basic skills and developing them than competitive team play, you think?

Sorry for all the questions haha!

I don't see the current Optic really ever being a "top team"

Although, I'll admit, they showed some signs of greatness. A couple of plays either way and they could have beat E6 or RNG. 

Well you stated that it is better to have a "good career > halo". It's really not up to me to judge where any players should place their priorities, which i am not doing at all, but you have to understand that when you are playing in the pro league there shouldn't be any outside factors (jobs, family, etc.) brought in. If the pro players aren't making excuses to their performances then i don't think fans should either

To add to this. it Has nothing to do with having a career or the time
  • Downvote (-1) 1

To add to this. it Has nothing to do with having a career or the time

True, since you've played almost every wakened second and are still pulling a 0.8 stuck to Hukes back.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't think they do. The level in matchmaking is pretty low tbh. People don't callout or go full tryhard like they did in H3 or H2 mm. This lackadaisical approach toward mm can breed bad habits if you're a pro player.

I think grinding 8s with people is much more efficient for your individual skill than mm. Sure it's harder to setup, but if you're a pro you should have no problem getting top AM and other pros into the lobby. 8s is super tryhard not only because you can put money on it, but because you're trying to shit on your friends and there's always some friendly trash talk that goes down.

Because the alternative is two people sitting around doing nothing.

And?

That's how a league works...

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So it's more for basic skills and developing them than competitive team play, you think?

Sorry for all the questions haha!

That's what grinding matchmaking/running pro 8s is for, and I think one area in which Maniac screwed up was not doing enough of that in the first few months of Halo 5. That's why it seems he is so behind top players on an individual level, and is also probably why he feels the need to play so much now.

In the end though, scrimming with your team is what matters the most. However, sometimes a team just doesn't work or, well, just isn't good enough. I remember Maniac and Lethul talking once about how in Halo 5, it is so much more important to be able to win your own individual battles than it was in previous Halo games. So when you have a team like Optic whose best slayer is probably Ace, who isn't "beastly" by any means himself, it's hard for them to succeed. Teamwork is important but can only go so far when the players on your team can't win their solo battles. Not to mention APG who, although Maniac tried to defend him for the sake of friendship, he is a massive anchor right now.

The time Optic succeeded the most was with Naded, who had proven himself to be somewhat of a master at Halo 5, he just knows a lot about the game and it was able to rub off on the team. The current Optic squad is made of 4 players who haven't seen real success in H5, so they'll continue the same habits that they've been exhibiting for all of Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 4

And?

That's how a league works...

They should relegate them then. At least they would get to play at a big tournament then. Having them sit around is.. anti-climactic and pointless. Doesn't make any sense.

Please, because EG is the 5-6th team, we all of a sudden don't feel this way anymore? We were ALL complaining about the 5-6th team doing nothing in the beginning of the season when the format was announced.

Interesting how that sentiment's changed.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Or that Roy and lunchbox are just not as good at this version of halo as they were at the others.

They should relegate them then. At least they would get to play at a big tournament then. Having them sit around is.. anti-climactic and pointless. Doesn't make any sense.

Please, because EG is the 5-6th team, we all of a sudden don't feel this way anymore? We were ALL complaining about the 5-6th team doing nothing in the beginning of the season when the format was announced.

Interesting how that sentiment's changed.

The way the Beyond hive mind changes in accordance with what team is in a certain situation or with what pro voiced a certain opinion has always been fascinating to me.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Or that Roy and lunchbox are just not as good at this version of halo as they were at the others.

I disagree. If you ask Snakebite, he thinks Lunchbox is an incredible player, and Roy puts up good numbers.

You should watch Toweys latest video. It's not for lack of skill, it's just a meshing issue. 

The way the Beyond hive mind changes in accordance with what team is in a certain situation or with what pro voiced a certain opinion has always been fascinating to me.

Not to be that guy, but it almost always benefits RNG and fucks EG. I guess people were REALLY salty they dominated H2A. People just can't stand to see them win anymore. Guess they don't have to worry about that this season  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Considering we still have a league, would HCS Fall Pro League be fit for TV? I know Eleague exists and is on tbs, but CS:GO matches tend to be shorter than some of the matches we can see in HCS. 

I think Halo would get a lot more exposure if it was on weekly broadcast TV. 

• Downvote (-1) 2