CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Wow, the ability to play test new settings and provide feedback?... And people still complain without giving the setting proper testing. If I were 343, I would move on to another project and let you all suffer. I hear CoD is still popular these days  :glasses:

The thing is, we wouldn't be so annoyed if they did a separate playlist for it and not force it Arena.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't appreciate being forced to "test" established bad maps and settings with non-sensical reasoning behind them in matchmaking.

I wish you were 343.

None of us are not entitled to anything when it comes to video games.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 10

The thing is, we wouldn't be so annoyed if they did a separate playlist for it and not force it Arena.

See, now that makes sense. But I disagree. People would complain their asses off no matter what playlist they did/did not create. Maybe you wouldn't be so annoyed. I wouldn't be either, but this community has developed an air of petulance that is very frustrating and counterproductive.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 17

Lol wtf is this supposed to mean?

I guess we weren't entitled to a working MCC either.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Final: TL 8-6 E6

Pretty close games for the most part. Empire SH was literally 100-99. I like both teams a lot. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Lol wtf is this supposed to mean?

I guess we weren't entitled to a working MCC either.

Nope. You can look back at video game history and find a HUGE graveyard of failed projects/ideas/money pits/etc. Broken games get released all the time. It's the reason why speed running exists. The bottom line is that we are consumers of companies/developers that regularly put out shit products. It is rare when one of these developers actually lends an ear to the community instead of taking our money and running the other direction. I'm glad this is not happening with Halo. I am glad the game is still getting support so late after launch and that there is a commitment to constantly explore new ways to change/improve the game. It is more effort than what 99% of developers make.  

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 12

See, now that makes sense. But I disagree. People would complain their asses off no matter what playlist they did/did not create. Maybe you wouldn't be so annoyed. I wouldn't be either, but this community has developed an air of petulance that is very frustrating and counterproductive.

To be perfectly frank, this pretentious, condescending "complaining about people complaining" stupidity is pretty much the least productive endeavor I can possibly imagine. After a good 4 years worth of baffling management of this series and its content, I think people are being perfectly reasonable when they get annoyed by what essentially looks like 343 throwing a bunch of random bullshit at a wall and seeing what sticks. And the fact that there is only one playlist in the game that contains a selection of generally acceptable game types and they are fucking THAT up in order to do so is yet another example of baffling, tone deaf, borderline incompetence. An air of "petulance?" Are you actually serious? Could you have your head any further up your own ass? What exactly is your idea of "productive?" Taking it from behind as this IP is run even further into the ground?

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 2

To be perfectly frank, this pretentious, condescending "complaining about people complaining" stupidity is pretty much the least productive endeavor I can possibly imagine. After a good 4 years worth of baffling management of this series and its content, I think people are being perfectly reasonable when they get annoyed by what essentially looks like 343 throwing a bunch of random bullshit at a wall and seeing what sticks. And the fact that there is only one playlist in the game that contains a selection of generally acceptable game types and they are fucking THAT up in order to do so is yet another example of baffling, tone deaf, borderline incompetence. An air a "petulance?" Are you actually serious? Could you have your head any further up your own ass? What exactly is your idea of "productive?" Taking it from behind as this IP is run even further into the ground?

Then perhaps Halo should've died with Reach. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 5

Nope. You can look back at video game history and find a HUGE graveyard of failed projects/ideas/money pits/etc. Broken games get released all the time. It's the reason why speed running exists. The bottom line is that we are consumers of companies/developers that regularly put out shit products. It is rare when one of these developers actually lends an ear to the community instead of taking our money and running the other direction. I'm glad this is not happening with Halo. I am glad the game is still getting support so late after launch and that there is a commitment to constantly explore new ways to change/improve the game. It is more effort than what 99% of developers make.  

I don't care about shitty gaming events of the past, nor do I think it gives a pass for more current fuck-ups.

I don't enjoy that 343 turns their only competitive playlist into a test-session, and I'll say that on a forum. I'm entitled to that much. Don't turn this into an "entitlement" issue. Not sure which planet that came from.

• Upvote (+1) 3

A lot of companies suck so we should be happy 343 sucks slightly less and puts out a few patches after launching two broken, unfinished games in a row that millions of people purchased for $60 on good faith.

Sure, and 343 is not entitled to our money. Hopefully more people wake up and stop opening their wallets for anything Halo related. You guys want meaningful change? Stop giving them money.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sure, and 343 is not entitled to our money. Hopefully more people wake up and stop opening their wallets for anything Halo related. You guys want meaningful change? Stop giving them money.

That's true 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Metas shift without map changes. If you change things in maps every 3 months nothing will develop further than first thoughts.

Fucking nailed it. How can we ever see what the game is actually capable of in regards to meta and strategy and skillgap if the best players have to refocus on new layouts? I posted on the halo Facebook post about this update that 343 must not have a high amount of confidence in their game's skillgap or their maps if they are constantly changing them to keep things fresh.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

343 must not have a high amount of confidence in their game's skillgap or their maps if they are constantly changing them to keep things fresh.

Meanwhile Riot is still on a 2 week patch cycle 7 years after release.

• Upvote (+1) 1

To be perfectly frank, this pretentious, condescending "complaining about people complaining" stupidity is pretty much the least productive endeavor I can possibly imagine. After a good 4 years worth of baffling management of this series and its content, I think people are being perfectly reasonable when they get annoyed by what essentially looks like 343 throwing a bunch of random bullshit at a wall and seeing what sticks. And the fact that there is only one playlist in the game that contains a selection of generally acceptable game types and they are fucking THAT up in order to do so is yet another example of baffling, tone deaf, borderline incompetence. An air a "petulance?" Are you actually serious? Could you have your head any further up your own ass? What exactly is your idea of "productive?" Taking it from behind as this IP is run even further into the ground?

I feel like something that would be actually productive is to play the maps first (I realize that weapon swaps won't diguise bad map design) and then give serious thought out feedback as to why the map is good or bad and why it should be removed or kept (hopefully there's already a thread here for that feedback, I haven't checked). I personally like some of the maps that people here don't like at all (Stasis, Tyrant, and Molten), and while I'm sure that there's a good reason for the distaste, I rarely see feedback that goes beyond "this map sucks balls sadMJ" or "Backwash>*map*". If I were a dev, I'd be more inclined to listen to feedback like "Overgrowth is a poor map for competitive play because it's 90% hallways and the power weapon and power up placements are lopsided." It's also worth noting that this same exact shit happened the last time we had a Team Arena preview. 343 made bad changes, people hated the changes, and the maps came out the other end more or less the way that the community wanted.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I'm not going to agree or disagree, but the problem with damnation isn't it's verticality, it's that it's separated into red or snipe side, and there's no way to get to the other side once your position is known. so you're just pinned the whole game as the only way to get to green/camo plat is through a tunnel whether its clinky or teleporter to an open catwalk. You're just funneled into one place, approaching is a losing game.

If you moved camo to shotties or something it would open up strategies for map movement. The map works now because of the nade tricks around contesting camo.

Earning billions of dollars from one property is a pretty good motivator

• Upvote (+1) 2

Earning billions of dollars from one property is a pretty good motivator

Emphasis was on the "patching every 2 weeks" not the "maintaining one game for 7 years"

Out of curiosity, how many would have played these settings enough to provide detailed feedback if they were in a separate playlist?

I'm not saying you need to play 3 games of each before your opinion is valid becsuse you will be able to tell some stuff is stupid straight off (like if they put an OS in red Base on fathom and blue Base got a suppressor) but I wonder if they expect this to massively increase the feedback they get. If so, they may be willing to risk the aggro of the changes just to ensure they're properly play tested

• Upvote (+1) 1

Emphasis was on the "patching every 2 weeks" not the "maintaining one game for 7 years"

Doesn't change what I said. Constant updates with balance changes, bug fixes and new skins is part of the reason why they earn so much money. If every time 343i patched the game they sold a million REQ packs, they'd update more often as well (and yes, I know Riot doesn't add new skins every patch, but you get what I mean). 

Cause comparing an even starts fps to a champions dota game where minor changes affect balance between every champion character that will cascade makes sense.

Doesn't change what I said. Constant updates with balance changes, bug fixes and new skins is part of the reason why they earn so much money. If every time 343i patched the game they sold a million REQ packs, they'd update more often as well (and yes, I know Riot doesn't add new skins every patch, but you get what I mean). 

You're missing the point, apparently, as I was replying to someone who said

"343 must not have a high amount of confidence in their game's skillgap or their maps if they are constantly changing them to keep things fresh."

Meanwhile, League of Legends, a game with the most successful esports scene and a game that turned an indie company of 30-50 employees into a sprawling company with offices in cities all over the world and over 1000 employees in their LA headquarters alone, patches on a 2 week basis...with an intentional design to keep a revolving door of balance and constantly force changes to their metagame, in order to keep things fresh.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You're missing the point, apparently, as I was replying to someone who said

"343 must not have a high amount of confidence in their game's skillgap or their maps if they are constantly changing them to keep things fresh."

Meanwhile, League of Legends, a game with the most successful esports scene and a game that turned an indie company of 30-50 employees into a sprawling company with offices in cities all over the world and over 1000 employees in their LA headquarters alone, patches on a 2 week basis...with an intentional design to keep a revolving door of balance and constantly force changes to their metagame, in order to keep things fresh.

Oh okay, I see what you mean now. Although I'm personally not a fan of several of Riot's design and balance philosophies. 

Wouldn't be a fan of that system. It's fine the way it is imo. Series score should be nothing more than a tiebreaker if overall record can't decide a placing.

win-loss would still be paramount. points would onnly be used as tiebreakers

I don't appreciate being forced to "test" established bad maps and settings with non-sensical reasoning behind them in matchmaking.

I wish you were 343.

Overgrowth strongholds is vastly superior to Empire strongholds. It's worth testing to replace it.

• Upvote (+1) 4