CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Our first show from UGC Studios will be live tonight with @@Spartan. 8pm cst twitch.tv/UGC 

The skewing on that subscribe button hurts  :kappa:

• Downvote (-1) 1

Hey man, I'm right there with you. I'm fortunate that I work in the gaming industry as a career, so I have the ability to post and frequent during my work days.

I was never ragging on you guys, or intended to come off in a negative fashion. I didnt mean the "you guys can handle it" statement negatively, simply offering to help out without trying to step on any of your toes if you were already working on it. Myself and most everybody on these forum boards come here for the same passions that you guys started this place with. What you guys do is much appreciated<3 Apologies if my message was not conveyed appropriately.

Np, but seriously if you ever want content pushed like awards and whatnot feel free to message us and we'll try and get back to you. If we miss it or don't response please message us on twitter.

I have the terrible habit of reading pm's on mobile and forgetting later too.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think anyone expecting H2 to be honest, but asking for 3 during a season doesn't seem like overkill.

Props to Che for responding though.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Rip the LAN dream

I mean he said there won't be as much as the old H2 days. MLG used to run 6 or 7 events a year back then. I'd be happy with 3 or 4 events and online pro league for placings.

• Upvote (+1) 2

All riptide needs is a weapon placement change.

Overgrowth SH is as fine as many other comp gametypes/maps. Better than empire SH

Torque is shit in every mode.

I agree re: Overgrowth and Riptide.

As for Torque I think that it need the central pistons on each side lane to be removed and the doorways leading to the corridors they fill from bottom mid to be opened and an object placed their to allow a jump up (can be done in forge). This allows for more transition between lanes and reduces the likelihood of getting into a cat and mouse fight around the central pillar because it adds another two points of egress to that room.

Beyond that the H2 BRs need to go and the DMR placement should be re-thought. Hammers can go, and the map actually needs some kind of genuine power weapon for Assault.

It can work, but would need a fair amount of adjustment to do so. I'm not willing to call it a lost cause though seeing as how Overgrowth went from sharing honours with Epitaph, Orbital, and Sword Base etc to being tolerable after fixing a few poor weapon placement decisions. If that can become tolerable then there's no excuse for Torque to not be able to manage the same thing.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Why not have the Pro League then MLG style combines to grow the scene run by third party contractors? Pros play online for the league but AMs get a chance to play at these non-pro LAN tournaments run by UGC/UMG/MES/etc. 343 could provide the server and some overwatch but the third party companies carry most of the financial burden.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Np, but seriously if you ever want content pushed like awards and whatnot feel free to message us and we'll try and get back to you. If we miss it or don't response please message us on twitter.

I have the terrible habit of reading pm's on mobile and forgetting later too.

Note taken! I'm sure I'll nag you sooner or later about something, so, catch you later!

• Upvote (+1) 1

3 is fine for a season IMO

They're so fucking expensive

Hwc: 1 open tourney for points (along with online qualifiers with better format than last), 1 regionals, 1 worlds

Hcs pro league: large open qualifier, 1 relegation, 1 finals

• Upvote (+1) 2

I mean he said there won't be as much as the old H2 days. MLG used to run 6 or 7 events a year back then. I'd be happy with 3 or 4 events and online pro league for placings.

People complain about the lack of LANs in a season, but since November 2014 we've had 11 major NA LANs, most of which had decent prize pools and one of which was the biggest console esports prize pool of all time. We've also had groundbreaking international events with prize pools bigger than those regions had ever seen. That's not bad if you ask me.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'd just like to comment on the whole budgets comment by Che.

Heres the problem, and I'm going to throw some ballpark numbers from personal experience.

Venue Rental: Anywhere from 10k-50k depending on size/location/demand.

Live Stream Production: 10k-30k-60k depending on quality/demand.

Staffing: Depends on Union space, contractors, and who's already on salaried payroll. Lets budget at 2-3k for the weekend.

Food/Beverage: 8k catering for 3 days. (Way cheaper options apply. Food trucks?) Again, depends on venue and options available.

Prize Money: 100k

Venue Production: Assuming its covered in the Venue Rental: 0k

Transportation of equipment and staff: 10k

I'd have to go into my invoices...which I'm not going to do, but I know for a fact I've missed at least 3-4 MAJOR big ticket items. My point is, this sort of stuff adds up dramatically, and fast. I Entirely understand what he's saying. Setting up events is very low reward compared to alternatives. If your goal is to get stream numbers and competitors and to appear to the most eyes possible...you can do that on a live stream online for a fraction of the price and 1/100th the headache. MLG HAD to do what they did back in the day because games simply did not have the exposure for eSports. Without MLG throwing 4-6 events a year, console eSports would never have gotten to where they did, at least not as fast. As soon as MLG had the platform to host online eSports, they did and threw the old model away. Genius.

It sucks for the fans and spectators that went to these events. No doubt...but its is and always will be a business.

I've said this a dozen times on here. Tournaments are a marketing tool. End of story.

"Why spend 150k for the same results as something that cost 15k.

EDIT: If you want some validity to my comments about pricing and setting up events, shoot me a PM and I'll link you to some of the events I've organized and executed. I've done literally every stage of the game from venue rentals to handing over the prize check.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Shoutout to @@CyReN for dashing my hopes and dreams starting this thread when there was no real news, contrary to what he said. 

I got excited then I was let down.  :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'm new here be gentle. 

Currently at full mast for Pro League, it's going to be delicious.

Pleasantly surprised by you at worlds. Fantastic job! Keep up the work m8!  :holmes:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm new here be gentle. 

I just want to let you know that your beard on stream was glorious.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm new here be gentle. 

Most underrated caster right here tbh

• Upvote (+1) 2

Long time lurker here. Decided to join the community now that we have a new thread!

To be honest, I don't think Ninja is staying with Renegades. Renegades twitter always retweet the tweets related to streams by their players, they did this all the time before Worlds with all their four Halo players, but after Worlds, you can see they retweeted Spartan/Stellur tweets several times, but they haven't do that with any of  Ninja's tweets. Now, I thought Spartan/Stellur were going to Allegiance to team with El Town and (Unlegit?), but maybe they decided to kept the Renegades organization instead of Allegiance?

Welcome to the hub of Halo!

Long time lurker here. Decided to join the community now that we have a new thread!

To be honest, I don't think Ninja is staying with Renegades. Renegades twitter always retweet the tweets related to streams by their players, they did this all the time before Worlds with all their four Halo players, but after Worlds, you can see they retweeted Spartan/Stellur tweets several times, but they haven't do that with any of  Ninja's tweets. Now, I thought Spartan/Stellur were going to Allegiance to team with El Town and (Unlegit?), but maybe they decided to keep the Renegades organization instead of Allegiance?

Quality detective work and excellent first post! 

Gonna be awkward now if Allegiance doesn't have a team after the spat with Naded...

• Upvote (+1) 1