CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

If we want to operate Halo 5 events with Pro Players (per Timo's post), it would only be allowed between Pro League seasons

That just seems so poor for the game though. If anything Pro League schedule should be slaved to the LAN event schedule and not the other way around. Its clear that LAN events build far more interest and hype within the scene so it should never come second in priority to anything if we're doing whats best for the game. Obviously I'd want both to exist though.

Like 343 could use both ESL and MLG you could schedule roster locks to expire after each LAN event give teams a week or two to find a team then run an online league leading into each LAN. 

Can the Beyond community get Timo and Adam work together ? Tune in next week to find out !

Again, the only reason I even posted to begin with is due to the amount of feedback we receive (much directed at me personally) about why we 'abandoned Halo'. Context was needed as it was damaging our relationship with an audience we have enormous history with. 

That'd be the audience that you dumped years ago when the numbers dipped right? Can't imagine where all that feedback is coming from.

Are we supposed to feel good that you're here to do damage control now that it might finally affect the bottom line again? You're the Art Modell of Halo. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 31

That'd be the audience that you dumped years ago when the numbers dipped right? Can't imagine where all that feedback is coming from.

Are we supposed to feel good that you're here to do damage control now that it might finally affect the bottom line again? You're the Art Modell of Halo. 

I was going to say this is as well. MLG abandoned Halo long, long before ESL or the Pro League was even in the picture.

All we had was AGL Brad.

That's probably what most people are upset about.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 7

You can't seriously be taking a good business decision personally and trying to throw shade on MLG for doing it lol

• Upvote (+1) 8

Odd statement: 

"To summarize: there was never a blanket statement made to prevent any tournament organizer from running LAN or online tournaments for Halo 5, that would include Pro League players. Please read on for more details."

We were told, explicitly, that we could not operate any H5 activity that included Pro players within the context of HCS. Whether you made a public statement or not, this decision was 100% made and communicated to us. 

EDIT: This clearly says you told us no, i.e. Pro Players were not allowed to participate at our events: 

"Yet, for the Summer Season, we could not come to reconcile differences in philosophies on format for the Open Circuit due to the fact that we viewed it as best for the scene to make the Open Circuit for amateurs only, to ensure that their path to the relegation tournament would be protected. But, we understand that amateurs playing with pros in a LAN environment is very important, due to its long-lasting history and the sheer fun and excitement these encounters create. With that in mind, tournament organizers were offered to run LAN events between Pro League seasons where any and all teams, Pro League and otherwise, could compete."

I mean we have to realize he is coming from ESL to do crowd control and paint them in the most positive light and probably misdirect our attention away from the poor decision of not letting MLG run events so we trust ESL and continue to support them.  It doesn't surprise me he worded it so politically then went on to continuously say how they are trying to improve while undermining their short comings by saying "we dont get it perfect right away but we are always improving".

I'm not hating ESL or saying they have done an awful job, but a forum post from a person who works there addressing an issue the community has about their company is going to be clearly biased.  The best thing about this is that it seems like they have acknowledged that open LANs are going to be important moving forward.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I mean we have to realize he is coming from ESL to do crowd control and paint them in the most positive light and probably misdirect our attention away from the poor decision of not letting MLG run events so we trust ESL and continue to support them.  It doesn't surprise me he worded it so politically then went on to continuously say how they are trying to improve while undermining their short comings by saying "we dont get it perfect right away but we are always improving".

I'm not hating ESL or saying they have done an awful job, but a forum post from a person who works there addressing an issue the community has about their company is going to be clearly biased.  The best thing about this is that it seems like they have acknowledged that open LANs are going to be important moving forward.

Really dude? Get to know the guy before spouting this bullshit.

Theres two sides to every "story". Don't just assume you can understand the full situation through a politely worded forum post.

And this is coming from me, a guy who has had NO problem expressing my issues with the pro league. 

Operating our own stand alone events in an 'off season' from the official publisher supported league seems like a bad idea...especially so long after the launch. Why put us on an island? 

I guess that's true too, but I feel like it would make sure the spotlight is on one thing at a time (both event and organizer). It breaks up that long break we would have in between seasons.

As per the long break, thats a problem for everybody I think IMO. We need to get you guys involved from the start for future titles. BIG open tourneys near launch to excel excitement for a title (I think BLOPS3 did this well). 

I mean, if it can be done clean, I would have no issue I guess running open tourneys during seasons. As long as all the players can get out and back. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Just saying that when people come at Adam for "abandoning Halo" it's probably not only about the ESL thing.

Obviously it was a good business decision at the time. To clarify.

This just shows you how far esports has to go. Could you imagine two NBA or NFL franchises going on a public forum and going at each other. Seems extremely unprofessional 

LOL!! they do it all the time.

Besides, i dont think @@Timo and @ were "going at each other". Neither one personally attacked the other however, they need to sit down again outside of a public forum and re-negotiate what LAN organizers can do. Then they need to let us know that non-ESL LAN organizers are welcome, nay,  ENCOURAGED to hold open LAN events that all players, pro and amateur, can participate in as long as they don't interfere with the Pro League schedule or HWC events.

Make it happen people!!!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Blows my mind that people are ignorant enough to think MLG "abandoned" Halo like it was a fucking puppy.

There is no tournament organizer that would have been able to run Halo at the time.  MLG operated Halo at a LOSS for years, and they couldn't afford it anymore.  What on earth did you want them to do? 

• Upvote (+1) 9

@

At the end of the day the ideal situation is to be able to let any event organizer run a tournament whenever the hell they want, of course :P

Hope we can have this some day.

Again, the only reason I even posted to begin with is due to the amount of feedback we receive (much directed at me personally) about why we 'abandoned Halo'. Context was needed as it was damaging our relationship with an audience we have enormous history with. 

You 'abandoned halo' when we sold out a Reach and H4 event with promises from you that if they did well the events would still be run. I don't think anyone is arguing you abandoning Halo 5 because we are in a state now where we have options rather than relying on one company to run events.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 5

Because they listened to our feedback and made a positive change? Seems like a pretty obvious answer to me...

But the mistake of having capacity for about 3 babies is a mistake in the first place.

You 'abandoned halo' when we sold out a Reach and H4 event with promises from you that if they did well the events would still be run. I don't think anyone is arguing you abandoning Halo 5 because we are in a state now where we have options rather than relying on one company to run events.

:apg:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I stand by my statement that two adults who are supposed to be representing their respective organizations should not get on a public forum to discuss their differences. While obviously not a lot of you agree with me, it is extremely unprofessional (on both sides) and would not be tolerated in any other industry 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 6

As far as I'm aware, ESL (at least) helps run the CWL Challenge Division, which allows Pros to intermingle with Amateurs for LAN events. The highest amateur placings at a LAN receive the respective tiers of Challenge points for Relegation/Worlds/etc.

I don't understand why the "path to Relegation" needs to be so "protected" for the amateurs.

• Online Amateur-exclusive Cups
  • Co-Competition LANs with points for Challenger placings

I literally don't see how this is rocket science other than the money involved to host LANs. I'm sure 343/MS/ESL/MLG would be able to muster up something with their combined efforts.

• Upvote (+1) 3

On topic of orgs and prize money:

OpTic doesn't take any of its players prize money, but they also do not pay their players. They offer sponsorship, YouTube, exposure, and living opportunities instead.

There was more happening behind the scenes than you guys will ever know but I agree, not running Halo 4 after Dallas was a much maligned decision both externally and internally.

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that despite selling out the event in person in the case of Reach the viewership was basically ass. I haven't a clue about H4. They were probably pressured into a situation where Halo had to be amazing or they had to drop it

• Upvote (+1) 1