CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Only seen people post singular scrim results from scrims last night, so here's a collection of them(plus CLG-EG):

CLG  10-4  EG
RNG   9-5  E6
ALG   9-2  DNL

• Upvote (+1) 6

Hey Everyone,

For those of you who do not know me, my name is Timo and I am the Product Manager for the HCS Pro League at ESL. I wanted to come in and give you my perspective to help clear the air a bit about some of the comments and statements that have been going around regarding Pro League, Open Circuit, and open LAN tournaments for Halo.

To summarize: there was never a blanket statement made to prevent any tournament organizer from running LAN or online tournaments for Halo 5, that would include Pro League players. Please read on for more details.

ESL has been working with Halo for several years on esports initiatives. We have learned a lot during this time and continue to do so as we always strive to improve Halo esports for the community and drive its evolution. Part of that has always been listening to your feedback and taking it into account when moving forward. We are already working towards having the HCS Pro League Fall Season address some of the feedback we have heard about the Summer Season. However, please keep in mind that changes to things like format cannot always be implemented immediately, but that we continue to keep a close eye on community conversations here and elsewhere as we look to make improvements.

One of these conversations is of course the desire for more direct competition between Pro League teams and amateurs. There are many ways to approach tournament structures for various gaming titles and communities. Different philosophies carry different strengths and weaknesses, and different tournament organizers have greater expertise in different formats. We’re proud that ESL is known for creating some of the world’s largest and most successful online tournaments and stadium events with a commitment to consistent storytelling and competitive integrity. So in kicking off HCS Pro League this year, we focused on our strengths while having an open door for other tournament organizers to support the Halo community with their own events.

Yet, for the Summer Season, we could not come to reconcile differences in philosophies on format for the Open Circuit due to the fact that we viewed it as best for the scene to make the Open Circuit for amateurs only, to ensure that their path to the relegation tournament would be protected. But, we understand that amateurs playing with pros in a LAN environment is very important, due to its long-lasting history and the sheer fun and excitement these encounters create. With that in mind, tournament organizers were offered to run LAN events between Pro League seasons where any and all teams, Pro League and otherwise, could compete. For the upcoming Fall Season, we will continue to work with 343 and other tournament organizers on ways that can potentially see Pro League teams integrated into possible Open Circuit LAN events – as long as the format remains competitively fair.

In the same vein, Pro League teams can participate in online tournaments outside of the Open Circuit activities at any time, as long as it does not impede their ability to play their Pro League matches. You can see this today where Pro League teams or players compete in the Team Beyond cups, for instance.

We have been working hard on the HCS Pro League, Open Circuit, and Halo esports overall for the past few years. We don’t always get everything perfectly right, but we think we have taken big steps and made vast improvements from where we started, and we are constantly looking to improve further, much in thanks to your feedback and input. We are very proud to have the opportunity to work with a title as revered as Halo, and of what we have achieved so far. Every day, we are actively working to expand upon what we have currently and are excited to grow Halo esports moving forward.

Thank you for your attention, feedback, and continued support of Halo esports. As stated earlier, your feedback, as well as feedback from Pro League teams and players, will continue to shape where we go from here as we look to future seasons and events.

Timo

FYI most quality orgs don't touch players prize money

yes they do.
  • Upvote (+1) 8

yes they do.

does E6 take a %?

idc about the number just curious, no worries if you don't feel like sharing

Are you referring to E6 or a prior org?

Also how do you define quality org?

All the orgs besides us take a cut I'm pretty sure maybe one team in there doesn't
  • Upvote (+1) 3

The average American pulls in $50k a year before taxes, and spends a lot more time on the job than these guys typically spend playing Halo.

In this sport, like many others, income is largely based on tournament wins... The fact that someone might not win big doesn't mean they aren't in a professional setting.

No one is arguing that these guys don't have other important matters to juggle in there life. No one is saying they shouldn't prioritize other work or go to school. The comment was that these guys ARE proffessional Halo players, and as such, it's strange that practice schedules aren't more rigid and pre game prep more extensive. These prize pools are not just chump change.

Wait, *shudders* are we talking about life-changing money again????

• Upvote (+1) 1

All the orgs besides us take a cut I'm pretty sure maybe one team in there doesn't

I think Kelby said back during H2A that EG (org) wasn't taking a cut -- but I also think contracts were reworked for most teams in Halo 5 due to the enormous pot involved.

Can't say anything for certain, though.

Outside of Halo, the only contract I've seen was from Speed eSports in DotA2 (2014, iirc).  They'd posted their contracts publicly to try to add clarity/openness to the scene.

In their contracts, placing outside of the top 2 took a pretty substantial cut, but as you placed higher, the org's cut shrunk and the players got a larger % of their prize pool.  Basically, orgs would take a large % or a flat amount to cover their costs.  If you placed #1 at the event, you earned all your money and only had to reimburse the org for what they spent to send you.

I believe in CSGO the larger/higher-placing orgs do not take prize money, simply because of the existence of sticker sales.  Orgs can make they money for funding the team back from other methods.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This just shows you how far esports has to go. Could you imagine two NBA or NFL franchises going on a public forum and going at each other. Seems extremely unprofessional 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 28

This just shows you how far esports has to go. Could you imagine two NBA or NFL franchises going on a public forum and going at each other. Seems extremely unprofessional

Yea, Deflategate was totally professional.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think Kelby said back during H2A that EG (org) wasn't taking a cut -- but I also think contracts were reworked for most teams in Halo 5 due to the enormous pot involved.

Can't say anything for certain, though.

with the money involved at worlds i'd be shocked if orgs didn't negotiate a %

thanks mr wet blanket Beyond%20Sad.png

I've been out of the loop for a while. 

What's the latest?

Please come back and start casting again having the same casters nearly every week gets old fast.

Again, the only reason I even posted to begin with is due to the amount of feedback we receive (much directed at me personally) about why we 'abandoned Halo'. Context was needed as it was damaging our relationship with an audience we have enormous history with.

Image is everything. Only takes one moron to get a hivemind turned the wrong way.

It'd be a damned shame if we missed out on another LAN because of a miscommunication.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Odd statement: 

"To summarize: there was never a blanket statement made to prevent any tournament organizer from running LAN or online tournaments for Halo 5, that would include Pro League players. Please read on for more details."

We were told, explicitly, that we could not operate any H5 activity that included Pro players within the context of HCS. Whether you made a public statement or not, this decision was 100% made and communicated to us. 

Someone around here seems to be misinformed, and I don't think that's Adam.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Can we just get a definitive answer as to whether or not MLG can run Halo 5 tournaments because one of you says there wasn't a blanket statement made and the other says there was.

While I appreciate clarity, for all the talk about "Halo's growth" and "wanting what's best for Halo" all this seems REALLY counter intuitive.

• Upvote (+1) 5