CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I'm confused. didn't Timo just say that they did not forbid Pro Players from attending tournaments? So if MLG wants to throw a LAN that doesn't have schedule conflicts and doesn't include hcs points etc, they can attend? All timo said was that players in the Pro League couldn't play in tournaments exclusively for the Open Circuit.

:)

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

A brief clarification.

No, we did not approve of Pro League players participating in LAN/online tournaments that were part of the HCS Open Circuit.

Yes, tournaments open to ANYONE outside of the context of HCS were on the table.

I understand that you may disagree with this approach, but just to get the facts straight. 

I'm confused. didn't Timo just say that they did not forbid Pro Players from attending tournaments? So if MLG wants to throw a LAN that doesn't have schedule conflicts and doesn't include hcs points etc, they can attend? All timo said was that players in the Pro League couldn't play in tournaments exclusively for the Open Circuit.

This is my exact understanding as well...

That LANs could've been put on that included both amateur and pro teams BUT under the pretense that they do not offer points or affect standings in the HCS.

• Upvote (+1) 1

:)

This is my exact understanding as well...

That LANs could've been put on that included both amateur and pro teams BUT under the pretense that they do not offer points or affect standings in the HCS.

Oh. 

So MLG could have ran open tourneys w/ pro players?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh. 

From reading through both Timo's and Mr MLG Adam's responses, my understanding is that if you wanted it to be an official HCS event, it would have to be in between seasons.

If you don't interfere with Pro League scheduling or affect the standings within the HCS - do whatever you want and allow anyone you want to compete.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Unfortunately ESL are not giving us ANSWERS. 

Thats all I want to know, is, if MLG threw an open between a season, or during an empty weekend in a season, would pro's be allowed to attend.

If no, then something is very fucked up here.

• Downvote (-1) 2

Oh.

Yes. If it didn't conflict with league and wasn't for HCS points.

My guess (and I have no idea if this is the case or not) is MLG wanted to host an open LAN for the open circuit HCS teams for points and ESL said ok but no pros if it's for points. MLG didn't want to host an event without the pros, and also didn't want to throw a "meaningless" tourney and that's where we are now. Again just my guess reading the back and forth here

Thats what I've been saying but you worded it so much better.

So that is tonight wrapped up then!

Tune in tomorrow for the next installment of MLG and Team Beyond vs ESL!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Mark, why the smiley face? 

This is not what we were told, we were told that pro players were off limits during HCS. 

Rules change overnight I guess.

• Downvote (-1) 1

This is not what we were told, we were told that pro players were off limits during HCS.

Sounds like either A: there was a massive miscommunication or B: ESL is in damage control mode and going back on what they said.

I hope it's A, but in either case it sounds like the possibility of MLG LANs is back on the table for Halo so.....we back?

• Upvote (+1) 3

Either ESL lied to MLG or they changed their rules about open tournaments and then didn't tell MLG about it. Either way scummy

• Upvote (+1) 5

That fucking sucks :/

• Upvote (+1) 3

Sounds like either A: there was a massive miscommunication or B: ESL is in damage control mode and going back on what they said.

I hope it's A, but in either case it sounds like the possibility of MLG LANs is back on the table for Halo so.....we back?

Please please PLEASE dont say 'We back' until we actually have an MLG lan on the table.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Either ESL lied to MLG or they changed their rules about open tournaments and then didn't tell MLG about it. Either way scummy

Or a simple misinterpretation of what was said.

Let's not just instantly toss someone under the bus.

I mean haven't we known that pros team are allowed to compete in Halo 5 LANs? At least one LAN has happened at eSports Arena?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Really hope ESL and MLG can come to some sort of agreement in terms of open lan events because it is crucial for the growth of Halo esports. The frustrating part of this lack of agreement is that if done right it stands to benefit everyone that has any stake in Halo esports being successful. Presumably, interest in the ESL run pro/challenger leagues would grow, MLG would have a chance to run a (hopefully) successful LAN event with good attendance and viewership, and 343 would get more attention for their game which could help increase/hold the games population, increase REQ purchases, increase interest in Halo 6 etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1

As an aside, does LAN work now with H5? I.e. no ping to the internet required at all?

• Upvote (+1) 2

I also feel like the REQ crowd funding is so under utilized. 

We could be having MLG Opens with nice prize pools w/ it. Crowd funded Pro League prize pools (which would possibly allow ESL/343 to salary pro league teams). 

Idk man.Feels like we could be doing so much more. 

We're fortunate enough to have MLG AND ESL interested in Halo. Why not go bigger? (Money, I know).

edit: @ No, LAN does not work. 

Simply saying that the statement by Ryan was an accurate interpretation of Timo's post that he quoted, with an emote.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Really hope ESL and MLG can come to some sort of agreement in terms of open lan events because it is crucial for the growth of Halo esports. The frustrating part of this lack of agreement is that if done right it stands to benefit everyone that has any stake in Halo esports being successful. Presumably, interest in the ESL run pro/challenger leagues would grow, MLG would have a chance to run a (hopefully) successful LAN event with good attendance and viewership, and 343 would get more attention for their game which could help increase/hold the games population, increase REQ purchases, increase interest in Halo 6 etc.

At this point, it would be best for MLG to wait until the release of Halo 6 to start Open LANs again. The community has been too dampened by no major Open's in the past 8 months.

Once Halo 6 releases, the interest will be stronger and we can build from there with the help of ESL AND MLG.

Sounds good right? Let's make this happen

x

hmm

Please please PLEASE dont say 'We back' until we actually have an MLG lan on the table.

Don't tell me how to live my life you're not even my real dad

• Upvote (+1) 2