CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

The best individuals from a larger group outperform the best individuals from a smaller group. This is commonly observed in statistics.

Commonly observed, but hardly a fact.  Go look at the long-standing Jamaican dominance in sprinting; coming from a nation of just ~3 million people.  Whats the explanation? That they just love running so much more over there?

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Seems silly but esports is being sold to the high school age. Astro for example, probably figures a bulk of their sales to come from parents looking to get their kid birthday or christmas presents etc. Now imagine an over sensitive mom catching wind that YP sponsors the game her little angel plays. Also, esports is trying hard to be recognized as legitimate and YP just isn't good in that pr sense. I'd probably do the same thing. 

https://twitter.com/budlightesports

I see ads for this on twitch recently

• Upvote (+1) 1

Commonly observed, but hardly a fact. Go look at the long-standing Jamaican dominance in sprinting; coming from a nation of just ~3 million people. Whats the explanation? That they just love running so much more over there?

Most of the best best athletes come from hardship as its their only outlet... Don't compare athletics to intellectual sports. And more importantly stop generalising and over simplifying everything Traaap :/ Oh and who do you want to win Pax? And who do you think is going to?
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Most of the best best athletes come from hardship as its their only outlet... Don't compare athletics to intellectual sports. And more importantly stop generalising and over simplifying everything Traaap :/ Oh and who do you want to win Pax? And who do you think is going to?

that overkill

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Don't compare athletics to intellectual sports.

Why not, they both require innate ability.  I cant take some random kid off the street and train him to be an elite chess player just like I cant take a random kid and train them to be an elite sprinter.

Could you not easily argue that top-level chess is an obsessive pursuit, therefore the reason why males are drawn towards it at a much higher frequency is because the male brain is factually proven to be more drawn towards obsessive behavior?  Just like ONLINE GAMING is obsessive by nature.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

do we need milk gifs to make a comeback to distract us from this gender talk?

I maded this for you.

u8Q6V9u.gif

• Upvote (+1) 1

Problem is Ghandi, is Ghandi, he was entertaining (comfortable on the camera), a notable figure in the halo community, people valued his opinion (especially the competitive community), he was funny, WAS NOT AFRAID TO SPEAK HIS MIND (he called out 343, AGL, pro's etc), had no problem securing pro's  to be appear on the show, there are not many people who can do what he did to the level he did it. 

Saucey or FranktheShow/u4ix(whatever he goes by) could have done this. More so Saucey because he probably follows competitive a lot more than Frank. My ideal scenario is T2 being Halo's Thorin.

Ha ha shit :( mods please delete above posts ^^^ bloody phone

Happens to the best of us man :kappa:

Saucey or FranktheShow/u4ix(whatever he goes by) could have done this. More so Saucey because he probably follows competitive a lot more than Frank. My ideal scenario is T2 being Halo's Thorin.

thorin is smart though

• Upvote (+1) 1

Most of the best best athletes come from hardship as its their only outlet... 

Jamaican sprinting dominance is at least partially explained by genetic factors, not simply environmental.  That is why Jamaican-born sprinters like Ben Johnson and Donovan Bailey, both of whom immigrated to Canada in their teens, were able to develop into world-class sprinters despite "hardship"...and they did it in a country that is hardly known for summer Olympic dominance.  Donovan Bailey was still a STOCKBROKER in 1994 when he finally started taking sprinting seriously, two years later he won the Olympic Gold medal in Atlanta.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

thorin is smart though

Well then... not saying your wrong, but god damn! No chill. 

In T2's defense, he competed in Halo at a high level and has also grinded Halo 5 a lot more than Walshy has. My picks are based on following, no BS personality, comfortable on camera and great Halo knowledge. I think T2 qualifies over anyone else.

• Upvote (+1) 1

We're not all PC warriors because we disagree with you. Women are vastly under-represented in chess. The best individuals from a larger group outperform the best individuals from a smaller group. This is commonly observed in statistics. You can think of it in terms of EU to NA players in halo if you want. The larger NA group has the best players. Is it because NA players are genetically superior to EU players? No. There is a larger group for good players to emerge from. This also leads to more LANs and other factors too.

There is no reason to believe that women can't play chess as well as men or are intellectually inferior to men. Even with the tiny percentage of women who play halo there are many women who can play extremely well which I think shows that women don't have a problem with reaction time either. Here's an article about women in chess that I found interesting too. http://scienceblogs.com/notrocketscience/2008/12/23/why-are-there-so-few-female-chess-grandmasters/

NA players are superior to EU players because EU players are isolated to only playing against each other, which lowers their ceiling. Women aren't isolated to playing against each other.

Edit: And the only area that EU players lack in is team play. The top EU players are on par individually with the top NA players.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Can we stop talking about this dumb shit? Holy Hell 11:30 AM tomorrow, you need to get here fast. 

Well then... not saying your wrong, but god damn! No chill. 

In T2's defense, he competed in Halo at a high level and has also grinded Halo 5 a lot more than Walshy has. My picks are based on following, no BS personality, comfortable on camera and great Halo knowledge. I think T2 qualifies over anyone else.

don't mind me i was just being cute

i think t2 is an appropriate comparison for sure 

also there's a melee event going on https://www.twitch.tv/beyondthesummit

https://www.twitch.tv/esportsarena

H5 4v4 going to start soon. Prototype, Str8 Sick, Commonly, OG Frosty are teaming in this. Probably more Cali locals as well, and T2 is casting and doing a great job.

Waiting for the fragging tips. Thanks.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Why not, they both require innate ability. I cant take some random kid off the street and train him to be an elite chess player just like I cant take a random kid and train them to be an elite sprinter.

Could you not easily argue that top-level chess is an obsessive pursuit, therefore the reason why males are drawn towards it at a much higher frequency is because the male brain is factually proven to be more drawn towards obsessive behavior? Just like ONLINE GAMING is obsessive by nature.

You missed the point again... AGAIN!!! do fathers teach their daughters to play chess as much as their sons??! No they don't... So some girl who's innately gifted will never learn to play CHESS due to the standards of society. While hundreds of Boys who aren't will. And worst of all she'll never play Halo either :( There could be all these hot female chess grand masters I could be playing Halo right now with!!! :( Except Traaap has to ruin it with his "it's factually" proven nonsense, without giving a source. Damn it!! all those hot Chess players that could of been playing Halo!!! ARGHHHHhhhhh!!!!!
  • Downvote (-1) 12

What did I just click into? Bunch of white guys talking about women's place in society/gaming.

We get enough of that in real life, I come here to talk about Halo and this thread is consistently disappointing recently.

Rent/Cost of living/drugs and now sexism. Come the fuck on Beyond, you're usually better than this.

Who do we think is going to win tomorrow? It's pretty up in the air at the moment, I'd like to see EG take it for the confidence boost, though OpTic winning it is good for the scene.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 2