CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Can somebody from Optic tell me what the fuck is going on with the sleeping schedule over there? What is actually wrong with Maniac? Does he realize all the gains he's losing?

To play devil's advocate a bit - they say it's "Rise & Grind" to get more gains - so if he's already gaining and then just staying awake until most people are just getting up for their own "Rise & Grind" he is then doubling his gains more than the average person  :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Optic could win HWC and this forum would get on them for not scrimming the next day

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I remember when EG was the dominant team during H2A and early H5. Now its CLG on top. Then E6 was supposed to be the only CLGiant slayer and that didn't go well. Then RNG impressed and then flubbed against CLG. Can anyone truly topple CLG? Or are they destined for the ultimate distinction of the "Next Final Boss?"

I love the current optic team, but I've said it before: their sleep schedule is so fucking messed up. That shit needs to be fixed for their brains to be performing at a top level when the time comes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Are there any scenarios where you guys think Optic would (should) be forced to forfeit their pro league spot?

Like, would not showing up to Pro League matches be enough? If so, how many would they have to not show up for before they relegate their spot to Elevate or another team?

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Are there any scenarios where you guys think Optic would (should) be forced to forfeit their pro league spot?

Like, would not showing up to Pro League matches be enough? If so, how many would they have to not show up for before they relegate their spot to Elevate or another team?

They haven't missed anything yet in regards to proleague stuff. Skipping an unofficial tournament isn't that big a deal. Taking days off from practice when you were last to qualify is probably not smart though

• Upvote (+1) 7

I think their position has been earned and if they didn't show up to pro matches they would be right in line for the relegation matches anyway. Same goes for pretty much any team. If they aren't showing up to their matches it'll count as a loss and put them on the bottom. Not to mention how badly it would reflect on them and their org.

Also Str8 Sick did say it wasn't a "mandatory" tournament, which to me sounds a bit like they have some sort of contract pertaining to the Pro League whereby if they aren't playing in the matches they're scheduled for it could have an impact of some kind. Although that's just pure speculation on my part.

Can someone explain the "honeymoon phase" for Halo teams? Like when the new RNG squad came out and were destroying everyone for like 2-3 weeks, then it all fell apart (granted they seem to be grinding back to the top recently). And then Optic who look like a top 2 squad for a while, but now seem lucky even to be in pro league. 

What happened? Do other teams just learn how to beat them? Do players start fighting (and does that make such a big differents). I don't understand how a team can get that much worse after playing MORE.....

• Upvote (+1) 2

Wee spoiler for this weeks community power rankings:

RNG is pulling ahead of nV right now. Still only about 30 people voted, I doubt well have as many as the extended period last week but even if its 2/3rds of the votes I'm gonna get this week it will certainly be down to the wire w/ nV and RNG. 

Will be interesting to see where everybody lands. 

Hypothetical question:

IF, and this is a fucking huge IF, EG beats CLG tonight, would anybody put them as #1 in the rankings? Personally, I still think CLG is the better team, they haven't been playing up to Worlds-CLG-par yet, but they'll get there again when the grind is 100% real and PL is in full swing. 

edit: off topic from above but it seems the EG team house is real and is indeed happening:

Sry if l8

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why would Optic not show up for Pro League matches? can't tell if serious. Only in the scenario all the players stop competing altogether would any of that even happen lol.

RNG is pulling ahead of nV right now. Still only about 30 people voted, I doubt well have as many as the extended period last week but even if its 2/3rds of the votes I'm gonna get this week it will certainly be down to the wire w/ nV and RNG. 

Hypothetical question:

IF, and this is a fucking huge IF, EG beats CLG tonight, would anybody put them as #1 in the rankings? Personally, I still think CLG is the better team, they haven't been playing up to Worlds-CLG-par yet, but they'll get there again when the grind is 100% real and PL is in full swing. 

edit: off topic from above but it seems the EG team house is real and is indeed happening:

Sry if l8

I agree. Even if someone beats CLG once. I would still put CLG as the best team. In fact,  I would put beating them in a scrim higher then beating them in a best of 5, where you only have to be better then them in 3 gametypes.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Hypothetical question:

The only way I'd put EG above CLG at this point is if they destroy CLG tonight (4-0, with steak sauce freely flowing). If they don't manage that, even if they beat CLG in the end, I'd still put CLG at the top.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I remember when EG was the dominant team during H2A and early H5. Now its CLG on top. Then E6 was supposed to be the only CLGiant slayer and that didn't go well. Then RNG impressed and then flubbed against CLG. Can anyone truly topple CLG? Or are they destined for the ultimate distinction of the "Next Final Boss?"

I personally don't really see these as flubs. E6, EG, and RNG all put up huge fights. I mean, RNG was 3 points away from going to a game 7. I don't think that CLG had any competition at all last season, but I think this season we are seeing that gap close. CLG is still clearly number 1, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them lose a series soon. Lord knows they're due for it  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can someone explain the "honeymoon phase" for Halo teams? Like when the new RNG squad came out and were destroying everyone for like 2-3 weeks, then it all fell apart (granted they seem to be grinding back to the top recently). And then Optic who look like a top 2 squad for a while, but now seem lucky even to be in pro league. 

What happened? Do other teams just learn how to beat them? Do players start fighting (and does that make such a big differents). I don't understand how a team can get that much worse after playing MORE.....

There really isn't a definitive way to answer your questions as it is all subjective.

In some instances a new team may have an unusual playstyle which throws teams off at first, i.e the old allegiance roster was known to play very differently from the other pro teams and that threw teams off. But the more and more teams play each other the likelihood of them been caught out again decreases as decent teams will figure it out and adapt accordingly.

In other cases it is most certainly a personality issue, when a team starts butting heads frequently, enjoyment will inevitably decline as teammates are constantly arguing. If teams aren't enjoying playing with each other then it is unlikely that the same effort level will be put in, like the saying goes it is not work if you enjoy what you do. Look at 08 final boss for example, they won the first halo 3 tournament, but problems within the team between the ogres and walshy caused them to stop playing as much and they fell behind their competition. 

But that only addresses a situation where teams play less, so here is another instance,  for the life of me I cannot think of a relevant halo example, so I will have to use COD (apologies) If anyone even remotely followed cod during black ops 2 you would have heard of fariko Impact, This team saw incredible success almost instantly after forming, winning 4 tournaments in a row including cod champs, but it all fell apart soon after (in part due to complexity forming) but mainly because when they experienced hardship the personalities on that roster became toxic, they constantly belittled and undermined each other to the point where it did not matter how much they played as a team and they played a lot because the team chemistry was destroyed, meaning if even the slightest thing went wrong this team would implode. They had the ability to beat complexity but could never get their mindset right.

In terms of RNG, I think it could be argued that they are experiencing similar turmoil (a much lesser scale) as the other night when scrimmaging clg after cam lagged out of discord, they lost full composure and looked like a different team for the rest of that scrim. Additionally, when this happens you do tend to see players arguing with one another, which only intensifies after they keep losing maps. 

With Regards Optic, I have no idea what is going on there, it could be a mixture of both, when things go well and they are hyped they look top 4, but then when something goes wrong, they just capitulate in embarrassing fashion. But they do not tend to grind the game as much as other teams either so who knows what is going on.

I have no idea if that made any sense, I just thought I would weigh in, as I feel there is something off with this renegades and optic teams and have for a while.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wouldn't be surprised if the series was close tonight, but even if it is I wouldn't make anything of it.

CLG just seems to get better as the series get longer, i.e. dropping 2 games to RNG yesterday and then continuing to scrim them after the tournement, winning the next 8 games (and the series 12-2).

• Upvote (+1) 1

As someone who has recently gotten into competing and has gone through a couple team changes already as well as just speaking on what I've observed over the years from following the scene, this is my perspective:

Before a team change, the team's quality of play is affected by the general dissatisfaction of the current team situation. After you make the team change, you're relieved and generally excited at the prospect of playing with this "more ideal" roster. Your attitude and approach is just fresher and better when you play with your new team, and the results reflect that. Then after a while you start seeing some cracks in the armor and the excitement  wears off, your mind tends to wander, and then the dissatisfaction grows and then the cycle repeats.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I think everyone should also keep in mind that CLG hasn't really had time on the new settings to widen the gap between themselves and the other teams again. Not saying it will definitely happen again, but adjusting the settings such that CLG needs to develop a new feel and new strats kind of levels the playing field a little bit in the short term.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I wouldn't be surprised if the series was close tonight, but even if it is I wouldn't make anything of it.

CLG just seems to get better as the series get longer, i.e. dropping 2 games to RNG yesterday and then continuing to scrim them after the tournement, winning the next 8 games (and the series 12-2).

Eh you could tell RNG wasn't trying as hard after the tournament. Their heads just weren't in it. 

Hypothetical question:

Just sent in my rankings. And no EG will need several wins to dethrone the Godsquad. 

• Upvote (+1) 1