CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

They can stream, just with 48 hours notice.

The issue is telling the players about these rules too late.

The issue is it's a dumb rule.

• Upvote (+1) 8

thanks for this! I can't see the results though, not sure if I just can't or i'm stupid lmao

Yeah, it's meant to be that way :P

I'll post the results tonight on @HCSpowerranks and here an hour before matches start tonight! 

• Upvote (+1) 1

CS is different but at the same time there are so many lessons that can be learned. The play-by-play in CS is laced with analysis, you're being told a certain player is pushing from a certain position because that is the crux of the strategy OR that is something they're historically known for etc. Listen to the first round of last weeks TBS broadcast there is no 'lets hope on board with' PBP, they're literally talking about the game and picking up on the objectives of both the attacking and defending side. It's important to note this is 'dumbed down' for TV audiences which again if that's what the goal is for Halo casters then take notes.

For casting Halo I feel you absolutely shouldn't try to match the pace of the action unless it's called for i.e. multikills, clutch moments, objective capture attempts. You can already see the difference with the EU casting desk which was at a slower more deliberate pace, and it was so much better for it. Half way through a Dinos game on Truth they're talking about weapon denial and rifle imbalance, and it was fucking glorious to hear. We're actually hearing a hypothesis as the WHY the game is going in favor of one team.

Great explanation at what I'm trying to get at with the idea of "smarter pbp." I agree there can be lessons to be learned from CS casting, but feedback should be more explanatory as to what those lessons are, instead of "be more like CS." So thanks for your reply :)

I watched the TBS broadcast last week, those casters are always such a joy to listen to.

• Upvote (+1) 1

yeah, I edited my post because I wasn't sure why the official stream didn't stream it. I was talking about in general, the Halo stream should stream all pro league matches.

The thing is, the individual stream is a feature unique to Esports that allows fans to customize their experience like no other sports presentation. It's unparalleled access to the athletes, who drive interest in this scene. Why not take full advantage of the technology and opportunities at hand?

I know there are probably considerations to be made when it comes to consolidating viewership for the benefit of league sponsors, but I'm sure their are ways they could work that out to everyone's benefit.

There's no doubt in my mind that if more players would have been able to stream in NA yesterday, quite a few more people would have tuned in to the event.

Had EU players been able to stream today, at least one person could have watched, which is infinitely better than 0.

Played the first week to perfection, GG's to Pulse and Realist Tins!

That game 3 on Strongholds Empire was a huge comeback.

I think I missed something. Are you officially Pro now?

"But ESL, why do the players have to tell you they're going to stream if the Halo channel isn't streaming the matches?"

L1JsZ4l.png

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, it's meant to be that way :P

I'll post the results tonight on @HCSpowerranks and here an hour before matches start tonight! 

cool, thanks Vin!

• Upvote (+1) 1

The thing is, the individual stream is a feature unique to Esports that allows fans to customize their experience like no other sports presentation. It's unparalleled access to the athletes, who drive interest in this scene. Why not take full advantage of the technology and opportunities at hand?

I know there are probably considerations to be made when it comes to consolidating viewership for the benefit of league sponsors, but I'm sure their are ways they could work that out to everyone's benefit.

There's no doubt in my mind that if more players would have been able to stream in NA yesterday, quite a few more people would have tuned in to the event.

I see where you're coming from. I feel like it should just be consistent. Same time, same channel, etc. They're also flying people to come cast in their studio. I really don'y think it's that much to ask for. Correct me if i'm wrong but I dont think players in any other leagues stream their pro league matches (i could be wrong) it's just my .2 on this though and I respect everyone's opinion 

Well after my timeout on the naughty step I have really had some time to reflect on my crimes. Apologies to those offended by my spamming.

In other news there is no excuse for not streaming all the EU matches. I can't think of a reason for it.

Well after my timeout on the naughty step I have really had some time to reflect on my crimes. Apologies to those offended by my spamming.

In other news there is no excuse for not streaming all the EU matches. I can't think of a reason for it.

The reason for it is probably that they made the rules without thinking about what would happen if ESL didn't stream the matches. It wasn't a policy that was thought through all the way. We'll likely hear about how they're fixing the rule soon. 

I see where you're coming from. I feel like it should just be consistent. Same time, same channel, etc. They're also flying people to come cast in their studio. I really don'y think it's that much to ask for. Correct me if i'm wrong but I dont think players in any other leagues stream their pro league matches (i could be wrong) it's just my .2 on this though and I respect everyone's opinion

Not sure about other pro leagues because I only follow halo.

All of the online halo 5 tourneys have had official and player streams simultaneously. The official stream still ends up with the lions share of the viewership, and the combined viewership has consistently higher than last night.

Also, the official stream is where folks go to see rebroadcasts of series they missed, anyway.

I feel like restricting streams is actually minimizing viewership. Player streams push halo higher on the twitch charts, which brings even more people into the official stream.

My first quote was because I was laughing so hard that someone was criticizing Calling a weapon the wrong name under pressure with someone talking in your ear while controlling cameras when you can make imo an even bigger error from the comfort of your home and just str8 up call me the wrong person. All good though, I mean no excuses, I made mistakes yesterday and a lot of them

IawffN1.gif

I had the stream open on my phone last night while I watched the Finals but didn't get to catch very much of it at all. Worth going back to watch even if I know how the series turned out? Catching up on the thread it sounds like things went kind of rough. I'm excited to see how Elamite and Side do tonight though.

@@GoldenboyFTW we miss you, fam.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I understand not wanting players to stream... when the Halo channel is streaming. I don't however understand how they aren't allowed to stream when their isn't even an official stream... like WTF?  Makes no sense.

Edit: Halo has 1.3k viewers right now, it would probably be double or triple that if players were streaming league matches.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The EU thing is a bit weird and frustrating, buuuut, there is pro Halo on tonight and I know who's playing, when it will be and roughly how long it'll last. Big picture this week is the first step in a great direction for Halo fans.