CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Maybe if there are enough BRs on the map for an entire team but that's not the case. Power weapons lead to spawnkilling far more than pistol starts

Except power weapons must be earned and are distinctly unique. If your team acquires power weapons then you probably earned them.

DMRs and BRs are more plentiful and harder to track as a team. And if you go into a fight against a DMR with a pistol it's not easy to tell until you're dead that the other guy has a slightly better weapon. If I go up against a guy that has a sword or a rocket or a sniper I can see what he's using and try to avoid them until I can get in better position.

• Upvote (+1) 4

You're right it is really fucking stupid.

Pistol should have a better perfect kill time than autos, and higher average kill time in close range to accentuate skillgap.

It is incredibly difficult to hit a perfect kill with an AR. Even if you miss a shot or two with the magnum you can win an even fight. And if the pistol was straight up better than the SMG and storm rifle what would be the point of them?

I don't want BR starts. No one said they want BR starts. And maybe one auto on the map would be fine. Not 4 on 15 second timers along with 4 rifles on 15 second timers. It makes using a pistol (the hardest weapon) pointless because other rifles are better at every range, and all the autos are better at cqc. There should be more emphasis on gunskill im this game since its, you know, a first person shooter.

I agree. There should be less weapon pickups in general on the map and all pickups need to be on tier 2 timers.

I agree. There should be less weapon pickups in general on the map and all pickups need to be on tier 2 timers.

And that's a compromise I am willing to make. Not ideal for me but it's better than what we have.

Did you just make another post that contributed nothing?

Did you just make a useless post replying to my useless post?

:kappa:

• Downvote (-1) 5

If anyone wants a distraction from this discussion, Frank Ocean just released his new album. :fire:

I panic bought it on iTunes because I didn't find any download link, I don't even know how to use itunes. First time in my life I do this. 100% worth it.

So we can beat this shit into the dirt all day but as soon as radar comes up we're derailing the thread?

• Upvote (+1) 2

However, due to the ease of the weapon, I would likely almost always take him to no shields or at least very low shields unless he got the drop on me or had a serious positioning advantage. The same can't be said of the pistol, where I would miss far more shots against a player with a good strafe and shot.

I disagree. I find missing bullets with the ar much more likely and much more punishing in even fights where you don't have the advantage. I win pistol vs ar fights just as much as I lose them. With the other autos obviously it's a different situation.

whoops didnt mean to neg my b

1) its totally not overrated.  The first time you avoid a spartan charge from behind because of the sound or know where someone is because they reloaded, it immediately becomes worth it.  And i don't mean that you know someone is around you somewhere, i mean that you know exactly where that person is.

2) Directionality is key.  You are using the "studio headphones" with no mic yes?  You want something that is geared towards gaming that specifically handles surround sound.  Sometimes the "surround" aspect can be over-emphasized (ie, sounds behind you are louder than you think they should be for example) but thats what you want for gaming anyway.

I have the OG A40's which are still going strong, but you can get some pretty good gaming headsets for about $100.

mad late reply.

Bruh you can hear/locate where someone is reloading? Thats ridiculous lol now I really am intrigued.  Yea I'm using the studio headphones w/out a mic. I actually just have those around the house and thought they'd be a good idea to test out how much a gaming headset helps out before I invest in one (college student rip). I'm planning on getting hyperx cloud headsets once I can since they're pretty cheap and I hear from multiple people that they're really good. 

But yea i was wondering if I would be able to tell where someone is through sounds (in my exp with the studio headset it didnt help much) but now that I know that I can I will probably get one in the near future.

My 2 cents:

Str8 Sick, Falcated, RammyHimself and players that are generally slaying oriented are not what this team needs. I believe Maniac and Ace are more than capable of handling the control of power weapons and cleaning up the people APG and the 4th get weak.

What Optic needs is a do-it-all player much like Lethul. Who? Someone who is loud. Someone who is aggresive. Someone who isn't afraid to go negative to make the plays necessary for the W. I would say Flamesword if he could devote a ton more time into Halo 5. I believe Commonly would be a great fit or possibly Swift Kill if he came back. A highly skilled individual who isn't just a slaying machine - an overall gamechanging freak with spunk.

I would like to see them run with Heinz. Hopefully they do tonight but I think he would be the best fit. Falcated looked good as well.

No its mostly the people complaining about what derails the thread that truly overall derails the thread.

We all know what really derails the thread.

Mods

:simms:

Haven't seen anything compelling yet and I watch every scrim and tournament game pretty much.

Thanks.

I just think a smart player will not be using a pistol in CQC situation - I like that players have to make a choice. And yes, I will wait for the write up.

TIL that pressing Y is a skill. So you're saying that in close range auto's and shotguns are worth switching to? Wow never thought of that.

Here's the deal.

Aiming for the head with an AR isn't hard or skillful, but it would be if it was actually challenging to aim. Thrusting to an advantageous position/range isn't a skill, movement as a whole is always accommodating your weapons best range, that's a fact no matter what weapon you have and is a core skill of the game, especially "low skill ceiling" CoD. Pressing Y isn't a skill, knowing when to reload, when to hold and when to engage, is a skill.

Auto's COULD be made skillful, but they're not. The fact that automatics completely shit on the utility weapon which actually does require skill to use is a huge detriment to the games competetive experience.

• Upvote (+1) 6

On which planet? No, you can't. You absolutely can't, unless the AR user seriously screws up.

I think its possible if people start spraying and praying a bit too long, thrust can mess with it a bit. For the most part yea its not incredibly hard to miss shots or anything

Edit: whoops read post wrong. Yes if you miss 2 shots i think pistol user is stumped unless what i said before is in play maybe

I wrote this on mobile and I'm tired so I apologize for formatting issues or if I'm rambling

before I start with the body of my argument, we'll have to agree that the competitive settings should be optimized for competitiveness. This might sound like a joke but I've see people here argue otherwise. Competitive settings would be those that optimize the skill gap (within reason) in the essential parts of playing halo like awareness, accuracy, communication, etc.

So, I'll start with what ARs, smgs, and storm rifles add.

1. They add the skill gap of knowing to use them at close range.

That's all I can think of. It is an extremely minimal skill gap; any decent player can play a few games and get a sense of the effective range of when to use automatic weapons.

Now let's look at what they take away from the competitiveness of the game

1. Accuracy skill gap: it's true that Autos take SOME coordination skill to use. So does taking a shit in a toilet. My dog can do that and he could probably use an smg with reasonable effectiveness, too. In all seriousness, someone like cratos would probably point out that he would outshoot me with an Ar more often than not. That's probably true. However, due to the ease of the weapon, I would likely almost always take him to no shields or at least very low shields unless he got the drop on me or had a serious positioning advantage. The same can't be said of the pistol, where I would miss far more shots against a player with a good strafe and shot.

At this point, you might point out that rockets aren't that hard to aim either and I'm not complaining about them. However, those spawn rarely and in one place (often an easily contested position). In other words, their ease of use and power are balanced by the difficulty of obtaining them, their relatively low ammo, and the fact that they take a long time to spawn. The same can't be said of ARs that you spawn with and storm rifles and smgs that are seemingly on every map and respawn every microsecond. I'm not saying they're as strong as rockets obviously but this brings me to...

2. Unbalanced compared to primary weapon: as the weakest of the autos(other than maybe suppressor which I've never tried), the AR that you spawn with is strong enough to beat the pistol in close quarters unless the pistol player manages to hit every shot. I've seen this happen so many times with pro players so it has nothing to do with my skill level. The smg and storm rifle will dominate any precision weapon (other than sniper) in close quarters even if the precision weapon hits every shot. It's not a counter argument to simply say, "well that's their role". Otherwise, I could just say, "who cares if we spawn with shotguns? Their role is to be good at close range. I enjoy being able to choose between the weapons". It's not really an argument. The question is does competitive halo need weapons that almost completely remove the accuracy skill gap of close range fights. I would say no. Think about the times where you've gotten first shots with the br in previous games in someone's back at close range and he's managed to turn around and embarrass you with a good strafe and shot. That never happens in this game because the autos are so strong and easy. It removes skill and it removes excitement for players and spectators. You might say that it's part of the skill to keep your distance from storm rifle users or whatever. This is partially true but mostly bullshit. It is incredibly common to see a pro player camping and watching their radar until another person goes by. At that point, the camping player storm rifles the player in the back and the other player has no chance because at this point it's like call of duty. Whoever sees the other player first wins. then there are modes like empire strongholds where even at the pro level it's an autofest

People have said that pistol starts only would make the game only about brute accuracy and that ARs make the game more about "positional gameplay". This is a fallacy. If I'm in a power position with cover and get in a pistol fight with a player who is in the open I'll have a very good chance of winning even if his shot is better than mine.

There's so much more to say but let's start with this

Thanks for the write up, I appreciate it. Is it safe to assume you believe that skill behind aiming should be considered the only thing that makes a player good? I believe positioning and weapon knowledge are just as important. Aiming is only one facet of being a pro. 

TIL that pressing Y is a skill. So you're saying that in close range auto's and shotguns are worth switching to? Wow never thought of that.

Here's the deal.

Aiming for the head with an AR isn't hard or skillful, but it would be if it was actually challenging to aim. Thrusting to an advantageous position/range isn't a skill, movement as a whole is always accommodating your weapons best range, that's a fact no matter what weapon you have and is a core skill of the game, especially "low skill ceiling" CoD. Pressing Y isn't a skill, knowing when to reload, when to hold and when to engage, is a skill.

Auto's COULD be made skillful, but they're not. The fact that automatics completely shit on the utility weapon which actually does require skill to use is a huge detriment to the games competetive experience.

Reductive reasoning can be applied to anything. "Skill" is just some word that gets thrown around and has bunch of different meanings. To me, skill is being able to utilize everything the game has to offer and keep winning. A good example is everyone on CLG are skilled players. They know the sandbox down to a science, they know the maps, they know the limitations of player abilities, and they can all 5 shot across the map. 

Knowing when to press Y is a skill - because I watched so many try and engage a CQC encounter with a pistol. 

Finally, I am just getting tired of the word "skill" getting thrown around and it representing only one facet of what is required to be a pro. Yeah, aiming is important, but there are a bunch of other things needed to standout. 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Who has a better shot Contra or Royal 2.

contra might have the better pistol shot but i rarely watch royal 2s stream.. besides the incredible gameplay its painfully dull