CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

ninja being a variety streamer is good for halo

we see an increase in viewers when his fan base increases

I can personally attest that there are many viewers he's gained through H1Z1 that still watch his Halo streams. He's also seen his subscriber numbers healthily improve by not only streaming Halo. My favorite streamers are Ninja, Lethul, and Spartan... and guess what? They stream other games besides Halo.

You make a good point.

• Upvote (+1) 6

For me, it's less that "Halo 5 isn't good enough" and more that "There are other games I'd rather be playing."

When Halo 2 was out, I didn't have the money to have a gaming PC, so I couldn't just elect to play the FPS I actually enjoyed more (Unreal Tournament 2004).  So I settled for the game I could get, rather than the game I wanted.  If I played games on PC, they were older games that still had thriving communities (read: Blizzard games, StarCraft/Diablo 2).

I enjoy Overwatch more than I enjoy Halo 5.  I enjoyed League of Legends way more than Reach or Halo 4.  So I didn't play those games nearly as much.

When Halo CE was out, there weren't any other next gen console, multiplayer console shooters that compared to it.  There wasn't competition.  It dominated the niche just like Goldeneye 64 and Perfect Dark before it had on N64.

When Halo 2 came out, there weren't any other next gen console, ONLINE multiplayer shooters that compared to it.  There wasn't competition.  It brought online competitive gaming to consoles successfully.  So chances were, if you had a friend on XBox Live... they were there for Halo 2.

Nowadays, your friends have other options.  You have other options.  And a lot of times, people wanna play with their friends more than they want to play a specific game.  So it's a lot harder to maintain retention than it was in the older days.  Because now, if your experience has ANYTHING that grates on a player... they can simply say "I'm not playing this anymore."  And, as a developer... if they bought the disc, you don't care as much.  You got the sale from them, you don't need them as much anymore.  (Granted, this is changing rapidly as many, many games are shifting to microtransactions/gambling mechanics for in-game player investment... there is a lot of money to be added from any bit of retention you can get from players.)

When I play Halo 5, I usually enjoy myself.  I hate my teammates.  If I had friends that played the game, I'd probably play the game more.  But many of my friends moved on from Halo.  Because they have other options.

And when it comes to playing a game solo...I'd rather play Overwatch, which is more fun.

I agree for the most part. I do want to state before I go into it that I also would much rather play Overwatch, even solo queue. I think this is a big problem for Halo because OW is a pure team game where no matter how much individual skill you have, you won't be close to successful without having good team skill. I think this really says something about Halo 5's modes/playlists etc..

In regards to being burnt out on Halo, I absolutely understand it. I became burnt out a couple months ago and was not enjoying the game anymore. I guess it just got stale or something because I had no desire to improve which oddly enough is a big reason I enjoy games. If there is something that I can give 343 credit for, it's having some great competitive gametypes/maps right at launch. The only problem was how stagnant things became after a while. The best they could do was the arena refresh maps, which switched a handful of weapons around and ultimately didn't make much of a difference. They didn't bother to incorporate forge maps or new maps or give any real variation. Doubles and Firefight feel fresh, but that's not enough for me to invest again in the game after all this time.

That's one thing I do somewhat miss about Halo 2 and Halo 3. I say somewhat, because it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows. We used Zanzibar, Ivory Tower, Gemini, Foundation, Elongation, Colossus etc in MLG. We also used High Ground, Isolation, Last Resort for Halo 3 and used KOTH on some maps like Guardian and the Pit. I'm not saying these were the greatest or even good game types, but there was a period of time where we had practiced them and played them. Throughout the years things became more refined but there was at least a lot of variation, even if we're talking strictly competitive.

The rest is lengthy but I did want to discuss the topic of Halo not having competition. There were tons of great games back then and it did have competition but not from anything that had tried to mimic it's experience, or mimic it well. I think that's a big issue today. A lot of the top shooters share similar elements and mechanics and create this bland gameplay.

One misconception I want to clear up is the lack of options during Halo CE and Halo 2. Gaming now a days is a completely different beast than what it was back then. Yes, you have more options now but it seems as if a lot of the options from an FPS standpoint don't provide a vastly different experience from title to title. Back then gaming wasn't as popular and was viewed as something that kids and teens did but not adults. My gaming preferences had changed from back then too.

List of games I played a lot of around Halo CE. I'll bold the shooters, but I'm leaving off most story, sports, racing and fighting games

• Perfect Dark (N64)
  • Most Next Gen Sports games (for graphics)
  • NHL Hitz
  • Project Gotham Racing
  • Dead Or Alive 3
  • James Bond Nightfire 
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon
  • SSX Tricky
  • GTA Vice City
  • Gaunlet Dark Legacy
  • Max Payne
  • Simpsons Road Rage
  • James Bond Agent Under Fire
  • Medal of Honor Front Line
  • Fusion Frenzy
  • Time Splitters II
  • THPS 3
  • Hunter The Reckoning
  • Elder Scrolls : Morrowind 
  • Mech Assault
  • Unreal Championship
  • Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell

This excludes a lot of my guilty pleasure games too. Although Halo 2 didn't come out for another couple years, I ended this list in late 2002 / early 2003 since XBL had just came out recently. Some of these games are between Halo CE and Halo 2's release dates and can probably go on both lists.

List of games leading to Halo 2's release.

• Red Faction II
  • Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic
  • Ghost Recon: Island Thunder
  • The Simpsons Hit and Run
  • Crimson Skies
  • THUG
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3
  • Medal of Honor: Front Line
  • Counter Strike
  • Armed and Dangerous
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Unreal II 
  • Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
  • Manhunt
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3 Black Arrow
  • Fable
  • Star Wars Battlefront

List of Games post Halo 2's release.

• Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2
  • Mech Assault 2
  • Conker Live and Reloaded
  • Time Splitters 2 Future Perfect
  • Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
  • Doom 3
  • Unreal Championship 2: Liandri Conflict
  • Area 51
  • Forza
  • GTA San Andreas
  • Ninja Gaiden Black
  • Rainbow Six Lockdown (series started to decline imo)
  • Serious Sam II
  • Sniper Elite
  • Greg Hastings Paintball (fuck it, why not)
  • Battlefield 2
  • Star Wars Battlefront 2
  • Operation Flashpoint
  • Half Life 2 (xbox)
  • Black
  • Rainbow Six: Critical Hour (much better than lockdown despite reviews)
  • Painkiller: Hell Wars

at this point I'm getting to a year + out of Halo 2's release date. During this time in gaming I'd argue that there were more/better fighting and racing games released as well. So there were plenty of great games out there and Halo did have competition, but nothing felt close to Halo's experience. I feel that is very important compared to today when every new "modern" shooter feels incredibly incredibly similar.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'm gonna be dissapointed if the plane hasn't been repurposed as a flying team house.

that would be dooooope

I don't think it's entirely due to the fact that I dislike H5 that I don't play it anymore, but more so the fact that I'm older and have other hobbies I would rather spend my time on than grinding in a game that won't benefit me in any way.

I don't think the game is boring, and I don't necessarily hate automatic weapons in competitive play, but I think it's just my personality that has changed over the years.  I can only sit down and play a game for an hour at most until I ask myself what I should actually be doing with my time.

Some people are still content grinding for 5-6 hours a day, which is great that they still have the drive to do so, but I won't blame my dislike for the game entirely on 343.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Man, am I the only person 9 months later that is still loving h5? 

I don't know if I "love" it but I am enjoying it. Watching the HCS has made me want to play and I've been enjoying getting better at Arena. Problem is opposing Team's of 4 which isn't just unenjoyable, it's anti-fun.

• Upvote (+1) 4

@@TheSimms only deputy? step it up  :simms:

1g4l6em23h7x.png

That's not real, is it?

Nooooo.  :simms:

I don't think it's entirely due to the fact that I dislike H5 that I don't play it anymore, but more so the fact that I'm older and have other hobbies I would rather spend my time on than grinding in a game that won't benefit me in any way.

I don't think the game is boring, and I don't necessarily hate automatic weapons in competitive play, but I think it's just my personality that has changed over the years.  I can only sit down and play a game for an hour at most until I ask myself what I should actually be doing with my time.

Some people are still content grinding for 5-6 hours a day, which is great that they still have the drive to do so, but I won't blame my dislike for the game entirely on 343.

This is key.

People don't realize it (or don't think about it) but the Halo fan-base is growing older. I just graduated and started my first time job, and holy shit like where did the time go? I'm not in highschool anymore and I can't just game for hours every night. Hell I can't even stay up to watch the entirety of the pro league matches on Thursday.

If 343/HCS/MLG/whoever can figure out how to connect with the younger kids, Halo will grow. Open events are a huge part of this, because being able to travel to an MLG event and watch/compete in person just makes the scene real to people. I've been to events, I'm 22 years old; going to another open event won't make much of a difference for me. But for those who have never been to an open event (especially an MLG event), the experience is arguably life changing.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I don't know if I "love" it but I am enjoying it. Watching the HCS has made me want to play and I've been enjoying getting better at Arena. Problem is opposing Team's of 4 which isn't just unenjoyable, it's anti-fun.

I agree the to4 thing is annoying. My mindset on what i find fun in a PvP game has changed over the years. I just really enjoy the fact that there is one loadout/class for everyone. I honestly have more fun solo queueing against teams than solo queueing in class based games like overwatch and losing simply because of comp or the class im playing cant carry as easily.

Playing WoW arena for years might make me a little biased against class based games since imbalances will forever be in that game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is great until you see that logo.

• Upvote (+1) 4

That's why I quit my job after winning worlds, I wanted to take the next step from hobbyist to pro. Remove all other green forum names if they are not following this criteria. 

I don't know if anyone has said this, but I really appreciate what you - and CLG - do for the Halo scene. You all seem to care, it shows, and you are on top because of it.

You deserve to be on top, and are a fantastic benchmark for the Halo scene in and out of the game.

Ok that's enough obsequiousness for today.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I agree the to4 thing is annoying. My mindset on what i find fun in a PvP game has changed over the years. I just really enjoy the fact that there is one loadout/class for everyone. I honestly have more fun solo queueing against teams than solo queueing in class based games like overwatch and losing simply because of comp or the class im playing cant carry as easily.

Playing WoW arena for years might make me a little biased against class based games since imbalances will forever be in that game.

I think we have had similar changes then. I am finding solo queue quite fun in this game, and I like learning new stuff from HCS. Whilst I lose ~70% of my solo games due to latency/teams of 4/poor skill on my behalf, I don't get mad. I just want to improve.

Sucks all my friends have moved on to single player games.

• Upvote (+1) 2