CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Fun fact: If you reference the most recent power rankings, there has been one instance this week of a team beating a team ranked higher than them / losing to a team ranked lower than them.

That one instance: #7 Allegiance lost to unranked eLevate.

And then you remember your power rankings are (by your admission) supposed to be rankings at a LAN performance, where nV and Allegiance tend to have much cleaner performances than online.

It seems contradictory to have "Weekly Power Rankings" that only look within the scope of a week, but yet also supposed to be a LAN barometer, since once a week has passed, the last LAN no longer counts for anything.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 7

And then you remember your power rankings are (by your admission) supposed to be rankings at a LAN performance, where nV and Allegiance tend to have much cleaner performances than online.

It seems contradictory to have "Weekly Power Rankings" that only look within the scope of a week, but yet also supposed to be a LAN barometer, since once a week has passed, the last LAN no longer counts for anything.

Nice analysis. 

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 8

I don't know why it's so hard for people to undestand. It's not a "power ranking that only looks within the scope of a week". It's a power ranking that factors in everything, and the only thing that should change from week-to-week would be the new stuff that happened that past week. Each week you should start with the same "base" power ranking, and then adjust based on any new information that happened within the week. 

Also, for anyone that has ever paid attention to a traditional sport power ranking, you'll realize they have the same basic premise. Start with what they had the week before, and adjust based on performance from the games that week. There will ALWAYS be a team power ranked higher than you think they should be, always be a team lower thank you think they should be, always be a team higher than a team that they lost to earlier in the season, etc. 

It's actually a fairly simple concept. People just like to complain because that's what people do I guess.

EDIT: And in regards to Allegiance (unless I've missed it), they haven't scrimmed together since the Cubs won their last world series, so if a LAN sprung up today, I would not expect them to fare as well as they did at the last LAN. That's just me though, and I could be wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Also, for anyone that has ever paid attention to a traditional sport power ranking, you'll realize they have the same basic premise.

I honestly believe this is the biggest issues with people not understanding it.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I don't know why it's so hard for people to undestand. It's not a "power ranking that only looks within the scope of a week". It's a power ranking that factors in everything, and the only thing that should change from week-to-week would be the new stuff that happened that past week. Each week you should start with the same "base" power ranking, and then adjust based on any new information that happened within the week.

Also, for anyone that has ever paid attention to a traditional sport power ranking, you'll realize they have the same basic premise. Start with what they had the week before, and adjust based on performance from the games that week. There will ALWAYS be a team power ranked higher than you think they should be, always be a team lower thank you think they should be, always be a team higher than a team that they lost to earlier in the season, etc.

It's actually a fairly simple concept. People just like to complain because that's what people do I guess.

EDIT: And in regards to Allegiance (unless I've missed it), they haven't scrimmed together since the Cubs won their last world series, so if a LAN sprung up today, I would not expect them to fare as well as they did at the last LAN. That's just me though, and I could be wrong.

I'm just running with the assumption that folks who take issue with the power rankings here don't follow traditional sports very closely.

I see a lot of over-complicating of this rather simple concept.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't understand the huge gripe about Power Rankings, they are made out of good fun and enjoyable to look at. They are always going to be opinionated, I don't know why so many people get upset about them. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Each week you should start with the same "base" power ranking, and then adjust based on any new information that happened within the week. 

Start with what they had the week before, and adjust based on performance from the games that week.

This seems like a contradiction, unless you're just saying the team's "base" ranking updates on a week-to-week basis...in which case it makes sense.

But that wouldn't explain Renegades over the last 3 weeks.  (Admittedly this week, their case looks better since they beat Liquid in the only scrim they've played so far this week.)

3 weeks ago, they were tied for 2nd with Enigma 6, despite losses to eLevate and OpTic (one of which was on LAN.)

2 weeks ago, they remained tied with Enigma 6, but for 3rd, despite losing to eLevate.

Last week, they remained top 4 despite a loss to Liquid, and only winning 4 games against teams ranked above them (and losing 16). None of those teams were CLG.

Fun fact: when they beat Renegades, neither eLevate nor Liquid were in the top 8.  So that's 3 series losses in 3 weeks from Renegades to teams outside the perceived top 8.

How many times does a team have to lose to teams ranked below them before they actually take a visible hit in their ranking?

• Downvote (-1) 2

At this point all the "analysis" on power rankings just becomes white noise.

Please tell me I'm not alone.

People just want their favorite teams to be ranked higher, or you know their employers to be ranked higher so they can keep their job.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 11

People just want their favorite teams to be ranked higher, or you know their employers to be ranked higher so they can keep their job.

Yeah, I'm sure orgs really look at these power rankings as barometers for who to hire/fire. Right  :kappa:

You serious bruh?  :apg:

• Upvote (+1) 5

Yeah, I'm sure orgs really look at these power rankings as barometers for who to hire/fire. Right  :kappa:

You serious bruh?  :apg:

Bruh it's me the last time I was serious I was casting Halo 4 Infection at an MLG tournament. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

We should Power Rank Org logos so we can get the guy at E6 fired for such a lame logo.

• Upvote (+1) 4

No RNG in the Beyond tourny today? Lame.

Not that I agree or disagree with Ninja's priorities but I wonder if the fewer amount of hours played on H5 will have any affect on his stats.

• Upvote (+1) 1

RNG vs CLG tonight.

Won't be around, but I'm looking forward to catching up on the results later.

No RNG in the Beyond tourny today? Lame.

Not that I agree or disagree with Ninja's priorities but I wonder if the fewer amount of hours played on H5 will have any affect on his stats.

Im wondering the same too, considering pro league is less than a week away.  Im wondering the same about ALG as well.

maybe they will pick it up this week.

I'm not sure how many times I will have to clarify this, but the power rankings absolutely 100% do not "only look within the scope of a week". I'll repeat myself for emphasis: the power rankings don't look at performances week by week in a vacuum. Quite frankly, that would be absolutely insane and outright pretty worthless.

Just like in power rankings of sports, there is a sense of persistence (the Warriors weren't considered a middle-of-the-lack team after losing to the Lakers, CLG wouldn't immediately drop if they suddenly started losing a scrim or two) and a respect to general trends (the Bengals struggle a ton in primetime, Elumnite raises the general performance of the team he coaches(.

Think of the power rankings like this: how would teams perform if a LAN event sprouted out of the ground at the end of the power ranking period. Last week, some of us (myself and Infinity) think the lack of practice on Allegiance's end the past two weeks was more detrimental then the overall trend of some of those members to completely dominate on LAN. Others (Clicked and Simms) remain optimistic of their capabilities despite the recent lack of practice.

This is how power rankings have always worked. "Given each team's recent performance, how would teams do if the playoffs started today".

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm concerned for RNG with Ninja not playing Halo as much as others are, he seems to be playing H1Z1 more than Halo as of now. 
I've been out of the loop for a while though, so I wouldn't really know but this scrim vs CLG today will most likely go CLG's way with ease. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So what I gathered is that 6 of the 8 current Summer Pro League teams automatically qualify for Fall Pro League? And the 7th and 8th place teams still have a 50% chance of making it to Fall Pro League, dependent on a series/match against the top 2 AM teams?

Not sure if I'm a fan. It's gonna end up being 7 or 8 of the same 8 teams for next season's Pro League.