CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

So how do the Grand Finals work? What's the series at right now?

I tuned in recently, but this is how i believe it works: 

right now, it's EG 2-2 nV in a best of 7. If EG wins, they win the event. If nV wins, they play another best of 7 (since it's double elim). The winner of that is the winner of the event. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

My dog was so hyped for this BO7 that he started running loony around the living room, hit the radiator with his arse and knocked it off the wall.

sleeping-dog-running.gif

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Is there a reason they don't play assault? Has it not been added yet or already removed?

Ola was carrying that game but it was not enough. :mj:

I feel like if he was overwatching top mid instead of staying in treehouse, he could have helped whoever on his team was trying to pull the flag and maybe they could have tied it up and sent it into overtime. But oh well. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

My dog was so hyped for this BO7 that he started running loony around the living room, hit the radiator with his arse and knocked it off the wall.

If he looked at his radar he would of seen the radiator was behind him.  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 6

Does anyone know when Roster Lock is? Still holding onto my BuBu PreDev Contra Ryanoob dream

somebody said it was thur earlier

What are you talking about?

You know more about me than I do!

Your tweets: "i dont like when casters just say stuff just to say stuff." (referring to the aggressive/passive thing, as explained by the tweets thereafter from your fellow pros and your "I'm a passive platypus" tweet) and "Why is goldenboy putting so much emphasis on suspector performing well? its not him that needs to"

I think I explained pretty nicely what my issue was with the first tweet, you could just reread my post. In regards to the second one (which I hope is not as passive aggressive as it sounds, because it very much seems to be a jab at one of the guys in the core 3 of EG), you're quarreling with the accuracy of a narrative again when the accuracy isn't meant to be scrutinized. Being the new 4th to the core 3 of EG, it is very natural for the casters to paint a picture in which the pressure falls on him to give the team what it needs.

just wondering how you can make the fair assumption that EG is better? They beat NV 3-2 and Optic 4-0. You think that's enough to make that conclusion right now? (serious question not trying to be rude)

I wasn't actually stating that, it was just my characterization of the narrative being put forth by the casters. It may or may not be true.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 7

this is is a few pages late but it just occurred to me, I think part of the problem with casters not knowing the finer points of the meta game stuff comes from a lack of regular showings. Once pro league starts I wouldn't be surprised to see that improve.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is the general consensus that on fathom flag you want your opponents spawning silo? That seems so wrong to me. It's so easy to push across and why we see so many flag standoffs on fathom. Wouldn't trying to force an SMG spawn be better? that way they have to push out through their courtyard, into very dangerous areas, to stop the flag runs through submarine.

Is there a reason they don't play assault? Has it not been added yet or already removed?

I'm pretty sure we'll see it in future tournaments. I think ESL/343 just wants to give the players some time to practice it before it's officially implemented.

I can't say I understand the whole supporting one org for eSports, no matter the roster. I personally just follow aPG around hoping he'll beat Lxthul one of these days.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I still don't think NV is good enough at slayers :/, but sadly there aren't many left out there. They are a great OBJ team, but they still lack that backup slayer for Ola.

Just my opinion.

ehhh, I would rather the commentators be accurate than straight up making things up to force a narrative. Narratives are fun when they're meaningful. 

Hey man, I agree. But we're looking from the perspective of hardcore HCS followers, we're not the ones that *need* the narrative to enhance our experience because we already have our own ideas of the more accurate stories at play. The casual viewers don't have that, and so a familiar and simpler one is sorta created for them.

If this is true, WTH is TSM doing? This organization seems super-overrated: their CoD team is a non-factor (Pacman? LOL) and now we've got Randa's team supposedly representing this supposedly prestigious organization? What? 

Randa isn't a bad player...

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Which is probably why T2's casting last night was the best I have heard in a while.

He's really been putting in the hours playing the game and has so much experience in front of a camera, it made him a joy to work with last night.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I am not saying that the casters we currently have are not good, but they are definitely not the best we could have and for multiple reasons.

The only person who is an ACTUAL caster is Goldenboy who is a caster for multiple games, but even goldenboy does not follow scrims and know the meta of halo 5. Walshy was one of the best casters for the FIRST halo 5 tournament because he was playing it every single day and following scrims religiously, he knew the current meta and brought a necessary skillset to the halo commentary booth. 

Almost every halo caster has another job that is NOT casting... IMO that is not ok. Andy does not watch scrims every night and study gameplay and breakdown what are the best strats, Strongside does not do that, goldenboy does not do that, simms MIGHT I feel he has the most presence in streams but he is EU so he is in bed and probably does not catch the scrims. 

You look at the league casters and they at least SEEM like they almost know the game better then the pros. They can break down every single play perfectly and never stumble over their words and say (what I call) "Filler commentator phrases" like "this is what they do" or "they are unstoppable" without giving reason.

I can go so much more in depth but I just kind of want to see what you guys think as well, I believe @@Commonly is right about the casters. 

yeah but aside from just playing the game and watching scrims, what can casters do to get better with the limited time they have (given that this is a hobby for them, not a job)? Goldenboy tweeted a few months ago that casting pays very little, if someone wanted to spend time getting better at casting they can't really leave their current job and focus solely on casting without losing almost all of their income

• Upvote (+1) 2