CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Simply saying that the statement by Ryan was an accurate interpretation of Timo's post that he quoted, with an emote.

Interesting, thanks for clarifying. Glad you're doing well.

• Upvote (+1) 4

As an aside, does LAN work now with H5? I.e. no ping to the internet required at all?

No.

Even 343 / ESL run tournaments have to bring a server to connect to and use a private internal build.

• Upvote (+1) 1

As an aside, does LAN work now with H5? I.e. no ping to the internet required at all?

You would need a closed server from 343 I think. No actual LAN capabilities exist for xbox one.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The only question I'd like to ask is what benefit do we gain from any organizer being excluded from running HCS events. The kind that give points and are generally fully included within the event timeline etc. I can't find any benefit to the community in excluding anyone that wants to put on a big show and be a part of HCS. The short answer is that it doesn't do anything good for us. It does leave a backdoor for us to do something but anyone that wants to be and can be a part of it should be given full support and inclusion. 

Don't tell me how to live my life you're not even my real dad

i lol'd. 9.5/10 post dankness.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeaaa ESL/ @@Timo's posts are not clear at all, but I THINK he is saying that an open LAN can be hosted with EVERYONE as long as it does not take place during the pro league OR interfere with any HCS events.

Which is at least somewhat reasonable. At least compared to "pros can't compete at all"

• Upvote (+1) 1

Interesting, thanks for clarifying. Glad you're doing well.

Always on that grind. Had some good mentors along the way :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

All of this MLG/ESL drama has caused me to run out of my positive rep quota.

Oh well, neg for all it is then!

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yeaaa ESL/ @@Timo's posts are not clear at all, but I THINK he is saying that an open LAN can be hosted with EVERYONE as long as it does not take place during the pro league OR interfere with any HCS events.

Which is at least somewhat reasonable. At least compared to "pros can't compete at all"

If it does not have scheduling conflicts and it has no meaning to HCS, ie you get no points. Either a standalone tournament that's just a tournament or maybe their own league. However, the topic at hand is that one company says this, but the other says they were told to not run tournaments. This is what we should get to the bottom of but I'm sure whoever is in the wrong can just ignore it and we'll forget about it in 48 hours.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Always on that grind. Had some good mentors along the way :)

You're the man :) miss you at events, ESL is lucky to have you.

Hope to see you soon

• Upvote (+1) 7

If it does not have scheduling conflicts and it has no meaning to HCS, ie you get no points. Either a standalone tournament that's just a tournament or maybe their own league. However, the topic at hand is that one company says this, but the other says they were told to not run tournaments. This is what we should get to the bottom of but I'm sure whoever is in the wrong can just ignore it and we'll forget about it in 48 hours.

NO! We dont want to forget about it. The point behind this is having MLG hosting Halo Open LANs, which, lets be honest, is what we have all been dying for.

• Upvote (+1) 1

ESL is using a rule made for small scale, grassroots tournaments to allow them to run Halo events free from conflict with Microsoft, 343 Industries, and ESL themselves and applying it to MLG, who should be running live, open Halo events incorporated into the HCS and HWC to begin with.

ESL is trying to force a narrative right now of "oh, well MLG could totally be running amateur Halo tournaments with no pro players or open events with pro players that have nothing to do with the HCS or HWC or points but they're not because they're turning their backs on the Halo community again." 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 3

You're the man :) miss you at events, ESL is lucky to have you.

Hope to see you soon

The first vacation I scheduled in 3 years ended up being Anaheim weekend! 

• Upvote (+1) 3

ESL is using a rule made for small scale, grassroots tournaments to allow them to run Halo events free from conflict with Microsoft, 343 Industries, and ESL themselves and applying it to MLG, who should be running live, open Halo events incorporated into the HCS and HWC to begin with.

ESL is trying to force a narrative right now of "oh, well MLG could totally be running amateur Halo tournaments with no pro players or open events with pro players that have nothing to do with the HCS or HWC or points but they're not because they're turning their backs on the Halo community again." 

To be fair, we learned that it IS possible for MLG to host Halo Opens w/ Pro play, but the way we got to this point has been very shady on ESL's behalf. Theres NO clarity what so ever from Timo. But a thank you to him for posting tonight.

Huge shout to @ also, great to see you here.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If MLG hosts an open H5 event that is completely unrelated to HCS at let's say, MLG Orlando, will 343 help support them with private dev builds, will we be able to have SS and Elamite as casters? (Although I'm fine with Benson and Puckett). And will MLG have to come up with their own prize pool? Not having the 343 private servers immediately kills any chance of a quality LAN

To be fair, we learned that it IS possible for MLG to host Halo Opens w/ Pro play, but the way we got to this point has been very shady on ESL's behalf. Theres NO clarity what so ever from Timo. But a thank you to him for posting tonight.

Huge shout to @ also, great to see you here.

True, but my point was angling more towards why would MLG, one of the largest eSports entities in the world, want to run a tournament without involvement in the HCS and, in what world is that even a solid business idea given what we know about events and returns on investment? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

True, but my point was angling more towards why would MLG, one of the largest eSports entities in the world, want to run a tournament without involvement in the HCS and, it what world is that even a solid business idea given what we know about events and returns on investment? 

True. MLG and ESL should both have official HCS rights and it is a grave mistake to completely ignore MLG when negotiating a deal for Halo eSports.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If things were miscommunicated and we are allowed to operate independent events that is an important clarification. However, not having our event be part of the PUBLISHER SUPPORTED activity would be insane and would make our events have no importance in the overall narrative. Why wouldn't you want MLG operating the biggest and best open events for Halo5 that helps create a funnel for the official activity? It is additive. 

In any case, I've been hanging out on here too much today...back to work :)

Some very positive points being raised there. Hopefully we might see our first MLG Open in years and years soon! Cheers Adam

• Upvote (+1) 2

I have a solution.

We put an ESL skins pack and an MLG skins pack in the REQ store.

Whichever pack sells more gets the rights to run an HCS sanctioned, live, open bracket tournament with the dollar amount sold going towards the prize pool. 

lol! MLG would win on a ratio of about 4000:1

• Upvote (+1) 2

lol! MLG would win on a ratio of about 4000:1

Well if that's the case it seems like MLG should have had the rights to begin with... 

• Downvote (-1) 1