CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Really all this does it point all signs back to a name known as "Pepe Silvia" but there is no Pepe Silvia. He doesn't exist.

tumblr_m6kdchWBSG1qfam85o1_500.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 5

I think Reality Check would make room :kappa:

**For real though, doesn't seem like Spartan should have an issue getting on a contending squad, he has to be getting offers.

This is starting to piss me off, but not really. Has NV reached out to Spartan yet or vice versa? I still think NV has the potential to be top 4 with the right 4th and go on from there. I say either Stellur or Spartan should be in NV's radar, unless they either don't want to run with him or Spartan does not want to run with them.

Just my opnion: Mikwen Ola Rayne Spartan; make it happen boyzzzzzz

• Upvote (+1) 1

I do believe Naded actually took off subscriber only past broadcasts last night, according to his twitter.

Updated original.

giphy.gif

• Upvote (+1) 3

How would you determine strength of schedule though? Scrim results, where teams may not be giving their all? A team's placing last season, where the format didn't really give a full description? What benchmark would you use?

I would probably start with adjusting a players KD based on the team he's playing by comparing it to other players who have faced the same team, finding the average KD of all those who have faced that team, and then adjusting based off that. I wouldn't include scrim results, rather, It would be tournament results and league play results. I also don't think a teams previous placing would/should have any effect on the stat, I'm just talking a KD relative to other players adjusted for quality of competition, and quality of teammates. I honestly have no idea if any of this is actually a valid way to do things, I'm just trying to throw ideas out that I've picked up from hockey analytics. Hopefully, a more stats oriented person is able to figure out stats that will actually have meaning.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Single Elimination needs to go. It's just not reasonable that the second best team could get eliminated early in the tournament because they only lost to the best team. Yes, I know that everyone should aim for first but that still doesn't mean that it's fair to be knocked out because of one loss against the best team in the tournament. These matches can go by quickly and arguably have some flukey modes/maps; we're not talking about a 3 hour long match of tennis here (and I don't even like single elimination in that).

People say that it's better for spectators, but I would ask people to consider whether they'd rather watch the two best teams in the finals or the best team vs a good team that could have had an easier bracket.

Gonna have to disagree with ya on this one.  The issue with the 2nd best team being eliminated early is due to the random seeding they used for HCS, not single elimination.  This is a "professional" competition, the best teams should have to perform well just as much as the lower seeds do.  Through all the years we had double-elim with MLG, very rarely did we have a very compelling finals (obviously there were some great ones, I know).  Each time, the Loser's Bracket winner was already fighting an uphill battle in the series.  Not to mention the fact that I still don't fully understand the rationale for a continuation series.

If you're a fan of only seeing the best teams face each other, then yes, I suppose you would support double-elimination.  But some of the best parts of tournaments like this are seeing "underdog" teams make a run deep into the tournament.  There's a reason why so many people, even those who don't like basketball, love March Madness.  If an 8 seed knocks off the 1 seed, they shouldn't have to worry about facing them again later on.  If a team loses early, their "do-over" should be at the next tournament, not in the losers bracket.

Side note: Having 3-game series in a single-elimination format is asinine.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 5

NV is going with El town, they seem to mesh well. People still seem to ignore the fact that teams have to mesh. Throwing good F/As on teams because they are good doesn't always work.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Maybe it's just a personality clash with Spartan and others. He seems to get down on himself a lot and it can be draining on teammates to constantly have to cheer him up. But then again talent should always win out, which Spartan clearly has a ton of. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Did ANY of you actually watch scrims with Liquid + spartan last night?

He was vocal, positive, and was destroying/carrying several of the games.

I hope Liquid takes him...

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is whole season. They only had 3 extra games vs the best EU team, in Epsilon.

I am definitely not trying to argue, and keep in mind penguin is a friend of mine. You are out of your EFFIN mind if you think that penguins stats aren't skewed due to the quality of teams elevate had faced this season. None the less still very impressive, and not taking away anything from my boy Zane (He is an absolute monster).

• Downvote (-1) 1

Are people really making scrim predictions now? 

What better things are there to do? In these first 262 pages we've covered the following:

• 07 FB vs CLG debate
  • DLC Maps Suck
  • Meme fad has swung into 100%
  • Roster Predictions
  • Gametype Arguments
  • Naded joined Optic-Literally the only actual change to have occurred since this thread started
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Gonna have to disagree with ya on this one.  The issue with the 2nd best team being eliminated early is due to the random seeding they used for HCS, not single elimination.  This is a "professional" competition, the best teams should have to perform well just as much as the lower seeds do.  Through all the years we had double-elim with MLG, very rarely did we have a very compelling finals (obviously there were some great ones, I know).  Each time, the Loser's Bracket winner was already fighting an uphill battle in the series.  Not to mention the fact that I still don't fully understand the rationale for a continuation series.

If you're a fan of only seeing the best teams face each other, then yes, I suppose you would support double-elimination.  But some of the best parts of tournaments like this are seeing "underdog" teams make a run deep into the tournament.  There's a reason why so many people, even those who don't like basketball, love March Madness.  If an 8 seed knocks off the 1 seed, they shouldn't have to worry about facing them again later on.  If a team loses early, their "do-over" should be at the next tournament, not in the losers bracket.

Side note: Having 3-game series in a single-elimination format is asinine.

except for the fact that in march madness the team getting knocked out isn't missing out on hundreds of thousands of dollars. i understand the best team is going to win all the same. but at the same time their is real money on the line and the difference between 2 and 3/4th was a good chunk of cash at worlds.

Perhaps even a life changing amount...... maybe?

• Upvote (+1) 2

:intel: :intel: :intel: :intel: ???

Cf_XEjx_KUAAAJfe_G_jpg_large.jpg

OpTic's 4th???? :kappa:

That hit me right in the fantasy part of my brain.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

He had to be carrying?  :/ You couldn't just say he was being a good teammate? :/

Someone has to keep Reality in Check around here

• Upvote (+1) 1

except for the fact that in march madness the team getting knocked out isn't missing out on hundreds of thousands of dollars. i understand the best team is going to win all the same. but at the same time their is real money on the line and the difference between 2 and 3/4th was a good chunk of cash at worlds.

Perhaps even a life changing amount...... maybe?

The lower seeds are playing for the same amount of money.  The higher seeds already have a much higher probability of winning that money in a single-elim format, why should we increase their chances by giving them a losers bracket?

I realize this is important to people because these players aren't making a salary, but in the end, we're still talking about a competition here, not a charity.

• Downvote (-1) 9

He had to be carrying?  :/ You couldn't just say he was being a good teammate? :/

He was, but are you gonna tell me he didn't do extremely well 2-3 of those games?

I said SEVERAL of those games last night, not all of 'em. He was a solid 4th last night, and that eden slayer, totally coached Ace into a good spree. 

Don't be so insecure apg, he needs the kind words more than you right now. :( We all know you and unlegit are solid players and played best at worlds.

But I will say, he's probably your best bet.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Go to Optic :)

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Did ANY of you actually watch scrims with Liquid + spartan last night?

He was vocal, positive, and was destroying/carrying several of the games.

I hope Liquid takes him...

Yah they may have lost the series but they had a 4/5 game streak and had some good strategy pow-wows

I would probably start with adjusting a players KD based on the team he's playing by comparing it to other players who have faced the same team, finding the average KD of all those who have faced that team, and then adjusting based off that. I wouldn't include scrim results, rather, It would be tournament results and league play results. I also don't think a teams previous placing would/should have any effect on the stat, I'm just talking a KD relative to other players adjusted for quality of competition, and quality of teammates. I honestly have no idea if any of this is actually a valid way to do things, I'm just trying to throw ideas out that I've picked up from hockey analytics. Hopefully, a more stats oriented person is able to figure out stats that will actually have meaning.

So, for example, EG is playing CLG. The overall average KD against CLG is 1.1. Roy has a KD of 1.5. Since Roy has a higher KD you then boost his adjusted KD stat? Did I get that right? If you had to do this for every team would you simply average all of the adjusted KD stats with a weight based on how many times he went against that team to get one final adjusted KD?

Also, the NHL has 30 teams, 82 games per team, and inter-conference play. What you suggest is fair because there is plenty of competition. Meanwhile, in the past HWC season TL never played EG or CLG at any event. 

Not to mention the fact that I still don't fully understand the rationale for a continuation series.

The only real benefit to continuation is to ensure that teams that match eachother twice don't repeat gametypes. It isn't much different in practice than playing back-to-back series in the finals. I've always like double-elim/continuation due to how much better it is at giving placings that reflect the actual ability of the teams and allowed for the widest range of gametypes to be played. Not to mention every 11 game finals series is in contention for greatest finals of all time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

He had to be carrying? :/ You couldn't just say he was being a good teammate? :/

I hope TL has health insurance to help pay for Spartan's back :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 3