CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Woahh what happened?

#thanksbungie

that ninja rage was a good throwback to gb ninj. Anyone know what he was upset about in that reaction vid?

Man, am I the only person 9 months later that is still loving h5? I havent played this much since halo 2, and h5 is phenomenally more balanced than Overwatch. I would rather play against high onyx and champs than deal with irritating characters where some take less skill to play than others.

Not really, I'm the same. Sometimes I have to 'restrain' myself from playing, because I turn on the Xbox expecting to play a few games, and then I realize it's morning and I've been playing for 10 hours straight. I just love the competitive part of this game, it's the only game I play and playing and watching it is a very important part of my life. The only reason I don't play anymore is because if I want to I have to play with my broken (RIP my right stick) standard Xbox One controller, which is kinda alright for playing against diamonds-onyx, but then I match Champions and get destroyed.

It hurts my mind when people criticize the MP part of this game on this thread. Maybe I'm just a huge fanboy of this game and can't see the flaws on it. Also very OT but one of my goals is to make it to the Pro League someday (if they ever do one here in Latin America). Meanwhile, I'm going to keep watching all the tournaments (well, tbh it's not hard to watch them all, not like there are a lot lol), rooting for E6 and criticizing my former favorite player Ninja  :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

@@LethuL Any chance you could start a YouTube? With your sardonic humour you'd make some hilarious livecoms.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Hopefully he does... as much as some people who visit the forums would had to admit, cratos is an entertaining person. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

1/2 professional, 1/2 really good hobbyist*

Brake wasn't insulting anyone. I don't understand how you guys misconstrued his statements as an attack on the pros. If anything he was saying it's an impressive feat that they can do what they do without being able to fully support themselves off the game.

He wasn't calling for a "remove everyone's pro status" or suggesting we stop regarding them as pros in general. He was saying, if people need another job to pay the bills, halo is always going to take a back seat. Implying that he's impressed with the pros who do have to do both and make it work currently.

Yeesh.

@@LethuL Any chance you could start a YouTube? With your sardonic humour you'd make some hilarious livecoms.

I can say from first hand experience that sarcasm and dry humor rakes in views when coupled with quality gameplay and production. It's also not a crazy amount of extra work once you get the hang of it.

(Back in my day, a 10 minute video would take 16 hours to render on my shitty dell Lattitude laptop! You kids don't know how good you got it!)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Also, you all completely missed @@tbrakef 's point about pros not making enough to sustain themselves on halo alone and it made me sad. I get you tbrake, I get you.

Yeah.... they did miss the point entirely, didn't they. 

What I said: "Halo doesn't provide enough income to sustain a large population of players who meet the standard definition of Professional and can devote a majority of their time cultivating their skill and technique"

What they heard: "Halo Pro League is filled with a buncha amateurs who aren't Pro"

• Upvote (+1) 1

So I keep reading that players haven't been paid from Worlds yet. How is this not a bigger deal? Seems like everyone is playing it off as unimportant. If I was in Pro league and I hadn't been paid for Worlds, I could understand why they aren't very dedicated.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah.... they did miss the point entirely, didn't they.

What I said: "Halo doesn't provide enough income to sustain a large population of players who meet the standard definition of Professional and can devote a majority of their time cultivating their skill and technique"

What they heard: "Halo Pro League is filled with a buncha amateurs who aren't Pro"

It's not that we missed your point. It just doesn't make any sense.

Halo 5, is the 3rd highest paying esport so far this year (well it would be if folks got their $) this year behind Dota and CS:Go, even though it has had far fewer tournaments.

The comparatively small size of the league also means that Halo5 actually has the highest average payout per pro player.

These guys in pro league are professional halo players. There's no way around it. The size of the scene doesn't change that. Whether or not they choose to work another job is irrelevant.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That Pit podcast talk show whatever with Audley is about ten times more entertaining to listen to than the HCS Listen In, dead as.

• Upvote (+1) 5

It's not that we missed your point. It just doesn't make any sense.

Halo 5, is the 3rd highest paying esport (well it would be if folks got their $) this year behind Dota and CS:Go, even though it has had far fewer tournaments.

The comparatively small size of the league also means that Halo5 actually has the highest average payout per pro player.

These guys are professional halo players. There's no way around it. The size of the scene doesn't change that. Whether or not they choose to work another job is irrelevant.

I dunno man, for example EG is a highly popular team that had played relatively well. As a team made a total purse of $95k, sounds pretty good until you consider how that needs to be split between the players, the org, and the tax man. Add all the costs of travel and lodging, the payouts don't look as amazing then 95k looks more like 15k. 343 threw money at the HWC and it did give ridiculous payouts to the top 4 teams, after that it was a pittance, by comparison. Even the 3rd-4th place teams who got 250k are still each bringing home maybe $36k in actual prize money, if they ever actually get it. 

Lets cut these guys some slack, its pretty harsh to judge these guys as if they all make $80-$100k+ per year in Halo money alone. Some guys like Snakebite are a different breed of do it all, school, halo, ect. Not everyone is wired that way. Also, we can't say how much work they actually put in, we don't see it all.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Bought the CLG skins twice by accident, enjoy my peasant money  :mj:

How the FUCK do you have so much neg?

• Downvote (-1) 1

Not sure if e-sports works the same way as normal sports. But advertisers typically spend about $20-$30 per thousand viewers for a 30 second spot. Halo would be generating about $80-$150 per 30s commercial in its broadcast if it were a typical "network" broadcast. Obviously it can't be simplified this much but seems kind interesting to put it into that type of perspective.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I dunno man, for example EG is a highly popular team that had played relatively well. As a team made a total purse of $95k, sounds pretty good until you consider how that needs to be split between the players, the org, and the tax man. Add all the costs of travel and lodging, the payouts don't look as amazing then 95k looks more like 15k. 343 threw money at the HWC and it did give ridiculous payouts to the top 4 teams, after that it was a pittance, by comparison. Even the 3rd-4th place teams who got 250k are still each bringing home maybe $36k in actual prize money, if they ever actually get it.

Lets cut these guys some slack, its pretty harsh to judge these guys as if they all make $80-$100k+ per year in Halo money alone. Some guys like Snakebite are a different breed of do it all, school, halo, ect. Not everyone is wired that way. Also, we can't say how much work they actually put in, we don't see it all.

The average American pulls in $50k a year before taxes, and spends a lot more time on the job than these guys typically spend playing Halo.

In this sport, like many others, income is largely based on tournament wins... The fact that someone might not win big doesn't mean they aren't in a professional setting.

No one is arguing that these guys don't have other important matters to juggle in there life. No one is saying they shouldn't prioritize other work or go to school. The comment was that these guys ARE proffessional Halo players, and as such, it's strange that practice schedules aren't more rigid and pre game prep more extensive. These prize pools are not just chump change.

• Upvote (+1) 3

For me, it's less that "Halo 5 isn't good enough" and more that "There are other games I'd rather be playing."

When Halo 2 was out, I didn't have the money to have a gaming PC, so I couldn't just elect to play the FPS I actually enjoyed more (Unreal Tournament 2004).  So I settled for the game I could get, rather than the game I wanted.  If I played games on PC, they were older games that still had thriving communities (read: Blizzard games, StarCraft/Diablo 2).

I enjoy Overwatch more than I enjoy Halo 5.  I enjoyed League of Legends way more than Reach or Halo 4.  So I didn't play those games nearly as much.

When Halo CE was out, there weren't any other next gen console, multiplayer console shooters that compared to it.  There wasn't competition.  It dominated the niche just like Goldeneye 64 and Perfect Dark before it had on N64.

When Halo 2 came out, there weren't any other next gen console, ONLINE multiplayer shooters that compared to it.  There wasn't competition.  It brought online competitive gaming to consoles successfully.  So chances were, if you had a friend on XBox Live... they were there for Halo 2.

Nowadays, your friends have other options.  You have other options.  And a lot of times, people wanna play with their friends more than they want to play a specific game.  So it's a lot harder to maintain retention than it was in the older days.  Because now, if your experience has ANYTHING that grates on a player... they can simply say "I'm not playing this anymore."  And, as a developer... if they bought the disc, you don't care as much.  You got the sale from them, you don't need them as much anymore.  (Granted, this is changing rapidly as many, many games are shifting to microtransactions/gambling mechanics for in-game player investment... there is a lot of money to be added from any bit of retention you can get from players.)

When I play Halo 5, I usually enjoy myself.  I hate my teammates.  If I had friends that played the game, I'd probably play the game more.  But many of my friends moved on from Halo.  Because they have other options.

And when it comes to playing a game solo...I'd rather play Overwatch, which is more fun.

Quoted for truth.

Overwatch splits between 6 and is coming towards their first large tournament for a total prize pool of $100k. Which scene is healthier? Which scene has more aspiration?

I don't see why people should cut them slack, they're ringed in with pro league essentially cycling money to the same top8-10 teams. Halo5 will be in the top10 in total prize pool by next year. There are a lot of scenes that do a lot more for a lot less.

That Pit podcast talk show whatever with Audley is about ten times more entertaining to listen to than the HCS Listen In, dead as.

Did you just compliment something I'm involved in?

@@CyReN @@Saucey please ban this imposter.  I think he got hacked.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I would love for the pros to start doing some youtube stuff. I know PJ tweeted that pros don't do it because they don't get views, but any pro youtube channel I have ever seen only uploads videos like once a month.  Of course you aren't going to get views. You have to be consistent and film stuff outside of Halo to get the larger, casual audience. I hope Cratos realizes this.

• Upvote (+1) 1