CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

That was a big scrim for Team Liquid. Hope that they win a series in pro league??

Yeah but that was just online... Let's just wait till later this week and see how they perform on L-- oh wait, never mind.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That was a big scrim for Team Liquid. Hope that they win a series in pro league??

Things are looking up for Liquid.  We've improved at a lot of gametypes with Dan, and we took games off Enigma 6 and EnVy in Pro League this week (teams that both 3-0'd EG).

Danoxide joining the team has also helped re-energize the players' morale, so they're a bit more excited about practicing and playing the game in general.

This week is crucial for us because we play Allegiance and OpTic.  If we win both series, it will put us at 11 game wins (and, at worst, 22 game losses) -- if they both lose both their series this week, they will have 21 game losses, and at best, 11 game wins.  So all it will take for us is for one of the series to be a 3-1 or a 3-0 to escape the Imminent Relegation Chopping Block.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Response time. You can probably find a good 22-24 inch monitor with a 2-5ms response time that will make a much bigger difference than a new controller. You can probably find one on Amazon for about 89-109$. I would try this before a new controller if you are trying to get better. Save some cash and you still have an extra monitor down the road instead of a controller you never use. 

I actually have an elite already and love it, but after seeing this conversation I'm intrigued by the monitor idea.

Are there specific things I should be looking for when buying a monitor? based on your post I'm guessing response time, and someone lower down mentioned refresh rate, anything else I should look out for? 

Also, 24 inch seems really small?I'm guessing the improvement from the monitor negates the size?

• Upvote (+1) 1

i got the elite at launch as well. to me it def is an advantage to people using the regular controller. the trigger stops , and paddles have def helped me in many occasions. like a few others mine has not broke yet. 

For once I kind of agree with you.

The thing with Halo is that it's a game with multiple communities that have nothing to do with one another. There's a forging community, a custom games community, there are people who only care about warzone, there are communities only focused on the lore, and then there's us, the competitive community. I can't think of any other game that has so many different groups under one roof, and it makes sense that someone who follows the forge community for instance couldn't

sorry for writing multiple paragraphs

accidental neg

On the first person that agreed with me since January

• Upvote (+1) 3

I actually have an elite already and love it, but after seeing this conversation I'm intrigued by the monitor idea.

Are there specific things I should be looking for when buying a monitor? based on your post I'm guessing response time, and someone lower down mentioned refresh rate, anything else I should look out for?

Also, 24 inch seems really small?I'm guessing the improvement from the monitor negates the size?

Smaller size is better, because you don't have to move your eyes as much to see everything on the screen. It makes it much easier to spot enemies that are at the edge of the picture, compared to playing on a 40 in TV

• Upvote (+1) 1

Smaller size is better, because you don't have to move your eyes as much to see everything on the screen. It makes it much easier to spot enemies that are at the edge of the picture, compared to playing on a 40 in TV

Thanks! That is counter intuitive, but makes sense when explained like that. I feel like this is the wrong thread for this so I apologize, but is 27" too big in your opinion? Seems like a few of you really know what you are talking about  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Really response time and refresh rate are the 2 main ones. 24 inches is the sweet spot for price of the two stats mentioned above as well has being relatively low eye travel. Bigger screens like some ppl who play on tvs will run into some input lag.

Play campaign on a nice tv with some good surround sound. Play competitive with nice headphones and a good monitor.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I played h3 and reach on a 24 monitor.

Now I play on a 55 monster plasma.

Oh well lol. Sometimes I snap an inactive app so it cuts my play space on the TV down.

Thanks! That is counter intuitive, but makes sense when explained like that. I feel like this is the wrong thread for this so I apologize, but is 27" too big in your opinion? Seems like a few of you really know what you are talking about

I personally don't like anything over 27. I guess I'm just used to it, but it's really a comfort thing. Also smaller screens = not as expensive.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I personally don't like anything over 27. I guess I'm just used to it, but it's really a comfort thing. Also smaller screens = not as expensive.

When I was working in the states my friend owned a 80-inch tv and played games on it, I tried to play halo on it but I was getting destroyed, I felt so sluggish and if I did not anticipate someone's strafe pattern I was doomed, the margin for error was ridiculously low.

I play on a 42 inch normally, sometimes 32 and I do just fine but I could not shoot anything on that dam 80 inch TV.

I play on a 32" Sylvania that has pixels missing cause the TV hit my non elite controller somehow. I also wear some turtle beaches that broke but got them repaired by taking apart some other headphones and merging them with the turtle beaches. I also play on a computer chair with no lumbar support, but I have a couch pillow I sit on which is nice. I'm such a casual.

• Upvote (+1) 4

When I was working in the states my friend owned an 80-inch tv and played games on it, I tried to play halo on it but I was getting destroyed, I felt so sluggish and if I did not anticipate someone's strafe pattern I was doomed, the margin for error was ridiculously high.

I play on a 42 inch normally, sometimes 32 and I do just fine but I could not shoot anything on that 80 inch TV.

I think you mean the margin for error was ridiculously low

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think you mean the margin for error was ridiculously low

you are correct

24" monitor is perfect for me. I mean, you will sit closer to it, but I actually like it MUCH better than sitting some distance away from a large TV. My head is probably 2.5' from my 24" BenQ.

Believe me, I also thought I'd hate the tiny monitors, but I don't think I could go back to playing on a big screen.

• Upvote (+1) 3

24" monitor is perfect for me. I mean, you will sit closer to it, but I actually like it MUCH better than sitting some distance away from a large TV. My head is probably 2.5' from my 24" BenQ.

Believe me, I also thought I'd hate the tiny monitors, but I don't think I could go back to playing on a big screen.

I used to play Halo 2 on a 27 inch CRT, so I was thinking along those same lines. But this thread might have convinced me to go with 24" instead. The money isn't an issue. I would rather pay more for something of quality than pay less and regret it. Maybe I will just flip a coin

Really response time and refresh rate are the 2 main ones. 24 inches is the sweet spot for price of the two stats mentioned above as well has being relatively low eye travel. Bigger screens like some ppl who play on tvs will run into some input lag.

Play campaign on a nice tv with some good surround sound. Play competitive with nice headphones and a good monitor.

100% this.  I JUST finished my basement myself with a sweet new TV/Surround setup - but knew it would be trash for competitive MP, so I finally bought a gaming monitor to go along with everything.  

Booted up H5 last night for the first time on everything....Campaign was really sweet with my speakers - and the 70"...but you can REALLY tell the latency on it.  Plugged that same campaign on my monitor....HOLY FUCK DOES THAT FEEL AMAZING! 

Wife then came down so I had to quit...but I can't wait to get on this new setup and play!  No excuses anymore :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

How do players get paid for pro league? 

I'm genuinely curious here and not trolling but can pro's really make a living from this? I know the guys on CLG and stuff made a lot of money at that mega event but I'm talking about the average pro. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I haven't played Halo 5 in 3 months, but love watching the pros play lol. 

• Upvote (+1) 9

100% this. I JUST finished my basement myself with a sweet new TV/Surround setup - but knew it would be trash for competitive MP, so I finally bought a gaming monitor to go along with everything.

Booted up H5 last night for the first time on everything....Campaign was really sweet with my speakers - and the 70"...but you can REALLY tell the latency on it. Plugged that same campaign on my monitor....HOLY FUCK DOES THAT FEEL AMAZING!

Wife then came down so I had to quit...but I can't wait to get on this new setup and play! No excuses anymore :)

Yea same reason I go to the movie theater to watch action movies or ones I know will be good and have enveloping sound. It's an experience to play campaign on good quality stuff. But when you play competitive and your experience matters usually depending on how well you do, rather than how it looks, you really can't beat a monitor.

Adventure games or racing games sure, blast that to the 4k, but FPS is different.

How do players get paid for pro league?

I'm genuinely curious here and not trolling but can pro's really make a living from this? I know the guys on CLG and stuff made a lot of money at that mega event but I'm talking about the average pro.

They are paid based on their seed at the end of the league. I don't think exact amounts are public, but it totals $250,000 for NA. Source: http://espn.go.com/esports/story/_/id/15189384/halo-championship-series-pro-league-launch-31-feature-250000-prize-pool-esports

Edit: Maybe $250,000 between both leagues?

Edit 2: I think $150,000 for NA and $100,000 for EU.

I haven't played Halo 5 in 3 months, but love watching the pros play lol.

I feel like I'm one of the few people on here who actually plays the game.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I feel like I'm one of the few people on here who actually plays the game.

You're not alone.

It's hard to believe this pro league season is halfway over. Did anything ever come of the Suspector Intel tweet?

They are paid based on their seed at the end of the league. I don't think exact amounts are public, but it totals $250,000 for NA. Source: http://espn.go.com/esports/story/_/id/15189384/halo-championship-series-pro-league-launch-31-feature-250000-prize-pool-esports

Edit: Maybe $250,000 between both leagues?

Edit 2: I think $150,000 for NA and $100,000 for EU.

Your second edit is probably right -- specifically for playoffs.  There's more money in the season than that (because we've already established all 8 teams get money, not just top 4).  Can't share specifics, though.

The owner of Fatal Ambition followed the BUK twins.   :intel:

He also followed me.  Pretty sure he's just mass following Halo people.

• Upvote (+1) 1