CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I thought this idea had so much potential, I had to tweet at him.

This is too good of an opportunity for him to miss, you can convert a decent amount of people with a well put together video explaining Competitive Halo.

It's not like it would be a time consuming video to make either. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

i said this a while ago before i was a frequent poster on Team Beyond.

Ninja has series Kobe syndrome. and no that does not mean i think ninja is the greatest of all time. When Kobe Bryant (basketball player) was in his prime, he would shoot and be over aggressive and challenge his opponents at the rim, sometimes in double coverage. Some nights kobe would shoot the ball 40 times ( THATS A LOT) and only make 15 shots, but his team would win and all would be forgiven, but when Kobe would shoot 40 shots and lose which in his prime did not happen often, the media would GRILL him for playing too aggressive. Kobe won 5 championships once he got the right pieces around him.I think Ninja has surrounded himself with the right pieces, and if they stick together have series potential. Ninja has to be so mentally strong being as popular as he is, and i commend him for being able to take all the good with all the bad. I love @@Ninja for his halo ability and his mental toughness when it comes to handling criticism from the entire community when he plays "bad". 

If you stuck around after RNG scrims last night you could hear in their voices that they want to get better not just settle. 

If you had said Ninja had Jordan syndrome, then maybe we would have thought you meant greatest of all time.

I thought this idea had so much potential, I had to tweet at him.

This is too good of an opportunity for him to miss, you can convert a decent amount of people with a well put together video explaining Competitive Halo.

MkaEmh7.gif

thanks lol! but yeah that was my thinking, it could really be effective (if done well) and it would be one of the easier/less time consuming videos he's made in a while

Str8 Sick would be awesome, but I want to get somebody who competes at the Burbank LAN. Events like this naturally steer the conversation, instead of me digging up old information to target the questions at old material. Make sense?

Isn't he competing at the Burbank LAN?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Str8 Sick would be awesome, but I want to get somebody who competes at the Burbank LAN. Events like this naturally steer the conversation, instead of me digging up old information to target the questions at old material. Make sense?

Yea where you been? Str8 Sick is on Optic. Theyll be at the LAN.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is a lot of tech stuff I'm not sure of but me and my friends were together the night of release (there were 4 of us). We were all wired and it was fine, no drops or anything, but we were only playing the campaign.

Well I envy you for having good internet and a decent router. The technical stuff is mostly if you experience ping spikes in games or drops. You should be fine unless this is a problem for you.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does the pope shit in the woods?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more Like?

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Done.

Also @ is borked, that's why it isn't showing.

Lifestyle conformed to be an @
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Isn't he competing at the Burbank LAN?

Yea where you been? Str8 Sick is on Optic. Theyll be at the LAN.

Can you guys do me a favor and forget I said that?

I mixed up Suspector and Str8 for some reason. I've had a long week.

Ultimately it all comes down to who qualifies. I think the talent from teams 2-8 create an environment where ANYBODY can beat ANYBODY, so we'll see on Sunday:)

• Upvote (+1) 1

After leaving h5 to play in an h2 mcc league for 3 months it amazes me that halo 5 still has gametypes like empire strongholds and the smg/storm rifle/splinter nades still exist. Game could be so much better. The maps in h5 are also pretty terrible

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 2

6 pages of interview/answers without double space in size 11 font from @.

Fuck.

I'll have it live in a bit everybody!

• Upvote (+1) 3

6 pages of interview/answers without double space in size 11 font from @.

Fuck.

I'll have it live in a bit everybody!

I just saw your name had an L in the first word, now I can stop pronouncing it as "FizzyFeltch" in my head. Sometimes I hate being an idiot.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I just saw your name had an L in the first word, now I can stop pronouncing it as "FizzyFeltch" in my head. Sometimes I hate being an idiot.

I think thats my fault tbh. People call me FizzyFletch ALL the time. :wutface:

I think thats my fault tbh. People call me FizzyFletch ALL the time. :wutface:

Hahaha. Let's forget that I accidentally spelt Fletch wrong in my post   :huh:

My main gripe (right now at least, mainly the reason I've been trash talking @@Cratos today) has been the fact that I'm actually pretty upset about the teams that have formed for this season.

I genuinely don't believe that most of these teams even slightly believe they're competing for 2nd at this point. The only teams that even remotely seem like they **formed** with the idea that they could possibly win an event were EG, RNG, and Liquid (shocker to some, maybe). Liquid may not be performing to their potential yet, but I believe that those on the team believe that they can take down CLG.

I believe that all the teams WANT to win, but I really doubt most of these lower caliber teams actually think to themselves, late at night as the stare at the ceiling trying to sleep, that they think they can win with these rosters.

Like @@Cratos, what placing do you genuinely believe you're going to achieve this season? Do you think you're going to go into the Playoffs higher than the 3rd seed? The same criticism goes to most of the other teams now. Where does 2gre think he's gonna place with Denial? I get that there's the thrill of competing, but it seems like people have lost the drive to beat the best.

The only team that's not quite top 3 right now but believes they can win is nV, and while I don't believe they'll pull it off (even though it'd be awesome to see), I respect the fact that they think they can win and play like they should be winning.

I realize this is poorly written, but this is a problem that I know can't just be bothering me. There are so many potential teams to be made that could be absolutely amazing, but aren't being made due to reasons unknown. Loyalty among some players to stick together? Lack of drive to win but looking to grab some cash? Or maybe it's just due to how short the offseason was. But god damn do I want this season to be more competitive as it could be, but I just don't see it happening.

And I'm sorry to anyone I offend or irritate with this post. Maybe I just don't see what you guys see in these rosters. But maybe suboptimal teams are what we'll see all season long.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Hahaha. Let's forget that I accidentally spelt Fletch wrong in my post   :huh:

I'm cool with FizzyFletch. Not cool with FizzyFelch. :apg:

• Upvote (+1) 2

My main gripe (right now at least, mainly the reason I've been trash talking @@Cratos today) has been the fact that I'm actually pretty upset about the teams that have formed for this season.

I genuinely don't believe that most of these teams even slightly believe they're competing for 2nd at this point. The only teams that even remotely seem like they **formed** with the idea that they could possibly win an event were EG, RNG, and Liquid (shocker to some, maybe). Liquid may not be performing to their potential yet, but I believe that those on the team believe that they can take down CLG.

I believe that all the teams WANT to win, but I really doubt most of these lower caliber teams actually think to themselves, late at night as the stare at the ceiling trying to sleep, that they think they can win with these rosters.

Like @@Cratos, what placing do you genuinely believe you're going to achieve this season? Do you think you're going to go into the Playoffs higher than the 3rd seed? The same criticism goes to most of the other teams now. Where does 2gre think he's gonna place with Denial? I get that there's the thrill of competing, but it seems like people have lost the drive to beat the best.

The only team that's not quite top 3 right now but believes they can win is nV, and while I don't believe they'll pull it off (even though it'd be awesome to see), I respect the fact that they think they can win and play like they should be winning.

I realize this is poorly written, but this is a problem that I know can't just be bothering me. There are so many potential teams to be made that could be absolutely amazing, but aren't being made due to reasons unknown. Loyalty among some players to stick together? Lack of drive to win but looking to grab some cash? Or maybe it's just due to how short the offseason was. But god damn do I want this season to be more competitive as it could be, but I just don't see it happening.

And I'm sorry to anyone I offend or irritate with this post. Maybe I just don't see what you guys see in these rosters. But maybe suboptimal teams are what we'll see all season long.

You might be putting too much stock in on-paper, pre-H5 notions of who is good. There are a lot of nasty players who might not look great on paper because they're newer to the scene.

What team would you create if you could pick anyone? 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You might be putting too much stock in on-paper, pre-H5 notions of who is good. There are a lot of nasty players who might not look great on paper because they're newer to the scene.

What team would you create if you could pick anyone?

There's no ideal team that I can think of, mainly because chemistry between players is huge and playstyles between great players can either mesh or contradict. But my issue is that the teams we have now just aren't the best teams we could have. The level of competition we could have could be on part with H3 with the number of top tier players, but it isn't and that is a huge problem.

And I wouldn't say I'm taking much pre-H5 notions, since I put Liquid near the top due to the fact that all these new players are fucking awesome.

I think this is part of a larger conversation that I've read here from time-to-time, regarding gaming as a profession, and how to mentally approach it as such.

A lot of the contemporary infrastructure in professional sports -- like sports psychologists and experienced coaching staffs -- are cost-prohibitive for gaming.

To study things on your own, like controlling your mentality through adversity, taking losses productively, concise and effective criticism vs. externalizing blame, takes a lot of self-discipline.

Let's be honest, the players are mostly kids who are on average just out of high school or college. Most have spent 8+ hours a day grinding video games for the last several years. This is not a habit that tends to breed self-discipline in any way, actually the opposite.

There are some great people in Halo, but I think it's fairly evident that almost all 'pros' do not treat playing halo like a real professional would treat their job. If I approached my job like 'pros' treat scheduled content creation and structured practice regimens, I would certainly be fired. I think a lot of the older guys on here, especially those who support families and deal with real debt, get a kick out of the attitude of entitlement that some in the scene have. I know I do.

It is an incredible time to be in e-sports as an industry. Twitch has blown up, TV and other traditional media platform marketing cannot get 18-35 male attention at all, and e-sports keeps us glued for hours on end.

But the money is in the content. You make money by making people pay attention to advertisements in some way, shape, or form.

This is why Optic is king. They act as content creators first, and that is what makes them money. More people watch their stuff when they win, but the innate monetary value is in the ability for consumers to feel like they know them as individuals. Almost all marketing now is lifestyle branding and "social influencers."

Thus the path to making money (and a life out of gaming) is branding the lifestyle. Winning is the coolest, but if you're not portraying a cool lifestyle in a bunch of different ways on a bunch of different platforms,why would real brands pay to align with you? Who attracts more views, CLG or Optic?

Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Periscope, Podcasts, Twitch, YouTube, etc. How many Halo 'pros' do you know that leverage these content platforms cohesively in order to maintain a presence in potential consumer / fan mental space -- at a time when we're more distracted than ever?

I don't mean to say it as if I don't appreciate :beyond: and the work amazing people in the community do.

Like I said, a lot of the players are kids, at best young adults. I just think it's a bit tragic to be on the cusp of building an amazing life for yourself in an emerging market, and a lot of guys who play treat it like a job at McD's.

See it for the opportunity it is.

Love this post man.

• Upvote (+1) 2