CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

A hidden message about No Radar in a sarcastic post about radar being bad..

..you're evolving.   :simms:

Every crouching auto kill makes me stronger

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo5arena is one of the best things to happen for pro Halo scrims, and I can honestly say it has improved me as a player.

The tools and stats it provides are very helpful.  And charas keeps adding more by request.  As long as it's within his power, he adds it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

why are the grenade damage percentages so low? 

I can only guess its because grenades dont usually kill until a lot of damage has already been done by other weapons.  Or the calculation is wrong.

Edit: the calculation has to totally be wrong

So we know the groups for the LCQ. What do we think of everyone's chances to place out of groups?

Personally, I would say something like this is likely...

GROUP A

• Team Liquid - I think it's pretty clear this is the best team in the group. Them not coming out as the #1 seed here would be a failure in my mind
  • Insert Org Here - I think this slot is a total toss up between Clown Fiesta, but I like to see that Insert Org Here (wtf this name) has been getting a lot of games in over the past few days. Clown Fiesta hasn't really had a blow out scrim against any of the LCQ teams, so it doesn't exactly make me confident in them.
GROUP B
  • Optic - Fanboying a bit here, but I don't think they'll let themselves tilt out of the #1 slot of this group. Been putting up good numbers in scrims but attitude wise hasn't been great. We'll see what happens.
  • Elevate - Tempting to look at a team like Twisted Fate in this slot since they have veterans as well, but I just don't see them going through.
GROUP C
  • Catastrophe - I can't in good faith put Catastrophe as second in this group due to their path to get here, but I would've liked to see them scrimming more leading up to the LCQ.
  • French Toast Mafia - Having beat Soul Red before, and pulling a couple blow-out scrims, I like French Toast Mafia to do it again. Seeing a one sided scrim among these "AM" level LCQ teams bumps em up quite a bit in my book.
GROUP D - The Weakest Group

Honestly sad to see the teams fell where they did. Unfortunately I think that group D would all fall if they had some stronger opponents in the mix. That being said...

• Crowd Control
  • Pnda Gaming

I guess not that controversial, but I would love to hear some other people's opinions on these players. Don't know a ton on lots of these teams. Seem to be a lot of conflicting scrim results with a lot of them doing short series with each other.

Honestly pretty upset that we couldn't get an LCQ LAN, mainly because I'd like to see how the veterans that haven't gotten a chance truly perform at an event. LAN Tsquared is a lot different from online Tsquared, same with Crysteria and the other vets. I'd also like to see Trippey and crew prove themselves, because I think if they don't end up on Optic's side of the bracket they've got a good shot to qualify.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Honestly pretty upset that we couldn't get an LCQ LAN, mainly because I'd like to see how the veterans that haven't gotten a chance truly perform at an event. LAN Tsquared is a lot different from online Tsquared, same with Crysteria and the other vets. I'd also like to see Trippey and crew prove themselves, because I think if they don't end up on Optic's side of the bracket they've got a good shot to qualify.

Yeah I think everyone wishes every tournament, Pro League, etc was on LAN, but it just isn't going to happen if we want to have more consistent Halo action. Too much of a cost to either orgs or 343.

Since Pro League will be online, I'm honestly okay with it. That being said, this is about as good of a tournament setup for these veterans to keep their teams together. Double Elim groups followed by Double Elim bracket.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Am I the only one who takes exception to this style of Halo? MORE ar's and melees? 

"Hey man, I'm glad that you're a god with the precision weapons that require skill, but you need to learn to spam autos and melee people more often" - 343

If anything, this game makes more sense than any other Halo in this aspect. It's pretty stupid to be using a BR in close quarters combat. If someone wants to try to AR you down from mid-long range, good luck. If im heading into an area I know is restricted and close range, I deserve to die if I have a BR or pistol out.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If anything, this game makes more sense than any other Halo in this aspect. It's pretty stupid to be using a BR in close quarters combat. If someone wants to try to AR you down from mid-long range, good luck. If im heading into an area I know is restricted and close range, I deserve to die if I have a BR or pistol out.

You are 100% right for this game, but why are we rewarding people for having the right gun out instead of rewarding people for having superior aiming skills. 

Imo with 2 equal opponents who engage each other in CQC, the guy that hits every shot perfectly with a precision should kill the guy with an auto 100% of the time. The skill would come from strafing and aiming, instead of who had the right gun out.

PS our names are too damn similar to be arguing lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

Someone being better on LAN than they are online is no longer relevant or an acceptable excuse considering how much of Halo eSports going forward will be online. It's unfortunate but true.

Halo eSports needs more meaningful LAN events (the last two felt very insignificant to me).

• Upvote (+1) 2

You are 100% right for this game, but why are we rewarding people for having the right gun out instead of rewarding people for having superior aiming skills. 

Imo with 2 equal opponents who engage each other in CQC, the guy that hits every shot perfectly with a precision should kill the guy with an auto 100% of the time. The skill would come from strafing and aiming, instead of who had the right gun out.

PS our names are too damn similar to be arguing lol

To play devil's advocate somewhat; aiming skill isn't the only skill in the game.

It isn't entirely a case of just 'who had the right weapon out at the right time', if you don't have an automatic weapon equipped you should try and avoid CQC. Positioning and movement around the map are very important skills as well. The best players/teams are the ones who are able to pick and choose their encounters based on superior positioning and available weaponry by knowing when and where to push and when to fall back etc.  

• Upvote (+1) 4

It doesn't make sense for easier weapons to have an advantage against players with the best gun skill in the game.

• Upvote (+1) 5

It would also be stupid to use a br in close combat if we spawned with shotguns. That doesn't mean it would be competitive to make us spawn with shotguns

• Upvote (+1) 7

Someone being better on LAN than they are online is no longer relevant or an acceptable excuse considering how much of Halo eSports going forward will be online. It's unfortunate but true.

Halo eSports needs more meaningful LAN events (the last two felt very insignificant to me).

I think they will come. I can see something like Mid Season LANs. 

Plus I really think the next HWC will feel a LOT more intense. Think about it, we will have had 2 full seasons of Pro League by this point. It'll drive teams to find consistent scrim schedules, produce results week by week, and we will have accurate seeding. Not flukey online single elim cups and whatnot.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It doesn't make sense for easier weapons to have an advantage against players with the best gun skill in the game.

It doesn't make sense in a world where aiming skill is the only thing emphasized i.e. your world.

Dipping out before everything turns to dogshit in this thread.

tumblr_lyqfda2A2x1qer569o1_500.gif

2l8

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

To play devil's advocate somewhat; aiming skill isn't the only skill in the game.

It isn't entirely a case of just 'who had the right weapon out at the right time'. Positioning and movement around the map are very important skills as well. If you don't have an automatic weapon equipped you should try and avoid CQC. The best players/teams are the ones who are able to pick and choose their encounters based on superior positioning and available weaponry by knowing when and where to push and when to fall back etc.  

I'm not saying that precisions should win 100% of the time, I'm saying they should win in similar positions 100% of the time. If I outflank you and start opening up from behind with an AR, the guy that got outflanked should die every time. I'm saying that if you're camping around a corner, and we both open up at the same time, the guy with the precision should win if he hits all his shots. Right now, the smg or ar or storm will win 100% unless the auto user fucks up catastrophically.

I just want people to be rewarded for having a crisp, consistent precision usage instead of being forced to increase their time spent using autos.

basically

precision > auto in straight up duel situations (ie rewarding precision weapon skill, which is harder to master)

movement > gun choice in flanking situation (ie flanking should get the kill no matter the weapon unless the flanker fucks up hard)

It doesn't make sense in a world where aiming skill is the only thing emphasized i.e. your world.

I didn't say that. The fact that you have to make such a drastic exaggeration of my argument speaks for itself.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I didn't say that. The fact that you have to make such a drastic exaggeration of my argument speaks for itself.

tumblr_lk7wxppi9b1qgfy7vo1_500.gif

Lets be fair you didn't really make a point, you made a statement and left it pretty open ended:

Your emphasis is on gun skill is it not, or am I not reading between the lines enough here? BTW I'm really really not arsed about discussing this here, there's just very clearly two sides to the story.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

For those who think that pistol only starts would make the game only about aiming and not about positioning, let me give you a scenario:

Player A and Player B have equal aiming skill and get in a fight. Player A has most of his body behind cover in an elevated position and Player B is in the open. Do you really think this is an equal fight or is Player A likely to be rewarded by his POSITIONAL GAMEPLAY?

CLG 1st. Royal 2 for best k/d

• Upvote (+1) 6

Snakebite - "Halo 5 takes the most skill out of every Halo since Halo 3"

For context, he said he was talking only about the games that he has played competitively at the highest level, which are Halo 3, Reach, 4, 2A, and 5. 

He also said that H2A takes the least skill, take that as you will pertaining to how he would feel about the original H2 if he played it competitively.

For those who think that pistol only starts would make the game only about aiming and not about positioning, let me give you a scenario:

Player A and Player B have equal aiming skill and get in a fight. Player A has most of his body behind cover in an elevated position and Player B is in the open. Do you really think this is an equal fight or is Player A likely to be rewarded by his POSITIONAL GAMEPLAY?

FWIW, I haven't made any kind statement about the removal of autos.

This is what I was getting at when I said

basically

precision > auto in straight up duel situations (ie rewarding precision weapon skill, which is harder to master)

movement > gun choice in flanking situation (ie flanking should get the kill no matter the weapon unless the flanker fucks up hard)

lol Snipedown just wanted to give a compliment and the thread has descended into hell because if it.

:mj: helpme 

• Upvote (+1) 1