CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Don't see it as an island. Sports have off seasons which end up being boring because nothing is happening. Having a big event between seasons would be something to look forward to. At least for me. 

Thats not the problem. The problem is it has to be an amateur only tournament.

Guys, can we plz stop the anger? ;-;

I'm sure MLG can reach a decision eventually. Conflict will not solve anything.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Also, for the sake of relevance, Halo isn't alone on this front. 

Here are a few screen grabs regarding MLG and ESL from a thread on r/GlobalOffensive a few months back... 

6970f6e54e273077b43590a421edc6fd.png

19a5e2e6055716b0bdbb77dea5636c76.png

9f0fb0b49cdc807b26702be396d1342a.png

79d03e8893c80831e681b88710cb3960.png

c04ee8b9724ac911af92f5fcaff8b29b.png

• Upvote (+1) 6

Thats not the problem. The problem is it has to be an amateur only tournament.

My understanding from the original post is that pros can participate as long as the LAN does not take place during the Pro League season. So MLG can still have LANs, they just can't be during the Pro league season

• Upvote (+1) 1

Remember most pros have the emotional intelligence of a 10 year old.

lol I won't debate that remark nor condone it, I just have to say....Dude have you seen the stream chats?

• Upvote (+1) 3

It's an island because the event would have no official implications.

It might not have implications on the HCS league standings, but Copa America or Olympic basketball (worse example) still pull huge ratings and make money and are assigned value by the fans. I'd care about the outcome, and I think most other halo fans would too. Obviously having a big open tournament that also had HCS implications would only help both HCS and the tournament unless the tournament was a disaster, but I trust MLG's ability to run a tournament.

Edit:I didn't read the pros would be BARRED. That's insanity.

Edit:edit: never mind. I stand by this post.

My understanding from the original post is that pros can participate as long as the LAN does not take place during the Pro League season. So MLG can still have LANs, they just can't be during the Pro league season

Without developer support. It wouldn't be a HCS event, and therefore wouldn't qualify as being a 'pro' event - No pro's or provided prize money.

Adam was just highlighting the fact that it is POSSIBLE to host Halo events, but at a crazy disadvantage and bad feasibility.

A brief clarification.

No, we did not approve of Pro League players participating in LAN/online tournaments that were part of the HCS Open Circuit.

Yes, tournaments open to ANYONE outside of the context of HCS were on the table.

I understand that you may disagree with this approach, but just to get the facts straight. 

A brief clarification.

No, we did not approve of Pro League players participating in LAN/online tournaments that were part of the HCS Open Circuit.

Yes, tournaments open to ANYONE outside of the context of HCS were on the table.

I understand that you may disagree with this approach, but just to get the facts straight. 

And this is what we are angry about. Pro Players should be allowed to compete outside of the damn HCS.

Ringfencing is bad in any sport.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Honestly i feel like there has been some miscommunication between esl and mlg. Sounds like MLG could run an open event with pros just not an HCS event. But somewhere along the way MLG thought they couldn't? Or am I missing something. I know Timo is here and some think he's "covering up" with lies or something but I think they (ESL and MLG) need to talk this over cuz someone missed something.

• Upvote (+1) 2

A brief clarification.

I can't get behind this, at all :/

What would be the harm? It would ONLY help you in the long run, especially Pro League viewership. 

I know after MLG threw that bomb ass CS major I started tuning into CS league matches on the regular. 

Perfect example. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm gathering that the "HCS open circuit" is like if snipedown joined what was french toast mafia to compete. That would not be ok. But tournaments outside of the HCS open to anyone like and MLG event would be ok. Am i missing something? Or just plain wrong?

• Upvote (+1) 2

A brief clarification.

This isn't good for anyone but ESL. Obviously this is going to be an extremely unpopular stance that you guys are taking.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@FrankTheShow You def. swayed me in this argument with that post (well besides some of your naughty language :P). I can't get behind pro players being unable to play in open tournaments. I cannot think of a single reason it would be a bad thing for Halo/ESL/Pro League. 

Getting slight WESA flashbacks here :/

• Upvote (+1) 4

natalieportmanhesher.gif

Having watched all the Majors there wasn't a huge difference in the actual production value outside the introduction of Valve created player profiles. I will say Adam did a great job tucking the CS community into bed and went above and beyond with some of the venue issues brought up earlier on. This shouldn't really turn into an ESL vs MLG thing.

Also having an MLG event every couple of months alongside or included in HCS would be great and would benefit everyone.

• Upvote (+1) 3

A brief clarification.

So even if you want to be the most prominent esports organizer and dont want to support your competition, wouldn't allowing open tournaments, which are proven to grow the scene, only help you?  More people are into halo, more people tune into pro league

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'm sure what ESL had to offer Halo at the time was a lot cheaper than what MLG offered. The lowest bidder isn't always what is best.

I'm confused. didn't Timo just say that they did not forbid Pro Players from attending tournaments? So if MLG wants to throw a LAN that doesn't have schedule conflicts and doesn't include hcs points etc, they can attend? All timo said was that players in the Pro League couldn't play in tournaments exclusively for the Open Circuit.

Im confused now too.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

A brief clarification.

That just made me have more questions honestly. If MLG were to host a LAN between season 1 and season 2 when no other HCS events were taking place, could pros participate?

Because if no, that is a huge problem

• Upvote (+1) 1

Long/boring post about league formats and ensuring the best experience for all competitors:

Current Pro-league/Challenger-league set up is great. My main gripe is that the early tournaments of challenger should reward less points (or have the points spread out more) than the later tournaments, since the results of tournaments with established seeds are almost always going to be more "accurate" than those without. For example:

• An initial seeding tournament like we had this season that awards "seeding points" that only matter for the first open cup, but instead of only awarding seeding points to the top-16 teams in this tournament, award them to the top-32 teams or even better, the top-64. Since these points only effect seeding, there is no harm in awarding them liberally, and anything that lowers the impact of RNG brackets is an improvement.
  • The first weekend of challenger league was, predictably, by far the least accurate as far as placings go with several teams making it to Sunday that weren't able to replicate that performance for any of the subsequent weeks. This first weekend was also the only one that awarded points to only 16 teams instead of 24 like the others. This inaccuracy should instead be reflected in the points awarded, by either lowering the total points available, or ideally stretching those points out over the top-32 instead of only the top-16. More teams with points = better brackets for the rest of the season.
  • The addition of a ladder that awards a comparatively small amount of points. This is something that a lot of people really enjoyed about HWC. It gave players who couldn't play on weekends a chance to compete, it allowed teams formed later on or who missed a tournament a chance to catch up on points, and it allowed the brackets to be just a little less random than they would have been otherwise. I would suggest a ladder win being worth 1 point, meaning they'd be almost entirely for seeding purposes, but could be a difference maker in the event teams are bunched up around the 16 seed. GB could run the ladder if ESL doesn't have the capacity.

Finally, I'd like to see each season culminate in an open LAN event instead of an invite-only season final. Fly out the pro teams and the 2 qualifying teams from challenger league, give the top-4 teams a bye into top 8 and have the open bracket and relegation matches run into the pro bracket. MLG would be the obvious choice here.

Example: 

626593a52b1ed035b410228df1a141e0.png

That gives us our open LANs (though obviously not with the frequency of the old days), plays to the strengths of the different TOs, and gives a little love to the casual-competitive players who can kinda get left in the dust when we only have weekend tourneys and the pro-league.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Man, relegation should have been bottom two + whomever in a double elimination format on LAN put on by MLG