CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I am not saying that the casters we currently have are not good, but they are definitely not the best we could have and for multiple reasons.

The only person who is an ACTUAL caster is Goldenboy who is a caster for multiple games, but even goldenboy does not follow scrims and know the meta of halo 5. Walshy was one of the best casters for the FIRST halo 5 tournament because he was playing it every single day and following scrims religiously, he knew the current meta and brought a necessary skillset to the halo commentary booth. 

Almost every halo caster has another job that is NOT casting... IMO that is not ok. Andy does not watch scrims every night and study gameplay and breakdown what are the best strats, Strongside does not do that, goldenboy does not do that, simms MIGHT I feel he has the most presence in streams but he is EU so he is in bed and probably does not catch the scrims. 

You look at the league casters and they at least SEEM like they almost know the game better then the pros. They can break down every single play perfectly and never stumble over their words and say (what I call) "Filler commentator phrases" like "this is what they do" or "they are unstoppable" without giving reason.

I can go so much more in depth but I just kind of want to see what you guys think as well, I believe @@Commonly is right about the casters. 

COMPLETELY agree. There was a reason why watching Ghandi, Walshy, and T2 (on rare occasion) commentate Halo 3 was awesome. Same with Halo 2 Anniversary, they understood how the game was played and their commentary was interesting. 

In my opinion, the ONLY person capable of giving an insightful breakdown of gameplay and the current meta would be Towey. I wish they would pull him into the booth more. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

We need more Walshy, and Puckett.

Walshy was not updated at all at worlds with the current Meta. Puckett also was not aware of Halo 5 just because it was so new to MLG :/

• Upvote (+1) 5

I am not saying that the casters we currently have are not good, but they are definitely not the best we could have and for multiple reasons.

The only person who is an ACTUAL caster is Goldenboy who is a caster for multiple games, but even goldenboy does not follow scrims and know the meta of halo 5. Walshy was one of the best casters for the FIRST halo 5 tournament because he was playing it every single day and following scrims religiously, he knew the current meta and brought a necessary skillset to the halo commentary booth. 

Almost every halo caster has another job that is NOT casting... IMO that is not ok. Andy does not watch scrims every night and study gameplay and breakdown what are the best strats, Strongside does not do that, goldenboy does not do that, simms MIGHT I feel he has the most presence in streams but he is EU so he is in bed and probably does not catch the scrims. 

You look at the league casters and they at least SEEM like they almost know the game better then the pros. They can break down every single play perfectly and never stumble over their words and say (what I call) "Filler commentator phrases" like "this is what they do" or "they are unstoppable" without giving reason.

I can go so much more in depth but I just kind of want to see what you guys think as well, I believe @@Commonly is right about the casters. 

T2 could be our guy if he faceplants in his attempt to make pro league. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

T2 should be casting everything when he isn't competing. Plays the game at a very high level and is good in front of a camera. Plus he's a legend. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

snip

I dont disagree but you cannot expect someone to watch scrims for a living it's just not feasible at this point.

The casters have come a long way over the past year imo

Walshy's overrated for H5. 

ok? better than what we're dealing with now and he'd be most likely to improve.

Until 343 hires casters full time instead of the usual contractor one off event deals it will be more of the same.

It's also not exactly what I would call "efficient" to hire a full time employee who is used once every 3 months to cast LAN events, I guess they could be utilized for an online pro league, but it would be hard to sell: we need to hire this person to watch gameplay everyday and cast events every once in a while.

Not saying the current casting lineup isn't good, because it is - but to get that extreme in came knowledge we need people who aren't casting Halo one week, COD the next, and some other game the week after that.

Bravo is the closest thing to a "full time caster" but not really because he is doing 10 other jobs.

• Upvote (+1) 5

That overkill by Suspector made my day. 

Anybody who thought it as a bad move to pick him up is crazy. Just give it a little more time.  

We need more Walshy, and Puckett.

Puckett doesn't even play Halo anymore, why would he be a better caster than Goldenboy or Bravo?

Strongside just orgasmed after that Suspector overkill lmao  :walshy:

ALso, Good game. Great weekend for NV but even better one for EG.

yeah but aside from just playing the game and watching scrims, what can casters do to get better with the limited time they have (given that this is a hobby for them, not a job)? Goldenboy tweeted a few months ago that casting pays very little, if someone wanted to spend time getting better at casting they can't really leave their current job and focus solely on casting without losing almost all of their income

exactly this. People keep on comparing our commentators to league and cs commentators but those guys treat that shit as a full time job. They can actually earn a decent income from commentating while halo commentators are doing it for petty cash. Obviously when its your main source of income you're going to be more dedicated to perfecting your craft. 

I dont disagree but you cannot expect someone to watch scrims for a living it's just not feasible at this point.

The casters have come a long way over the past year imo

If you're going to be casting something I think it should be part of your job to prepare. That means watching some recent scrims and studying who you'll be commentating.

That doesn't mean you need to spend every hour watching twitch streams and quit your job though.

I also think we also need to look at new casters more often and not always rely and what we'very always done, or always use old pro players. Some are greathe, some aren't. But if we didn't look at new people we wouldn't have guys like Simms who have been key to improving our level of castong recently.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Good performance from EG but I think this result would have been the same with Commonly and the WC result would have been the same with Suspector. CLG is so far ahead as a 4, that the 3 of Roybox/Snipedown will always be slightly behind them IMO no matter who the fourth is, other than maybe a full potential Ola and a lot of grinding.  

Until 343 hires casters full time instead of the usual contractor one off event deals it will be more of the same.

It's also not exactly what I would call "efficient" to hire a full time employee who is used once every 3 months to cast LAN events, I guess they could be utilized for an online pro league, but it would be hard to sell: we need to hire this person to watch gameplay everyday and cast events every once in a while.

Not saying the current casting lineup isn't good, because it is - but to get that extreme in came knowledge we need people who aren't casting Halo one week, COD the next, and some other game the week after that.

Bravo is the closest thing to a "full time caster" but not really because he is doing 10 other jobs.

If the job description is watch scrims and travel every couple of months, I'm in

:kappa: