CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

i play a shit ton of solo queue, i can say it can help with some stuff and definitely be a serious source of tilt and agony.  good for shot, horrible for awareness and communication, decent for learning maps and gametypes.  idt it makes you worse, but it is agonizing.

if you go in with a focus on what you are trying to get better at and not looking to win or even go positive its a good way to practice to a certain extent.  you just have to expect that after like onyx 2k you will get a lot of TO4 and will have a lot of tough games

solo arena is death. Slayer is okay. FFA is the best right now if you want to improve your individual skill. You'll end up in a lot of 1v1s.

Quick shout out to @@Batchford, we spent a good 4 hours today going over map starts/nerdy plays/power positions/meta and other stuff.

Hoping it comes across in tomorrow's cast!

I wonder if he agreed to tell you all the wrong calls outs like I told him to.

• Upvote (+1) 2

prize pool increased for proleague, whoa ... $225k for NA

Are they going to give any sort of clear breakdown? Maybe the pros have more information, but a lot of the information seems to be coming out very last minute, and very light on details. 

Back in the MLG days we came out with all the details on prizes, stipends, points, season structure up front. Sometimes certain information would be hazy (venue booking was always an issue, couldn't always lock down an exact date far in advance), but the communication seemed more clear. 

Open questions I have that maybe have been answered somewhere:

1) How exactly does the veto system work? Who picks first? Is it the same team picking first for Slayer / Strongholds / Flag?

2) I see dates for open events, but how exactly does it all fit together? Are the promotion / relegation battles at a LAN or online? How many teams? How do they qualify?

3) What is the prize breakdown for the Pro League?

4) I've heard about a transfer period, but when is it? What are all the restrictions?

5) How are teams ranked? Just match count? Does game count matter? What happens in the event of a tie at the end of the season?

Bonus questions: 

1) Since they are running the Pro League online, are there any plans to have a proper spectator system? There was a game in the preview tournament that was skipped because the casters couldn't join. Can that happen here?

2) Does 343 realize that not having LAN capabilities means that there can't really be proper grassroots and local LAN tournaments that build the scene?

3) When are team skins coming? When can I buy them? How much will they cost?

Don't get me wrong, I love the pro Halo scene right now, but it really feels like 343 / ESL are just kind of making stuff up as they go along. Maybe they're not, but clear communication would go a long way here. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Positive outlook: maybe the veto system means I never have to watch an Empire Strongholds game again. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

Yea if only PARTY RESTRICTIONS would get added. Something that literally has NEVER been looked at by 343i. WOULD BE SICK IF SOMEBODY THAT WOULDN'T GET BLOWN OFF, WOULD JUST SAY IT TO 343i

I have tried personally so many times, this is the response I got "                                        ." -343i

Did you get that? Because if you didn't, THEY SAID NOTHING.

But for real, somebody please pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeeeee say something. :)

They are scared the game's low population would ruin search times if they did that.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

dude he's not even trying anymore

• Upvote (+1) 7

Positive outlook: maybe the veto system means I never have to watch an Empire Strongholds game again. 

Remember that one event that had a veto system and they all just vetoed the shit out of the Damnation remake?

They are scared the game's low population would ruin search times if they did that.

They shoulda been scared that NOT doing that would ruin the population.

We need H5 on GWG or something, else we won't have the population/req sales to maintain life changing prize pools.

Nah. Too many teams are good at it

Yea if only PARTY RESTRICTIONS would get added. Something that literally has NEVER been looked at by 343i. WOULD BE SICK IF SOMEBODY THAT WOULDN'T GET BLOWN OFF, WOULD JUST SAY IT TO 343i

I have tried personally so many times, this is the response I got "                                        ." -343i

Did you get that? Because if you didn't, THEY SAID NOTHING.

But for real, somebody please pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeeeee say something. :)

Been asking for party restrictions since day one. I tweet quinn and brav every few weeks and get no response. I'll make a post on waypoint, get nothing.

Party restrictions are in the same boat as splinter nades and spartan charge. Community wants them to change, or in this case, exist, but 343 is content on how it is. Just add a preference so you can turn it on or off and it doesn't kill search times for everyone.

I'm going to stop before Frosty's mod senses start tingling and my posts get deleted

• Upvote (+1) 1

Been asking for party restrictions since day one. I tweet quinn and brav every few weeks and get no response. I'll make a post on waypoint, get nothing.

Party restrictions are in the same boat as splinter nades and spartan charge. Community wants them to change, or in this case, exist, but 343 is content on how it is. Just add a preference so you can turn it on or off and it doesn't kill search times for everyone.

I'm going to stop before Frosty's mod senses start tingling and my posts get deleted

I wouldn't say the community as a whole wants splinters to change.

Some people on here? Sure. 

As for party restrictions, even adding a toggle would affect everyone. Those people who turn it on will no longer be matching solo players, meaning matchmaking slows down for them too.

I'd like to see them, but I can see why they aren't.

• Upvote (+1) 2

- So the teams which place 5th and 6th by the end of the pro league guarantee a spot in the next season, however they don't make it to Season finals. 

- The 7th and 8th team go to a LAN to compete for a spot in the pro league next season.

- The 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th team make it to season finals.

So the 5th and 6th team don't get any LAN event for them by the end of the season when the bottom 2 does. Hmmm... Interesting.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I wouldn't say the community as a whole wants splinters to change.

Some people on here? Sure. 

As for party restrictions, even adding a toggle would affect everyone. Those people who turn it on will no longer be matching solo players, meaning matchmaking slows down for them too.

I'd like to see them, but I can see why they aren't.

I don't think you can argue splinters being balanced. They insta kill with direct hits when plasma nades take a few seconds with direct hits. Non direct hits are still insta kills a lot of the time, and they stay after you throw them so you can use them to block off areas. The only downside is it's easy to kill yourself and teammates for the same reason it's easy to kill enemies. Even if people don't want it to change it is pretty unbalanced.

You could argue against party preferences, but I feel like all of the positives outweigh the negatives heavily.

• Upvote (+1) 2

- So the teams which place 5th and 6th by the end of the pro league guarantee a spot in the next season, however they don't make it to Season finals. 

- The 7th and 8th team go to a LAN to compete for a spot in the pro league next season.

- The 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th team make it to season finals.

So the 5th and 6th team don't get any LAN event for them by the end of the season when the bottom 2 does. Hmmm... Interesting.

I think relegation is online

I don't think you can argue splinters being balanced. They insta kill with direct hits when plasma nades take a few seconds with direct hits. Non direct hits are still insta kills a lot of the time, and they stay after you throw them so you can use them to block off areas. The only downside is it's easy to kill yourself and teammates for the same reason it's easy to kill enemies. Even if people don't want it to change it is pretty unbalanced.

You could argue against party preferences, but I feel like all of the positives outweigh the negatives heavily.

Oh sure, they're a little too powerful. There's been a lot of times they do direct impact and don't kill, though. 

Just saying, there isn't some huge community push to nerf them like there are people asking for black undersuits.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Then their opponents will ban it? :)

If that team is bad at it maybe

I think teams will prioritize vetoing maps they are bad at and not maps the other team is good at.

I'm personally not a big fan of the veto system, we'll end up seeing a lot of the same maps every series, but if it means less Stasis and Empire, I'm all aboard. 

Halo needs more LANs. Barely had any this year.

We've had 4 in a 6 month span.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I would rather have 10 minute search times than match a team of 4 solo or duo with my friend. The amount of kids that I regularly shit on solo queue and then get steaked because they are in a to4 is mad. No party restrictions is why the ranking system is shit because average kids get carried to high ranks they don't deserve.

I'm not good enough to carry every game soloqueing so I lose a lot and then when I party up with other similar players we match way better to4's and I lose a lot. What I'm saying is, I lose a lot.

• Upvote (+1) 1