CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I will say this about the gametypes and maps, I play once a week with old friends from high school (been playing together since H3). These guys don't follow MLG/HCS/ESL, they could honestly care less about competitive Halo. They always absolutely hate the new gametypes and maps that are tested for Halo 5 Arena. Not because they are new, but because they are never good. We had a few rage quit sessions when the 2 binary rifles were on Coliseum a few months back :huh:

I honestly don't mind seeing or trying new stuff, but it just comes off as throwing random stuff at players and maybe something will stick with us. I rather them fine tune weapons and maps, maybe actually add a decent map for players to play to begin with would help too. I get they're free, but I haven't been impressed with any of the DLC maps for Arena.

Hope it works out for the players, fans and everyone within the community.

It is very rare for games / developers, especially those with active competitive scenes just come right out of the gate with updates that amaze their respective scenes. Also the console market especially has a very hard time accepting that the process can be iterative and that there will obviously be bumps in the road towards progress. The big backlash that was mentioned a few pages back with CS and Valve doing a U-turn happened around Christmas time and they've only just in the last few weeks brought out the changes that were more in line with what people were originally asking for:

Original Patch

Shitstorm

Detailed feedback

Statement and retraction

8 months later...

New Patch

Very similar things are happening all the time to different degrees in CS and other comp games. Overwatch for instance is reiterating how asymmetrical gametypes (the core of their game) decide a winner because their first attempt was frankly dogshit for a game that ties a whole lot at the comp level - a literal coinflip decided the side for a single point for people who don't follow the game. It doesn't come easy for any game, especially in areas that are so subjective like map design and game balance.

God I hate when people say "stop acting entitled" when it comes to video games. You people are why we get shitty half ass finished games at launch.

Most of the people on this site who say you 'shouldn't expect anything' actually wait and don't buy shitty half ass finished games.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So both Truth and Regret suffer reasonably from one team getting ahead and snowballing right? Anyone find it interesting that in order to fix this on Regret they moved the BRs inside the base making them as easy as possible to get for the team that is behind (good idea), while the last update to Truth moved the only rifles on the map to the mid points, giving them to the team that already has control (bad idea)?

I mean, I guess I shouldn't be surprised at this point right? :/

The rifle change on Regret is good... but they also added a Scattershot...which kinda offsets anything the rifle move does.

Most of the people on this site who say you 'shouldn't expect anything' actually wait and don't buy shitty half ass finished games.

It is part of the reason why I still don't own Overwatch. Didn't get H5 until Christmas. You have to see what direction the developers want to go and how they plan to support the game. Right now, Blizzard is rapidly updating Overwatch because of how it took off. On the flip side, they are just now testing a patch for Starcraft LoTV which is a game that has suffered from balance issues since launch 8 months ago. 

The rifle change on Regret is good... but they also added a Scattershot...which kinda offsets anything the rifle move does.

Sure, I was just commenting on the change in rifle placements as 343 seems to have done opposite things with them on maps that have similar issues.

Overgrowth Strongholds isn't my favorite game mode, but I'd let it stay and remove Empire Strongholds. Riptide might be one of the worst maps in the history of Halo, but I think they should try adding teleporters. Surely it wouldn't play much worse. Probably still wouldn't be enough to save the map though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Uhhh. 

Up until this update, that's what it was turned into. They made a big deal about it becoming a playlist with just the HCS settings. After this preview period, they'll likely do the same so it matches up with the Fall season settings.

Unless I missed the fact that this changed at some point?

EDIT:

Source: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/team-arena-refresh

Guess that's what I get for not playing for the last 3 months...

You're missing the point of the players union. It's about the implication...

......that changes will be made when in fact there won't likely be any?

Instead of changing the Team Arena playlist, they should introduce another playlist like Overwatch does with their Public Test Region. So in people's down time they can join in that to test stuff out but when they want to play for realz and/or with a team of friends not in a whacky list, use Team Arena. Just a thought.

The idea of Team Arena is to have the same setting they use in HCS, so anybody can practice like the pros. imo, they need to separate a testing playlist from ones that reflect the official Gametypes/settings.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So what do you guys think about assault Tyrant? That's the only other entirely new map being added right?

Instead of changing the Team Arena playlist, they should introduce another playlist like Overwatch does with their Public Test Region. So if in people's down time they can join in that to test stuff out but when they want to play for realz and/or with a team of friends not in a whacky list, use Team Arena. Just a thought.

Yeah I feel like the arena population must be really low if they won't separate the preview playlist from the main one.

• Upvote (+1) 1

In the same token, a lot of us have given a lot of constructive feedback since Halo: Reach and it didn't make a difference for the most part. I don't know about a lot of you guys, but I've reached the point where I see no point in giving constructive feedback and just roll my eyes as it happens.

It also feels like a slap in the face when people type out extremely long and well thought out post giving them feedback which they disregard and only reply to the post saying "this sux".

• Upvote (+1) 5

Instead of changing the Team Arena playlist, they should introduce another playlist like Overwatch does with their Public Test Region. So in people's down time they can join in that to test stuff out but when they want to play for realz and/or with a team of friends not in a whacky list, use Team Arena. Just a thought.

Exactly, this is my first weekend off in a month and I can't even play because I don't enjoy the other playlists.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

It also feels like a slap in the face when people type out extremely long and well thought out post giving them feedback which they disregard and only reply to the post saying "this sux".

I think that's the worst, you see like 15 good posts on here then someone chimes in with "this is ass" and a studio person will reply to that one.

• Upvote (+1) 8

100% agree.

Good thing Towey didn't post that here. He would have been negged to death for acting like an adult. 

Exactly, this is my first weekend off in a month and I can't even play because I don't enjoy the other playlists.

You can't play? Like you're literally incapable of launching a playlist because they made changes to it? 343 came to your house, told your mother to stop cooking the meatloaf, and stole your Halo 5 disc?

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 7

I think that's the worst, you see like 15 good posts on here then someone chimes in with "this is ass" and a studio person will reply to that one.

It's bullshit. I honestly think it's because it's easier to give a half assed sarcastic response to "this is ass" than to give an actual defense against the more serious complaints.

Im surprised nobody has posted this yet.

https://twitter.com/quinndelhoyo/status/767030817914617856  

343 tries to implement breakout for 2 months post-launch and then @@SnakeBite said nobody wanted it yet somebody from 343 claimed that most players wanted it. Beyond makes a poll, 2 days later..... breakout is officially gone from the league. 

343 tries to implement torque, insert pic with Ninja  wearing sunglasses, Quinn makes comeback at him.

343 flys out 8 members  of each team for 2 days and this is the new setting they come up with? One would think that they would speak up when they have the opportunity to speak to 343 face to face. 

Anyway, I'm going to sit in a corner and remember the good old days with no radar and autos in competitive halo  :mj:

I wonder why there hasn't been a poll for radar yet. I'd be surprised if it was voted for to stay on.

The pros have the most push, if they all agree against/for something that change is more likely to be implemented then if us, the rest of the community, complains about it.

In the same token, a lot of us have given a lot of constructive feedback since Halo: Reach and it didn't make a difference for the most part. I don't know about a lot of you guys, but I've reached the point where I see no point in giving constructive feedback and just roll my eyes as it happens.

I think a lot of us have reached (eheheh) that point. I struggle at this point to actually care enough to approach things constructively. Mostly down to the fact that SO many good posts and points have come and gone without even the slightest acknowledgement from 343. They've basically ignored people into silence the vast majority of the time.

• Upvote (+1) 3