CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Posted this earlier but I actually highly suggest this podcast over the HCS Listen In, they actually have differing opinions on subjects and go way more in depth with the players and have way more personality than Tashi and Strongside. 

or you know what? You could listen to both.

Shocking I know. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

maybe 343 does not have enough budget, maybe 343 just does not like MLG.

I genuinely think this is a move of exclusivity. Talks have clearly been going on behind closed doors, which MLG have (wrongly) been excluded from.

Now, this is where the logical aspect comes in:

343 wanted a pro league for weekly pro play on a consistent basis. Who are the well known brand for this? ESL.. ESL have done successful pro leagues in 10+ games, most notably CS:GO, which, I cant lie has been a massive success. Thats why 343 went with ESL. 343 have not had open LAN events in mind. They did not correctly conduct their market research (which is poor) and did therefore NOT expect there to be a backlash of Open LANs. Yes, they knew a lack of LANs was a problem in CoD, but Halo has had plenty on the "closed" side of things.

But no Opens. I genuinely think 343 were not expected to promote Open LANs, and this is evident as there have been 0. 

This is why MLG were not contacted. Maybe now, we might have a spark.

I want to start a 2 person Beyond HCS Podcast.

I am Skip Bayless, who is my Stephen A.?

• Upvote (+1) 3

I really don't get why you guys are blowing up e6 after this season. They're arguably the 2nd best team, they are apparently happy with org support and while Cratos seems to have a little trouble with run-on paragraphs he seems to be a great "locker room guy". Huke and Bubu also seem to play well at LAN, Shooter seems to be coming into his own. E6 seems like one of the least likely teams to be touched in rostermania.

spot on. I could see them making room for Suspector or Snipedown but they won't break up.

This org seems to be a golden goose just like Optic - just with different perks.

Because commonly bitches all the time.

This has been a recurring issue with Ninjas squads. Why am I going to assume the problem lies with Commonly? I don't think it's all Ninjas fault, commonly certainly isn't blameless, but there's definitely an underlying issue not addressed yet.

and while Cratos seems to have a little trouble with run-on paragraphs he seems to be a great "locker room guy". 

lol

• Downvote (-1) 5

I'd love to shoot off some of my :fire: takes, pontificate and generally filibuster, but theyre probably community members that have been around longer/have more clout.

He's improved skill wise, still has some mental game issues though. Commonly and him go at it all the time.

I wish they'd do it after scrimming and off stream. Write down on a notepad points of discussion and review what they need to. No way is it beneficial to do it in between games when you should be getting ready for the next map.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Another admirable sports figure but nope.

wasn't 08 the season the Lions went 0-16

:kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

This has been a recurring issue with Ninjas squads. Why am I going to assume the problem lies with Commonly? I don't think it's all Ninjas fault, commonly certainly isn't blameless, but there's definitely an underlying issue not addressed yet.

The parallels of Ninja and Spartan continue! Really tho, telling you, A-type personalities. Each believe their choice is best in a lot of cases. Ninja isn't afraid to speak his mind so sometimes after a game he will talk and will get no response from his team. Other times he be #theproblem and get a new one tore.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Trivia for today....Mikwen's emblem is the number 8 ..... A famous athlete wore that number and is now retired in the Hall of Fame...who?

You can't phrase the question as if there is only one famous athlete who wore the number 8 and is in the HOF lol

Yogi Berra and Cal Ripken Jr. were both great guesses and can't be "wrong". Maybe it's not the athlete you're thinking of, but you need to state in the question that there are several number 8s in the HOF, "can you guess the one that I am thinking of?"

My guess is Steve Young. Please don't tell me it's Kobe, who isn't in the HOF yet and only wore 8 for half of his career.

Edit: damn, someone guessed it 5 min before me

• Upvote (+1) 1

W0uld

Great post

The wierd thing is, the current format isn't even "good for ESL". That's why I have a hard time looking at is a matter of holding their competition (MLG) at bay.

Yes, ESL has control over the prized commodity (The Pros) but they aren't doing anything to leverage this strength. Having MLG run HCS opens, would only bring additional viewers and $ into the HCS scene, which would help ESL in the long run.

But if they REALLY wanted to leverage their control over Pros, they'd run HCS opens on their own... What's the point in having an exclusive if your arent maximizing its potential? The fact that they aren't doing HCS opens with pros, and don't even SEE THE VALUE in doing this, tells me that this is less a matter of corporate greed, and more an issue of having a flawed philosophy to begin with.

To me it looks like ESL weighed the amount of time, effort, and revenue required to host an open event, and decided it was not worth it. Which is fine, let another operator who thinks it IS worth it run it. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'd love to see h1summer do it with you  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Man going to team beyond on mobile is awful. Not sure if anyone else gets it but it will sometimes redirect me to adware sites. Doesn't matter what browser :/.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Man going to team beyond on mobile is awful. Not sure if anyone else gets it but it will sometimes redirect me to adware sites. Doesn't matter what browser :/.

Doesn't happen for me.

To me it looks like ESL weighed the amount of time, effort, and revenue required to host an open event, and decided it was not worth it. Which is fine, let another operator who thinks it IS worth it run it. 

Of course, the point of open events (especially in CoD and Halo) is not to gain profit, it's to grow the community in the form of players and viewers. Only the big dogs like CS and LoL actually gain profit from LANs

Doesn't happen for me.

I've seen since people complain about it before, doesn't happen all that often, last week it didn't Happen at all. Just been happening sporadically today for me.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

snip

Saucey, really nice post and great diagnosis of the current state of competitive halo.

I agree that the more parties involved in halo, the better so I'd like to throw out one improvement/solution for discussion.  But first let me summarize part of the problem.

The problem with running an open event for Pro/Ams alike in the midst of the Pro League season is that official HCS matters take up nearly the entire week.

Tuesday - Vetoes

Thursday - Pro League

Friday - Pro League

Saturday - Open Cup

Sunday - Legendary Bracket

Monday and Wednesday are all that remains.  This doesn't leave any usable days for a second tournament organizer to run a successful event.  So to actually have an event, the TO would have to arrange for a non HCS open in between or after pro seasons where the audience and players are potentially taking a hype break  until the ramp up to the next sanctioned event.  Very high risk for any TO.

At the moment there are no breaks in the Pro League, just seven straight weeks of matches, preceded by a series of live and online qualifying tournaments since late april (this season) and followed by the finals and relegation two weeks after.  Essentially there's no breathing room during the season.

So here's the proposal.  343 creates one weekend/two week break period mid season to allow for a second TO to hold an open event.  This way both pros and ams alike get to compete and no viewership hype is lost because it still falls within the season.  You could think of it like All Star Weekend for MLB.  

Another thought is instead of just one of these tourneys, there are two break periods throughout the season that align with the roster changes.  Could allow for more than just a single outside TO, like back during H2A when Iron Games and UGC were both hosting tournaments.  And teams could use this period to test out new rosters.

Anyway just a thought on how to start involving more parties.  What do you guys think? I'm sure there are other things I'm not considering.

• Upvote (+1) 7

PM Myself or @@CyReN and we can have any spam links blocked.