CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Hello everyone. Short time lurker, first time poster.

Since I'm playing right now, I figured I'd describe the ping functionality real quick. It just makes your tag flash 4 times in a yellowish color, with a small icon above it. No sound or any other notification that I noticed.

If your teammate is off screen when they ping, it'll show up on the side. Also, you can only ping while alive, so I don't think we'll see "on my ping" become a thing.

This was way better than my first post.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Halo Pros:

I'm speaking on behalf of a well respected organization that's looking to pick up a new Halo team for the upcoming 2016 HCS season. This is a contracted and paid position and very much the real deal. If you're interested in discussing the opportunity for your team, DM me on Twitter @@FlizzyFletch or PM me here.

Halo Community:

If you know of any pros or teams that are looking for an opportunity like I mentioned, please refer them to me or me to them!

P.S: Its not Noble.

https://twitter.com/FlizzyFletch/status/717767845002653696

If it is reality check I am interested.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Single Elimination would've been a lot more bearable if they'd had map drafting for the series.

Everyone has strong gametypes and weak gametypes (Even CLG, who suck at Coliseum TS).

If the gametypes are decided before the round ever occurs, you're tipping the odds from "Best Team will Win" to "Better team on those specific gametypes will Win" -- which is really bad when there are no second chances.

The way drafting should work:

Bo5:

SH

Slayer

Flag

SH

Slayer

(Can swap SH/Flags and do 2 flags, but we have more SH maps, so I figured it was slightly better to do 2 SH)

Bo7

SH

Slayer

Flag

SH

Slayer

Flag

Slayer

Before the first map, each team bans one Strongholds.  That leaves two Strongholds maps open.  From there, team may pick either the map or the side for Game 1 Strongholds.  If we banned Empire and you banned Rig, then I could either pick Red Side, Blue Side, Plaza, or Eden.  If I picked Red Side, then you would pick Plaza or Eden (presumably, you'd pick Plaza because I picked Red Side, and you don't want to give me free OS control to start the game.)

Then for game 2... we have

Eden, Coliseum, Regret, Truth, Plaza, The Rig.  This time each team bans 2.  The two that remain are the pool of Slayers for a Bo5, and in the case of a Best of 7, the teams would re-ban for Game 7.  Each team bans 2...let's say Coliseum, Regret, Truth, and Plaza are banned.  If I pick Blue Side, you probably want The Rig because you'd spawn inside with the Sniper.  If I pick Eden, you probably want to pick Blue Side because of the favored access to initial power weapon spawns.

For Game 3, each team bans one Flag.  Since Flag gametypes are symmetrical, side is irrelevant.  There are currently only 3 flag gametypes, so once each team has selected which one will be banned, we only have one option remaining.

For Game 4, the team that won game 3 may ban one of the three remaining Strongholds gametypes.  The team that lost game 3 may then choose side or map.

For Game 5, the Slayer that was not picked or banned in Game 2 is selected.  The loser of Game 4 chooses which side they want.

For Game 6, the team that lost Game 5 chooses one of the two remaining flag games.

For Game 7, each team bans one Slayer map and then the picking team may select side or map from the remaining two that have not been played or banned.

In general, Game 1 should give first pick to higher seed, then each subsequent game should give picking rights to the team that lost the previous game -- this gives higher seed there ability to take advantage of their higher seed benefit in game 1, but then offers the lower seed the ability to try to "catch up" in subsequent games.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

The lower seeds are playing for the same amount of money.  The higher seeds already have a much higher probability of winning that money in a single-elim format, why should we increase their chances by giving them a losers bracket?

I realize this is important to people because these players aren't making a salary, but in the end, we're still talking about a competition here, not a charity.

Yea, I see where your coming from but at the same time i feel like single elim finds you the best team and that's it, where double elim gives a solid idea of who the actual top 8 teams are and how they stack up against each other.

It isn't a charity you're right. but it would still be a competition with a losers bracket. nobody is going to roll over and give up when the difference between 2 placings could be $100k+

Edit: Also increasing their chances at an accurate placing and prize pool for teams who dedicate such a huge amount of time to this game doesn't really seem like a bad thing to me.

The only real benefit to continuation is to ensure that teams that match eachother twice don't repeat gametypes. It isn't much different in practice than playing back-to-back series in the finals. I've always like double-elim/continuation due to how much better it is at giving placings that reflect the actual ability of the teams and allowed for the widest range of gametypes to be played. Not to mention every 11 game finals series is in contention for greatest finals of all time.

Yeah, 11-game finals are legendary, but they're also few and far between.  At least in single-elimination games, you know the teams will be even-up at some point.  

I like the continuation series idea in that you play other gametypes, but it's kind of funky when you get to the "Grand Finals" and magically the score is already 3 to 1, or something.

• Downvote (-1) 2

Are people really making scrim predictions now? 

We thirsty out here bruh.

giphy.gif

I read your post yesterday and took some time to think about it, I can definitely see how the daily scrim reviews/exports from twitch would diminish an audience for other content I create apart from my stream. I dont feel too burnt out from doing this yet and have been getting great reviews from people who are interested in the content but I'm not sure what the best way to move forward with this is. The gameplays are only 1 game at a time in length so I don't feel as if the length of each video is your main concern rather the amount of videos being constantly pushed out to subscribers that might over-saturate my channel with too many of these videos too frequently.

Do you think I should create a second channel for gameplay analysis/reviews/stream videos? What would be your suggestion or anyone else in here's opinion on this? I don't want to push out 10+ individual gameplays per day and then have the 1-2 videos per week that features a vlog or something else with our team end up getting lost amongst all these other videos or make people want to unsubscribe to the channel because there are too many gameplays.

I definitely appreciate the time it took for you to post here though, you bring up some really interesting points I hadn't considered and they are absolutely worth discussing for anybody who might be interested in creating content within our community.

I think what you have been doing is just fine. I suspect your vids are just not what the op commonly looks for.

• Upvote (+1) 2

What if the phone call last night was about team skins/emblems/etc. and the cut that the orgs/players will get :walshy:

• Upvote (+1) 5

I think what you have been doing is just fine. I suspect your vids are just not what the op commonly looks for.

@@Commonly is too OP to be coached by Towey anymore.  :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 4

I read your post yesterday and took some time to think about it, I can definitely see how the daily scrim reviews/exports from twitch would diminish an audience for other content I create apart from my stream. I dont feel too burnt out from doing this yet and have been getting great reviews from people who are interested in the content but I'm not sure what the best way to move forward with this is. The gameplays are only 1 game at a time in length so I don't feel as if the length of each video is your main concern rather the amount of videos being constantly pushed out to subscribers that might over-saturate my channel with too many of these videos too frequently.

Do you think I should create a second channel for gameplay analysis/reviews/stream videos? What would be your suggestion or anyone else in here's opinion on this? I don't want to push out 10+ individual gameplays per day and then have the 1-2 videos per week that features a vlog or something else with our team end up getting lost amongst all these other videos or make people want to unsubscribe to the channel because there are too many gameplays.

I definitely appreciate the time it took for you to post here though, you bring up some really interesting points I hadn't considered and they are absolutely worth discussing for anybody who might be interested in creating content within our community.  

I'll shoot you a PM later (playing new Update right now haha). A second channel isn't the right decision when you are just starting off but there is still room for Analysis in your content releases. 

Will go in-depth about it.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I mean. I looked it up. I dropped a 1.29 K/D and a 2.07 KA/D vs. Allegiance at Worlds and against Denial I dropped a 1.25 K/D and a 2.61 KA/D sooooooooooooooooooo I meeeeeeean

charges_mound_clotheslined_baseball.gif

• Upvote (+1) 3

Please don't make a second channel you want your stuff concentrated/centralized. 

I shot you a message on Twitch last night, not sure if you saw it or not but I was thinking about the best way to handle this going forward and have a few ideas. 

First off I think it's vital that you keep uploading your analysis videos of scrims because the scene is hurting for vods of top level play in general (i'm working on this problem so don't think you're our only hope or anything).

Are you partnered with youtube? I'm not current in my youtube knowledge but when I got partnered on my channel(s) back in the day, it came with the ability to upload longer videos. I think that the best solution to your problem is uploading one video with all of the games (cropped close together, cut out any in between chatter/answering questions from the stream), and then time-stamp each game individually in your video's description. This way your subs only get one video in their box, all your content is in one place, and the people who enjoy the scrim analysis (me) still get what they want/keeps them coming back. 

The tough part about this will be timing your conversations during the stream so that you aren't talking about any important analysis in between games/as games end so that you don't feel obligated to include the time in between actual matches in your long youtube video. Not that it would be extremely difficult or anything, but it's just one of those things you'd have to actually pay attention to. 

I've got a few other ideas that could work if you aren't partnered/still have a video time length limit, but this is the one I think holds the most merit. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hey Towey!

While I'm no YouTube Guru, I've got some suggestions!

1) Stop releasing multiple videos at once, let alone multiple in one day. You're over saturating your content. Most people arnt staying in your channel and going through every video you release, they're stopping by and checking out one, maybe two. If they're just here to check out one, the majority of YouTube users dont stay on a video in its entirety.

2) Your content is EXCELLENT. Who better to produce Halo analysis and content than the coach of one of the most dominant teams and organizations. Create different playlists on your channel for your different type of content. It'll help diversify your portfolio of work.

3) Create a schedule. This this this. Schedule videos. Release one Gameplay every 2-4 days and STICK TO THE SCHEDULE. Your viewers will appreciate a consistent schedule, they wont be bombarded with 10x videos at once, and they can take the time to appreciate the work you're doing instead of just moving to the next one. Not to mention this builds anticipation as you can build hype on social medias prior to their release, and get ideas as to what you want to do next.

I'd love to continue to discuss this, so give me a shout sometime. I'm working on my own YouTube content for Halo and the community, so I definitely think we can benefit by picking each others brains.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'll shoot you a PM later (playing new Update right now haha). A second channel isn't the right decision when you are just starting off but there is still room for Analysis in your content releases. 

Will go in-depth about it.

He could upload the best couple vids from a scrim to analyze and while he doesn't need a second channel he could have one to upload all the rest to, if he really wants to upload them all, no? Or just plug the streams a lot for those that want more.