CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Halo used to have a Thorin-like personality with Gandhi in the sense that he made very opinionated videos pertaining to major topics in the scene and was relatively uncensored. Of course he wasn't half the analyst Thorin is and he would say some fairly dumb things at times but it was still nice having a big personality like him creating content about his thoughts on stuff going on in the Halo scene. It stimulated interest and discussion in competitive halo outside of the forums.

Ever since he left there has been a pretty big opening left for someone else with a large Halo presence to take over and start making videos of that kind. I thought one of the current commentators would do it but that doesn't seem to be the case unfortunately. Just think there is a pretty important event going on tomorrow and there's no key figure making a prediction video of what they think is going to go down in each series or what the outcome will be. A fairly big missed opportunity if you ask me. 

:intel:  :intel:  :intel:  how u know my plans already..

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

My only problem with Gears is that you can't see the crosshair in spectator mode. Really dampens the viewing experience for me. But other than that I love the game and watching it.

Maybe Envy can win a four team tournament in 2 games this weekend at PAX?!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Besides you missed the point again Traaap. There's vastly more males in Chess than females, probably more than a hundred times. Until there's more females to the point it's near a quarter of the players of male dominated games... It's not scientific. The numbers and environmental factors have to be similar otherwise it's wrong by default. 

Chess is a historic game, you cant tell me that the reason why there has NEVER been a single female to ascend to the very top is due to simple misrepresentation.  Your argument would work if we were looking at averages which would be skewed by population size; I'm simply looking for ONE.  Talent and ability on a singular level rise above environment.  There are people like Albert Einstein who hardly came out of optimal educational environments, yet their sheer ability ultimately rose to the top.  Just like there are elite baseball players who grew up hitting a can with a stick in poverty-ridden environments, yet still managed to prosper whereas there are thousands of kids who experience high level coaching from young age and never make it past HS or College ball.

I dont need a 50/50 split of male and female chess players to conclude that males IN GENERAL have a higher capacity for the game, hence why you haven't seen a single female atop the mantle.  Not even one outlier.  Not even a rare occurrence by chance.

Are you going to tell me that the reason why there are no non-West African (ie: White, Asian) elite sprinters is because there simply "isn't enough data" LOL? Or can we come out with the obvious and state that West Africans dominate sprinting because they are by large genetically superior in the physical traits which lead to a higher potential when it comes to the skill of fast running.  We already know that male and female brains are different; you don't have to go all PC with this "we're all equal" crap.  We aren't all equal.

• Upvote (+1) 13
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Most of the time, I get the PC warrior jokes and love poking at the thought police.......I don't even get this one...

If I have to explain my sarcasm I guess I failed... 

Traap trying to get all 1990's empirical on us but this is 2016 where pop culture says gender is not based on physical traits... And we go further into the rabbit hole. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Gandhi was hot and cold for me. He made some good content but he also had some very opinionated outbursts and questionable commentary about things he probably didn't have the knowledge to speak about. Then he left Halo for CoD and essentially turned his back on Halo. Then he left CoD, down talked console eSports as a whole and then got hired on to make Smite a viable console eSports. I just don't know what to think of him.

Yeah I agree with that first part. He certainly made some videos on things he didn't really know much about. Especially when he was in that phase where he was a part of both the halo and cod community, his knowledge of things going on in the halo scene was quite lacking. He wasn't perfect but he did bring something unique to the halo community. 

The second thing you touched on about him leaving the halo scene is more of a critique of him as a person rather than a content creator. Like you, what he did didn't settle nicely with me either but that's really besides the point. I'm just trying to point out that there is spot left open that was once held by Gandhi to be sort of the Thorin of the Halo scene.  

:intel:   :intel:   :intel:  how u know my plans already..

:holmes: too laser focused I suppose  :simms:  

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo used to have a Thorin-like personality with Gandhi in the sense that he made very opinionated videos pertaining to major topics in the scene and was relatively uncensored. Of course he wasn't half the analyst Thorin is and he would say some fairly dumb things at times but it was still nice having a big personality like him creating content about his thoughts on stuff going on in the Halo scene. It stimulated interest and discussion in competitive halo outside of the forums.

Ever since he left there has been a pretty big opening left for someone else with a large Halo presence to take over and start making videos of that kind. I thought one of the current commentators would do it but that doesn't seem to be the case unfortunately. Just think there is a pretty important event going on tomorrow and there's no key figure making a prediction video of what they think is going to go down in each series or what the outcome will be. A fairly big missed opportunity if you ask me. 

Problem is Ghandi, is Ghandi, he was entertaining (comfortable on the camera), a notable figure in the halo community, people valued his opinion (especially the competitive community), he was funny, WAS NOT AFRAID TO SPEAK HIS MIND (he called out 343, AGL, pro's etc), had no problem securing pro's  to be appear on the show, there are not many people who can do what he did to the level he did it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

If I were to power rank ( :wink:) the Pax attendees I would go with this:

1. EG

2. E6

3. Nv

4. Optic

However, I think EG and E6 might end up being a tossup in the finals, as much as I want EG to win Bubu and Huke have played so well the only two other times we've seen them on lan.

Nv has been getting stomp out all week in scrims, their confidence must be at a all time low so I would put them at 4th and I'm going with E6 with the upset over EG.

Incoming New Topics/Threads:

Chess Pro League Teams, Seeds and Discussion

Female Pro League Teams, Seeds and Discussion

I can't wait!  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 3

Problem is Ghandi, is Ghandi, he was entertaining (comfortable on the camera), a notable figure in the halo community, people valued his opinion (especially the competitive community), he was funny, WAS NOT AFRAID TO SPEAK HIS MIND (he called out 343, AGL, pro's etc), had no problem securing pro's to be appear on the show, there are not many people who can do what he did to the level he did it.

Gandhi sure didn't have problem to color things as they were, but do you really think he would be like that if he was under a contract of some big org like 343 or Esl ? He would be as smooth as..well as he is right now under Hirez. The only thing left from the savage mode is Smite button layout named after him.

Gandhi sure didn't have problem to color things as they were, but do you really think he would be like that if he was under a contract of some big org like 343 or Esl ? He would be as smooth as..well as he is right now under Hirez.

:thinking:

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If I have to explain my sarcasm I guess I failed... 

Traap trying to get all 1990's empirical on us but this is 2016 where pop culture says gender is not based on physical traits... And we go further into the rabbit hole. 

Watch it. Some nutcase might get triggered and we don't want that. I get what you're saying though

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Chess is a historic game, you cant tell me that the reason why there has NEVER been a single female to ascend to the very top is due to simple misrepresentation.  Your argument would work if we were looking at averages which would be skewed by population size; I'm simply looking for ONE.  Talent and ability on a singular level rise above environment.  There are people like Albert Einstein who hardly came out of optimal educational environments, yet their sheer ability ultimately rose to the top.  Just like there are elite baseball players who grew up hitting a can with a stick in poverty-ridden environments, yet still managed to prosper whereas there are thousands of kids who experience high level coaching from young age and never make it past HS or College ball.

I dont need a 50/50 split of male and female chess players to conclude that males IN GENERAL have a higher capacity for the game, hence why you haven't seen a single female atop the mantle.  Not even one outlier.  Not even a rare occurrence by chance.

Are you going to tell me that the reason why there are no non-West African (ie: White, Asian) elite sprinters is because there simply "isn't enough data" LOL? Or can we come out with the obvious and state that West Africans dominate sprinting because they are by large genetically superior in the physical traits which lead to a higher potential when it comes to the skill of fast running.  We already know that male and female brains are different; you don't have to go all PC with this "we're all equal" crap.  We aren't all equal.

We're not all PC warriors because we disagree with you. Women are vastly under-represented in chess. The best individuals from a larger group outperform the best individuals from a smaller group. This is commonly observed in statistics. You can think of it in terms of EU to NA players in halo if you want. The larger NA group has the best players. Is it because NA players are genetically superior to EU players? No. There is a larger group for good players to emerge from. This also leads to more LANs and other factors too.

There is no reason to believe that women can't play chess as well as men or are intellectually inferior to men. Even with the tiny percentage of women who play halo there are many women who can play extremely well which I think shows that women don't have a problem with reaction time either. Here's an article about women in chess that I found interesting too. http://scienceblogs.com/notrocketscience/2008/12/23/why-are-there-so-few-female-chess-grandmasters/

• Upvote (+1) 9

:thinking:

You and Lemon put enough savage Sauce in my Halo. No bomb planed for a long time though.

I don't understand why there has to be a separate league for grills. It's not like men have a physical advantage like in other sports. Maybe it's just because the skill ceiling isn't as high due to a smaller player base. Whatever, this is OT anyway.

I am so sorry for what I have caused.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Chess is a historic game, you cant tell me that the reason why there has NEVER been a single female to ascend to the very top is due to simple misrepresentation. Your argument would work if we were looking at averages which would be skewed by population size; I'm simply looking for ONE. Talent and ability on a singular level rise above environment. There are people like Albert Einstein who hardly came out of optimal educational environments, yet their sheer ability ultimately rose to the top. Just like there are elite baseball players who grew up hitting a can with a stick in poverty-ridden environments, yet still managed to prosper whereas there are thousands of kids who experience high level coaching from young age and never make it past HS or College ball.

I dont need a 50/50 split of male and female chess players to conclude that males IN GENERAL have a higher capacity for the game, hence why you haven't seen a single female atop the mantle. Not even one outlier. Not even a rare occurrence by chance.

Are you going to tell me that the reason why there are no non-West African (ie: White, Asian) elite sprinters is because there simply "isn't enough data" LOL? Or can we come out with the obvious and state that West Africans dominate sprinting because they are on large genetically superior in the physical traits which lead to a higher potential when it comes to the skill of fast running. We already know that male and female brains are different; you don't have to go all PC with this "we're all equal" crap. We aren't all equal.

No we're not all equal, but society plays into factors you ignore. The reason why African Americans have succeeded in athletics above white Americans for the last 50 years is due concentration of interest and passion. There were few other outlets for African Americans to succeed in due to society, hence why the intensity to succeed is stronger. Now that things are becoming more equal in America it's less African American domination, and more Eastern Europians succeeding as the interest to succeed is higher. Intellectual sports are far more diverse as its something that relies far more on environment and education. Women for the last 50 years haven't had no where near as much possibilities as men, that's just the way it is. Until that changes... stop being an elitist Traaap!!! And please don't start that survival of the fitest crap, that's like saying the 60 odd people that survived Treblinka where just under 900,000 died survived due to superiority. It's fucking stupid, don't be so Bipolar in thinking... Now BACK TO HALO!!!!! giphy.gif
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 3

I agree, I believe eSports should take as many sponsors as they can.

I mean, they sponsor a womens CS:GO team, not many Orgs do that.

Scouting for new talent????

That was bad, I'll leave now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

that's like saying the 60 odd people that survived Treblinka where just under 900,000 died survived due to superiority.

Jennifer-Lawrence-gif-29.gif

Boys People the Halo, I beg, the Halo.

nV #1

• Upvote (+1) 3

I've never seen a thread get derailed so randomly, so often.

This thread is very much a free market. When our demand for :intel:  and pro play isn't met then it is replaced by the abundant supply of  :dank: memes and off topic shit posting. There's a reason why most of the stupid arguing and conversation goes on in the early-middle part of the day when nothing is really going on.

• Upvote (+1) 1