CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

TIL that pressing Y is a skill. So you're saying that in close range auto's and shotguns are worth switching to? Wow never thought of that.

Here's the deal.

Aiming for the head with an AR isn't hard or skillful, but it would be if it was actually challenging to aim. Thrusting to an advantageous position/range isn't a skill, movement as a whole is always accommodating your weapons best range, that's a fact no matter what weapon you have and is a core skill of the game, especially "low skill ceiling" CoD. Pressing Y isn't a skill, knowing when to reload, when to hold and when to engage, is a skill.

Auto's COULD be made skillful, but they're not. The fact that automatics completely shit on the utility weapon which actually does require skill to use is a huge detriment to the games competetive experience.

Aiming for the head with a magnum isn't hard or skillful, but it would be if it was actually challenging to aim. I mean it's just point and shoot.

On which planet? No, you can't. You absolutely can't, unless the AR user seriously screws up.

If you just stand there and let the guy shoot you but if you are moving and thrusting it's very easy to dodge ar shots and give yourself time for 6 or 7 pistol shots.

• Downvote (-1) 6

Str8 Sick is loving his new potential teammates. He just said its nice not to have to be a one man show anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Who has a better shot Contra or Royal 2.

Royal 2 is definitely better with snipe, Contra might be slightly better with pistol idk. Both are amazing.

Contra's FFA streams are a good watch if you want to see someone win pistol vs. AR battles.

Who has a better shot Contra or Royal 2.

I would definitely say Contra has a better shot. Kid just doesn't miss. However, I think Royal 2 has better positioning which is why he has such insane stats. It also helps to have teammates like he does, but from a pure shot standpoint I would have to go Contra.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Thanks for the write up, I appreciate it. Is it safe to assume you believe that skill behind aiming should be considered the only thing that makes a player good? I believe positioning and weapon knowledge are just as important. Aiming is only one facet of being a pro.

No problem man.

No, I think that positioning/awareness are even more important for a good player than accuracy (unless a player can't hit a single shot, obviously).

I mentioned in my rambling, long post that I thought that ARs detracted heavily from accuracy skill gap while adding nothing to positioning skill gap or maybe even taking some positioning skill away and that it only added the tiniest skill gap in weapon knowledge.

This will be hugely oversimplifying it but I'll try to represent it with numbers:

Autos would be like

+0.2 to weapon knowledge skill gap

-5 to positioning skill gap

-20 to accuracy skill gap

So it's a net negative to comp even though there is one small benefit

No problem man.

No, I think that positioning/awareness are even more important for a good player than accuracy (unless a player can't hit a single shot, obviously).

I mentioned in my rambling, long post that I thought that ARs detracted heavily from accuracy skill gap while adding nothing to positioning skill gap or maybe even taking some positioning skill away and that it only added the tiniest skill gap in weapon knowledge.

This will be hugely oversimplifying it but I'll try to represent it with numbers:

Autos would be like

+0.2 to weapon knowledge skill gap

-5 to positioning skill gap

-20 to accuracy skill gap

So it's a net negative to comp even though there is one small benefit

I disagree and I've explained why earlier

The thread at this point 

giphy.gif

Is it really? Maybe if we were discussing radar because everyone agrees it sucks but we're having a genuine debate about autos rn

• Upvote (+1) 1

ALG up 5-2 against Elevate right now... every game is down to the wire though.

This Elevate squad has so much potential if they can figure out communication - a lot of arguing right now, but not too negative (nothing near Danoxide levels).

Also subbed to Randa and got roasted by chat  :mj:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I disagree. I find missing bullets with the ar much more likely and much more punishing in even fights where you don't have the advantage. I win pistol vs ar fights just as much as I lose them. With the other autos obviously it's a different situation.

Well of course you're going to miss bullets with the AR because it has a spread and shoots so quickly. Do you really think missing a few bullets with that is as punishing as missing a few pistol bullets at close range?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is it really? Maybe if we were discussing radar because everyone agrees it sucks but we're having a genuine debate about autos rn

As someone who couldn't care less about autos because 343 are never going to change them, yes it is.

Thanks for the write up, I appreciate it. Is it safe to assume you believe that skill behind aiming should be considered the only thing that makes a player good? I believe positioning and weapon knowledge are just as important. Aiming is only one facet of being a pro. 

Reductive reasoning can be applied to anything. "Skill" is just some word that gets thrown around and has bunch of different meanings. To me, skill is being able to utilize everything the game has to offer and keep winning. A good example is everyone on CLG are skilled players. They know the sandbox down to a science, they know the maps, they know the limitations of player abilities, and they can all 5 shot across the map. 

Knowing when to press Y is a skill - because I watched so many try and engage a CQC encounter with a pistol. 

Finally, I am just getting tired of the word "skill" getting thrown around and it representing only one facet of what is required to be a pro. Yeah, aiming is important, but there are a bunch of other things needed to standout. 

It's not reductive reasoning. Saying automatics are skillful (i.e challenging to use, requiring expertise) because players need to think to use it in it's best situation is redundant. That's the case with every single weapon in the sandbox. That's been part of Halo's core since day one; utility weapons have broad situational effectiveness, niche weapons have narrow situational effectiveness.

Aiming for the head with a magnum isn't hard or skillful, but it would be if it was actually challenging to aim. I mean it's just point and shoot.

If you just stand there and let the guy shoot you but if you are moving and thrusting it's very easy to dodge ar shots and give yourself time for 6 or 7 pistol shots.

If an AR guy fires the first few shots with a ~1.2 second kill time, and you have to react with your pistol which has a ~1.2 second killtime.

You have to hit every shot just to have a chance at trading, miss one shot and you're guaranteed to die, miss more than that and you likely havent dropped his shields. And this is all assuming you can turn on someone with complete accuracy, with the hardest aiming gun in the game.

I don't know what reality you're living in.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Well of course you're going to miss bullets with the AR because it has a spread and shoots so quickly. Do you really think missing a few bullets with that is as punishing as missing a few pistol bullets at close range?

Well if you miss more than 2 bullets with the pistol you are likely to lose to just about any gun. A perfect kill with the ar is only slightly faster than the pistol and it is very unlikely you hit every shot.

It's not reductive reasoning. Saying automatics are skillful (i.e challenging to use, requiring expertise) because players need to think to use it in it's best situation is redundant. That's the case with every single weapon in the sandbox. That's been part of Halo's core since day one; utility weapons have broad situational effectiveness, niche weapons have narrow situational effectiveness.

If an AR guy fires the first few shots with a ~1.2 second kill time, and you have to react with your pistol which has a ~1.2 second killtime.

You have to hit every shot just to have a chance at trading, miss one shot and you're guaranteed to die, miss more than that and you likely havent dropped his shields. And this is all assuming you can turn on someone with complete accuracy, with the hardest aiming gun in the game.

I don't know what reality you're living in.

You're assuming the ar hits every shot which is very unlikely.

• Downvote (-1) 3

You're being purposefully obtuse at this point holmes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

assuming the AR hits every shot would make the TTK 1.1 seconds. the numbers I described earlier cover pretty much every close range encounter, but how about we not grab at straws, yeah?

the saying is: COUDN'T care less *

If you just say "I could care less" you're telling the listener that you care at least a little because you have more cares to not give but you're reserving.

If you COULDN'T care less, then you're telling the listener that it's literally impossible for you to care less because you've already emptied your care bucket onto the driveway and watched them roll into the cup de sac where the big kids play roller hockey.

Damn kids these days. You fail me

Sorry man I'm a bit baked at the moment and was mid super fiesta game.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Anyone know which pros use a controller layout other than Bumper Jumper? 

Any HellJumper pros out there? Just curious

Rayne I believe. Don't know any others.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Rayne plays helljumper, but he has jump on a paddle so it might be closer to fishstick depending on what he uses the bumper for. Penguin and Devon play recon I think. I think I remember Flamesword playing default back when he was competing but I might be wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Rayne plays helljumper, but he has jump on a paddle so it might be closer to fishstick depending on what he uses the bumper for. Penguin and Devon play recon I think. I think I remember Flamesword playing default back when he was competing but I might be wrong.

Naded also uses Recon.

In my opinion the best settings are bumper jumper, recon, and hell jumper. I almost switched to hell jumper in h5 from bumper jumper but I didn't do it. Recon + scuf or claw is really nice though.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Well if you miss more than 2 bullets with the pistol you are likely to lose to just about any gun. A perfect kill with the ar is only slightly faster than the pistol and it is very unlikely you hit every shot.

The fact that if you miss 2 shots you will lose any fight is what is wrong with Halo 5.

It rewards positioning way too much. If you get the first 2 or 3 shots in it's 100% over. Someone should be required to have good aim and good positioning to be a pro at a shooter. Period. Back in the CE days you would almost certainly win fights if you were behind them and had decent aim but it wasn't a guarantee against the best like Ogre 1 and Gintron and KillerN. And this aiming skillgap encouraged people to keep practicing more and more at the game beyond mastering just the meta and strategy of maps.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 12